JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just received my concealed 3 days ago and every time I go out I always have it in the back of my mind that I'm printing or something will show that's not suppose to and someone else will cause a big ruckus thinking I'm about to shoot up the place.

Is this something every new carrier deals with and eventually gets over?

Should it even bother me?

What are the ramifications of my concealed weapon seeing the light of day?

No, I've never really gotten over it and I've been carrying for over 24 years.

Maybe

If someone sees the weapon it's no longer "concealed" and they might call a LEO. If it "alarmed" a citizen enough you could be arrested. Concealed means "concealed", totally, all the time.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

You'll eventually get over it, I've been carrying for 3 years now, mostly a full size 1911 and if you have a good enough holster to match your clothes, you'll be fine, just dont try and use a hip holster with a tank top on while playing basketball, people will totally notice. Most people aren't looking at you to size you up for what gun your carrying. They're all sheeps.

Yeah I spoke with some LEOs and one of the signs they look for if someone is carrying gun is the person continuously pulling/tugging their shirt. I've been carrying seldomly for 9 years or so and I'm still cautious, but you should be. I'm not saying be paranoid. I'm saving up for a good holster and gun belt. Ive heard that makes all the difference. So when I get those I can try it out again and hopefully be more comfortable and secure. Also try using a small frame handgun to start while you get used to it.
I started carrying a FS Beretta 92. Talk about a big and heavy gun to start carrying with. But I did so without problems for a couple years. But I was paranoid.

Get a smaller frame gun, get the right holster, and carry a lot! Even if your going to a friends house to hangout. Just know where you can and cannot go. Banks, schools, bars, govt buildings, etc. And don't tell anyone. Not even your friends. They tend to talk about it.
I was carrying one time and my friend went to jokingly hit me and he hit the butt of my gun and started asking what it was, "is that a gun!" I almost had to smack him in the mouth.

You can certainly carry in banks, unless they're stupid and post a notice saying you can't. WA state law allows it, anyway. As well, you can carry in restaurants that have bars, just not in the bar itself. Gov't buildings are a confusing lot, but most of them will be posted if its not allowed. Most malls are posted stating no firearms are allowed, but I just might (...) carry anyway. If they happen to spot you, all they can ask you to do is leave. They're generic security, often cop wannabes, with not much of a brain, so aren't so good at spotting handguns when they'd rather spot tight pants on pretty girls. Just leave when they ask you to, which prevents any laws from being broken. If you don't, then real police will get involved.
Interesting ref: http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2010/08/19/news/news03.txt
<broken link removed> (I've been to Kennesaw and love that town!)

I carry a G30 IWB alll the time...and yes through out my walking and bending and what not my shirt will creep up, but i have made a habit of just sliding my hand across my side time to time to make sure its covered up... Iv never been "noticed" or made out..

as for clearconscience comment on not telling anyone I agree somewhat... you dont want to brag about it, but all my friends and family know I carry all the time.. But also most of them carry as well..

No, I've never really gotten over it and I've been carrying for over 24 years.

Maybe

If someone sees the weapon it's no longer "concealed" and they might call a LEO. If it "alarmed" a citizen enough you could be arrested. Concealed means "concealed", totally, all the time.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I am sure you are aware, there are numerous people in Washington that Open carry, and have no issues with it. If a LEO arrests you for "causing alarm" when no one is running around in a panic or alarm.. You just might have yourself a civil rights lawsuit.

Thats just FYI.

Given that I'm only starting my third week of carrying everywhere that I can, it's something I'm still dealing with too. But I can't be doing too bad - my wife doesn't know I've been carrying and hasn't noticed either. :D

No one has ever noticed, and I do pull my shirt down sometimes, usually when standing up after sitting to make sure it isn't riding up. I'm kind of a thin guy and I like to carry big-ish guns like a sig p229 or CZ-75 so even with a good holster and belt shirts can ride up if it's not tucked in.

I've also found that if you wear a button shirt unbuttoned over whatever else you are wearing you can completely forget about it riding up as it is too long and loose.

[/QI've also found that if you wear a button shirt unbuttoned over whatever else you are wearing you can completely forget about it riding up as it is too long and looseUOTE]

that is why I like a vest. I prefer to ware one in the BEAVERS color.

I've also found that if you wear a button shirt unbuttoned over whatever else you are wearing you can completely forget about it riding up as it is too long and loose.

As long as you always walk slow...

Personally if I move at anything faster than a meander I find unbuttoned shirts blow open and expose the 3:00-4:00 area of my waistline. I've just come to assume that people either walk with their arms clenched against their sides holding the shirt in place, or everyone else walks super slow and never encounters windy conditions...

As long as you always walk slow...

Personally if I move at anything faster than a meander I find unbuttoned shirts blow open and expose the 3:00-4:00 area of my waistline. I've just come to assume that people either walk with their arms clenched against their sides holding the shirt in place, or everyone else walks super slow and never encounters windy conditions...

I just button one button if it gets windy. Another neat trick is to install something weighty on the inside bottom corner on the carry side of your shirt. Like a little pocket with some dimes in it. Keeps the blowing to a minimum and it makes it easy to throw the shirt out of the way when you draw.

Next month will be 8 years of conceal carrying for me. After this much time, I really don't have any concerns, and am not even bothered with the thought of someone spotting my carry piece. I'm pretty sure people have seen my supposed concealed weapon over the years, but nobody has ever said anything to me about it or called the police. Just like Clearconscience, I started out carrying a 92fs. Did that for 6 1/2 years before I switched to Springfield XD's. Here is something I see posted on another forum about once a month...

Welcome to CC!

You will learn not everyone can see the outline of your gun and not every movement flashes it.

You will learn not everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"

You will learn that the more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.

You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.

You will learn to not tug on the hem of yourshirt every 5 minutes to assure yourself you're still concealed.

You will learn to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.

You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.

You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side.

You will learn to reach overhead with your weak-side hand.

You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.

You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.

In short, you will learn

Last Edited:
Next month will be 8 years of conceal carrying for me. After this much time, I really don't have any concerns, and am not even bothered with the thought of someone spotting my carry piece. I'm pretty sure people have seen my supposed concealed weapon over the years, but nobody has ever said anything to me about it or called the police. Just like Clearconscience, I started out carrying a 92fs. Did that for 6 1/2 years before I switched to Springfield XD's. Here is something I see posted on another forum about once a month...

Welcome to CC!

You will learn not everyone can see the outline of your gun and not every movement flashes it.

You will learn not everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"

You will learn that the more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.

You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.

You will learn to not tug on the hem of yourshirt every 5 minutes to assure yourself you're still concealed.

You will learn to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.

You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.

You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side.

You will learn to reach overhead with your weak-side hand.

You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.

You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.

In short, you will learn

Yeap to all those things. In fact, you'll probably learn 'em all in a couple weeks. :)

VJ if someone can see your gun it's no longer concealed and you are in breach of the law. Period. For the same reason when you open carry somone just has to feel uncomfortable with you carry to feel you are threatening them and it's illegal.

Laws are not on our side.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads