JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice time to be an unmarried guy with no family to feed or the choice wouldn't be Vitality Organic Pasture Raised Eggs = $9/carton. (G.O.)

Bought a carton of $1.99 eggs from Safeway a while back and couldn't really tell the yolk from the white.

RE : Egg Prices

Aloha, Mark

PS.....just 2 days ago, the GF went to Costco and got eggs by the tray......$15 (IIRC, 30 to the tray).

When I go shopping I walk down every aisle just to see if there is anything I need. Sometimes spaghetti or spaghetti sauce is on sale and use the Fred Meyer application to clip digital coupons. I pretty much just buy food which includes cheese and eggs. 18 eggs for like $6.99 but haven't bought any eggs since December. Need to buy if they have any when I go.

Last Edited:
The canned chicken shredded in my wok and the long grain rice was too sticky.

Pro: you got chicken in every bite. Con: My wife did not care for it.

Next time I will rinse the rice a few more times before cooking and mix in some Jasmine rice with the long grain. The canned chicken will have to be used for Chicken Salad instead of stir-fry.

I found a few good uses for Costco canned chicken https://www.thelazydish.com/easy-canned-chicken-dinner-recipes/

Last Edited:
When I go shopping I walk down every aisle just to see if there is anything I need. Sometimes spaghetti or spaghetti sauce is on sale and use the Fred Meyer application to clip digital coupons. I pretty much just buy food which includes cheese and eggs. 18 eggs for like $6.99 but haven't bought any eggs since December. Need to buy if they have any when I go.
Where is this?? My Safeway had their eggs for $3.79/18. Eggland's Best were $4.99 per dozen for the Jumbo size.
Where are these $9.00 eggs? They must be delicious.

Next time I will rinse the rice a few more times before cooking and mix in some Jasmine rice with the long grain. The canned chicken will have to be used for Chicken Salad instead of stir-fry.

I found a few good uses for Costco canned chicken https://www.thelazydish.com/easy-canned-chicken-dinner-recipes/
Costco canned chicken works excellent in chicken tacos, the taco seasoning totally hides the canned meat taste

Drain a can of Costco Canned Chicken, empty into a bowl
Mix in some Curry Powder to taste (it may take more than you think, but add gradually)
Add in some cashews or pistachios
Perhaps add in some some pepper
Add in some mayonnaise

Make a sandwich, or serve on top of some warm Naan or flat bread.

I know the Curry Powder sounds odd but the result is purdy tasty. We had a Curry Chicken Sandwich up in Canada and this is a cheap hack on the recipe.

mix in some Jasmine rice with the long grain
Basmati is good too.

Make some Saffron tea (about 5-10 strands crushed, then set in hot water)

Rinse rice multiple times with hot water - until water drains mostly clear. Use 2X as much water first boil then drain and rinse. Boil again. Rinse/Drain again. Add saffron tea, lemon juice and curry and mix with water and boil again and let sit covered. If you are stir frying the rice, then add oil before adding rice.

I like to mix in about 5% wild black rice - but cook it separately - rinse and mix in before serving. Wild black rice has a very strong taste.

Last Edited:
RE : Post #845
Canned Chicken Meat

I can see it while in a surival mode/senario. But, I'll pass.

That being said......
I've been using Costco roast and left over fried fast food chicken to make some of my chicken dishes recently. Like : rice soup or fried rice.

And, for me......the secret with the rice is to leave it in the refrigerator for a day before adding it to your fried rice stir fry.

Aloha, Mark

Cooked rice overnight in the fridge before frying is spot on. A rice cooker is handy too, on the front end. Never had a sticky batch. And if you let it sit warming for a while after cooking is complete, the browned bits are tasty.

When I mentioned your post to my wife and daughter, they rolled their eyes and said "of course it falls apart! It has already been cooked. If you want to make stir-fry, use raw chicken."

And, for me......the secret with the rice is to leave it in the refrigerator for a day before adding it to your fried rice stir fry.
Cooked rice overnight in the fridge before frying is spot on.
You guys are correct. And not only does rice fry better upon reheating, but half the shiit in white rice that is so bad for you is lost by cooling and then reheating. I hate brown rice with a passion - it tastes like eating cardboard to me. I'm just really fond of white rice, so I always make a batch of it the night before and then use it it my stir-fry the next night.

Eggs cause sudden death and Myocarditis now don't you know? Along with loud music, daylight, and sometimes moonlight.

Eggs.png

When I mentioned your post to my wife and daughter, they rolled their eyes and said "of course it falls apart! It has already been cooked. If you want to make stir-fry, use raw chicken."
I am trying to use up cases of canned chicken bought 3 years ago. I seasoned a can with Taco Bell mild sauce packets, added shredded cheese, placed on tortillas and heated up on my stove top griddle. Yielded 4 kid approved quesadias for less than the cost of one at taco bell.

long grain rice was too sticky.
You either used too much water, cooked it at too high a temp, or didn't drain it at the proper time.
A rice cooker is handy too, on the front end. Never had a sticky batch.
^^^This. Get one. They are not that expensive (you can probably find one at the thrift store for a few bucks) and you can't go wrong. Takes all the guess work out. Perfect rice every time.
the shiit in white rice that is so bad for you is lost by cooling and then reheating.
There is no shiit in white rice that is bad for you. This is a health nazi myth. Billions of people in Asia eat white rice every day with every meal and manage to live long, healthy lives.
I am trying to use up cases of canned chicken bought 3 years ago.
Why? Canned meat does not expire. Don't go by "sell by" dates on the cans. As long as the can isn't dented, rusty, or doesn't develop a bulge, it will remain palatable for years after the sell by date (if stored properly, i.e. in a cool, dry place). If you are concerned about off-flavors developing or loss of food value, pull a can every now and then and sample it. But don't feel like you have to be in a hurry to use it up.

There is no shiit in white rice that is bad for you. This is a health nazi myth.
Perhaps I should have been more clear for my specific case...

It is a scientific fact that white rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice does, which means that its carbs convert more quickly into blood sugar than do those of brown rice. Higher intakes of white rice may result in a higher risk of Type 2 diabetes. A recent sample of my blood indicates an elevated level of glucose, and as a result, I have been diagnosed with pre-Type 2 diabetes. Although I am not a full diabetic yet, my doc said diabetes in my life is inevitable if I do not change the status quo. He advised that I need to reduce my blood sugar levels. He suggested exercise; meditation; a vegan diet; and abstaining from pasta, white rice, and alcohol, especially in combination. Since he and I both know that I won't be becoming a vegan anytime ever, and I'll likely never meditate, that leaves just exercise and diet. So, white rice (and pasta, as much as I love the hell out of it) has bad shiit in it... for me. In conclusion, I'll take the advice of a board-certified, internal medicine, MD to whom I pay over $2,000 in concierge fees alone every year than an anonymous voice on teh innerwebz, thanyouverymuch... :D
Billions of people in Asia eat white rice every day with every meal and manage to live long, healthy lives.
As to your second point, the vast majority of Asians are not overweight like me, so they are not nearly as much at risk of contracting Type 2 diabetes as I am. Again, I'm looking at this issue from my personal perspective, not the perspective of a few billion foreigners about whom I really don't have much of a care, as self-centered as that might sound. The issue is my health, not their eating habits...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads