JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
VJ if someone can see your gun it's no longer concealed and you are in breach of the law. Period. For the same reason when you open carry somone just has to feel uncomfortable with you carry to feel you are threatening them and it's illegal.

Laws are not on our side.

VJ if someone can see your gun it's no longer concealed and you are in breach of the law. Period. For the same reason when you open carry somone just has to feel uncomfortable with you carry to feel you are threatening them and it's illegal.

Laws are not on our side.

Both untrue. I don't have time to look up the RCWs but it is not illegal for your gun to show when you are concealed carrying, WA is an open carry state. Also threatening/brandishing or whatever is not based on the standard of what other people feel. If no one looks up the RCWs I will try to find them after work today and put them up.

<broken link removed>

Tell that to Kurk kirby that had his gun taken and was cited.

Sadly it doesn't matter what the law is, it matters what that officer that gets called from some ignorant citizen opinion is. Then they let the courts deal with it.

I think the police should be better schooled in the laws and lessen the burden of the courts on BS arrests, and citations.

We are all familiar with the Kirby story. Does not change the fact that the law does not say your CCP license means you can only carry concealed. my gun shows sometimes and so what! I don't stand around waiting for the cops to come harass me, kirby was trying to make a point.

Uhh.. if someone notices or your gun shows it isn't illegal in OR. In fact, you can open carry if you want to. It just draws attention that most people prefer to avoid is all which is why we like to keep it concealed. It's also important if you are carrying in your workplace/school and if it is noticed you risk being fired/expelled.

I am sure you are aware, there are numerous people in Washington that Open carry, and have no issues with it. If a LEO arrests you for "causing alarm" when no one is running around in a panic or alarm.. You just might have yourself a civil rights lawsuit.

Thats just FYI.

this brings up a thought that I had a few weeks ago while reading this forum. In a state like WA, where open carry is legal, and you are carrying concealed, and by some accident your weapon becomes visible, are you then just "open carrying"? Where is the line drawn?

Next month will be 8 years of conceal carrying for me. After this much time, I really don't have any concerns, and am not even bothered with the thought of someone spotting my carry piece. I'm pretty sure people have seen my supposed concealed weapon over the years, but nobody has ever said anything to me about it or called the police. Just like Clearconscience, I started out carrying a 92fs. Did that for 6 1/2 years before I switched to Springfield XD's. Here is something I see posted on another forum about once a month...

Welcome to CC!

You will learn not everyone can see the outline of your gun and not every movement flashes it.

You will learn not everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"

You will learn that the more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.

You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.

You will learn to not tug on the hem of yourshirt every 5 minutes to assure yourself you're still concealed.

You will learn to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.

You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.

You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side.

You will learn to reach overhead with your weak-side hand.

You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.

You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.

In short, you will learn

Three weeks into carrying whenever I can, and I'm about 70% through learning everything on that list. :D

I will say that this morning, when I was down at PSU and could not carry for about 5 hours, I felt very naked. It was surprising how quickly my mindset has changed from just a few weeks ago...

this brings up a thought that I had a few weeks ago while reading this forum. In a state like WA, where open carry is legal, and you are carrying concealed, and by some accident your weapon becomes visible, are you then just "open carrying"? Where is the line drawn?

There is no "line" in state where open carry is legal. If you can see the gun it is open carry, that simple. Even if you carry in a IWB holster and all you can see it the butt of the gun, that is open carry. Having a carry permit simply allows you to completely conceal the gun legally.

Say it is winter time. I walk into a store with my gun strong carry in a OWB holster and have my coat on, it is currying concealed, with permit no law broken. It is warm so I take my coat off and my gun is exposed, it now open carry, no law broken. There is no such thing as half open or half concealed.

Three weeks into carrying whenever I can, and I'm about 70% through learning everything on that list. :D

I will say that this morning, when I was down at PSU and could not carry for about 5 hours, I felt very naked. It was surprising how quickly my mindset has changed from just a few weeks ago...

Nobody has posted them yet. Here are the RCW's for WA. Read them, re read them, bookmark them, read them again then keep them for reference, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

There is a section that tells you exactly where you can not carry since some of the info earlier in this post is wrong. Read them and find out for yourself vs what someone tells you. If you have questions make sure to ask.

Sounds like you are on track though. Keep up the good work.

There is no "line" in state where open carry is legal. If you can see the gun it is open carry, that simple. Even if you carry in a IWB holster and all you can see it the butt of the gun, that is open carry. Having a carry permit simply allows you to completely conceal the gun legally.

Say it is winter time. I walk into a store with my gun strong carry in a OWB holster and have my coat on, it is currying concealed, with permit no law broken. It is warm so I take my coat off and my gun is exposed, it now open carry, no law broken. There is no such thing as half open or half concealed.

excellent. this makes me that much more comfortable

Since Open Carry is legal in WA the only "crime" is when someone without a CPL tries to conceal a gun. I don't see how it can work inversely. You might get harassed unnecessarily for open carry but you are not in violation of any laws (assuming you aren't in a govt. building, etc.).

Nobody has posted them yet. Here are the RCW's for WA. Read them, re read them, bookmark them, read them again then keep them for reference, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

There is a section that tells you exactly where you can not carry since some of the info earlier in this post is wrong. Read them and find out for yourself vs what someone tells you. If you have questions make sure to ask.

Sounds like you are on track though. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the link. I have read them several times, and do have them bookmarked. Always good info to have. I know at PSU (Portland State) I cannot, as I have specifically looked up the information in their regulations (and also found some interesting controversies surrounding them as well).

The longer you carry, the more at ease you will become. I've been carrying over 40 years, but I am never comfortable, or complacent about carrying a firearm. I am always aware of my responsibility while carrying, I just don't worry about being "outed" any longer. I've adapted my lifestyle and my manner of dress around carrying guns, so they are comforting, but never comfortable.

You can carry at PSU under Oregon law but apparently it's pretty risky as the city of Portland has a track record of going after people. You might also get expelled if they find out.

Tell no one, keep it concealed. In my opinion you do one or the other. Open carry all the way or deep concealment. I like to try and pick people out who are carrying a 1911 in an OWB holster wearing a relatively tight shirt or have the holster sticking out beneath their coat.

There are guns made for CCW, while others are NOT!

You can carry at PSU under Oregon law but apparently it's pretty risky as the city of Portland has a track record of going after people. You might also get expelled if they find out.

QUOTE]

Gary Pearlstein (a professor at PSU) used to dare the administration to arrest/fire him since it was well known that he packed everyday he was at PSU. This went on for over a decade and the administration didn't do a damned thing.

The City of Portland can't regulate firearms on PSU's campus if the individual has a CHL and is abiding by all laws. The school can and probably will expel you but you won't have any problems with PPB.

I carried when I was in college. A big fullsize CZ-75 too since it was the only defensive caliber handgun I had at the time and no one was the wiser (IWB carry). Generally, people don't expect you to be carrying so they aren't looking for it. It just isn't a common enough thing in society today, especially for students in school.

I OWB carry every day. That means it has a coat of some sort covering it in the winter and nothing covering it in the summer. Just learn where you are not permitted to carry at all and just do what you feel comfortable with. Learning your RCWs is enlightening.
Dave
View attachment 193696

Hey, whatever you feel comfortable with.

Dave, you are a prime example of what I was talking about. That sucker needs a Alaskan winter parka to cover it up! Aren't you concerned about some sort or retention when open carrying that shiny monster?

Don't you guys think that the good guy is at a disadvantage already? Why show your cards? Why not minimize the chances of printing? Why not conceal as best you can?

Last Edited:
In winter, any coat I have covers well.
In T shirt weather, I will print with my 1911s. I choose to OWB open carry and not have the worry. Legally.
Situation awareness, my arm in front of my gun, and a snug holster keeps my guns where they belongs.
My age, general look and the way I present myself, make a difference in how I am perceived . (In my opinion)
I did not do this when I was younger.
You said it well when you said
HAY, WHATEVER YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH.
Dave

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews