JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
GWS .... Agreed. But is such practical? Expense. Availability. Security. Physical infrastructure. Thinking a 10 year supply buried deep.
Well, I admit I'm thinking only 1 year of food stored in.your home. My belief is getting to/through a harvest.
If I'm not able to grow food after a year then I'm doomed anyway. Why drag it out?
The real limiting factor will be water. A year of fd food for 2 is a large closet. A year of minimal water for 2 is around 2000 gallons. That's a lot of storage space. Being able to filter from a swimming pool means a lot of filtration material.
Oh and don't forget fuel for heating and cooking too.
For a year.

Some might just say...………..

"You don't have to worry about the food supply. Because, the Govt can/will just give out more Food Stamps."

Cough, cough...… Rrrrright…... It'll just be another case of...…..

i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
All agreed to. It gets spendy. Private secret camouflaged non registered good water capped water wells. Good organic non hybrid crop seed you can also eat safely. A good farm, even if it goes dormant. A safe large secret secure adequate deep bolt hole for all. Something which you can just disappear in for 2 months. Stored fuel. Stored infrastructure. The list is very long and extensive. Been there .... only looked at. Can't do it all. Only a small portion.

Sad but true. The people problem quickly. The environment problem medium term. The new world long term. Yikes!! :(

Ketchup is for fries.

Tobasco on hash browns.

You heathen.
Ketchup is for hash browns. Malt vinegar is for fries. Gravy is for mash, boiled or baked. Louisiana hot sauce is for most anything. Ive taken to carrying a bottle of Lousiana hot sauce (Franks, usually, or Louisiana) when I travel because a lot of places do not have it. And I don't prefer Tabasco brand, they use tabasco peppers instead of cayenne or red chiles. The Tabasco company often provided their sauce with the Army field rations in VN war. I suspect they made a lot of customers doing that.

Last Edited:
The Mcilhenny family invented tabasco when they looked around, saw an island of salt, mixed it with peppers and sold the result. When given lemons, make lemonade. It is all marketing - lots of good marketing. But it isn't very good hot sauce IMO - too salty - unless what you are putting it on needs salt. I put some on some split pea soup yesterday - that always needs salt, and pepper and hot sauce.

Lentils and split peas store very well, are inexpensive, go well with all kinds of meats/etc., and are good protein. Lentils are the best for protein and cook much faster than split peas - bot do well with rice too.

Didn't go over the roof just a little stock pile

Nice!

Stock what you all eat & eat what you all stock. The simplest, healthiest & best cost savings way.

Cost savings can be significant, if rotated. Plus you know it will be eaten & you'll be healthy.

Big possibility with those "bucket" long term food storage deals is they may in fact cause a food avoidance. Sure, most folks will eat anything once hungry enough.

However in times of duress/stress, folks will need to be eating regularly, healthy, and likely HIGHER caloric intake than now during normalcy. Difficult to do if one simply dislikes whatever.

The other caution with bucket type/long term storage deals is the "bulk" intake amount to sustain said higher calories. Some of those meal plans it simply may not be possible to eat enough due to the bulk, to sustain a high calorie diet. Thinking primarily on the potato based plan systems here.

Now if ones plan is simply to have "food" to not starve, but they won't be doing hardly ANYTHING AT ALL, bucket plans (or whatever) should be "fine". Just have enough water ahead of time. Sourcing, hauling, purifying (boiling/filtering whatever), is a LOT of work. Work not accounted for in a DO NOTHING calorie type meal plan.

Similar goes for splitting wood (heat/cooking). Have a bunch allready. Else plan food accordingly, enough to prepare do so manually. Etc etc.

If you want to know how the grand solar minimum is going to affect food prices in the USA, Take a look at grain futures. I don't expect people to starve to death in the US, but do expect that we will be paying a lot more for our groceries in the next few years.

If you want to know how the grand solar minimum is going to affect food prices in the USA, Take a look at grain futures. I don't expect people to starve to death in the US, but do expect that we will be paying a lot more for our groceries in the next few years.

Every day 220K people are added to the world population. That's 80 million more people per year. By 2025 - a little over 5 years, the world population will have grown by one billion or about 13 percent.

It adds up.

Arable land, water, energy and yes, food, will increase in cost because there will be less of it per person.

Simple arithmetic.

It will only get worse.

Walked into Costco last night, looking to buy some snacks for work. Came out with $260 worth of foodstuffs. They had some good sales on food - probably because Thanksgiving is coming up. There were no limits on many of them. Their Marie Callender pot pies were 81 cents per - usually at least twice that regularly - decent quick dinner or lunch, better than Swanson's/etc. My chest freezer is full now.

I think it is short sighted to say that there is lots of food in the fields. Current food production and consumption depends on a huge infrastructure for transport, storage and sales, and that can be disrupted. Some buckets of rice and beans etc. are cheap insurance to get you through the bad spots. The big crops in the valley are grass seed anyway, and now filberts (which are not available for most of the year).

Saying you don't need food stored is like saying you don't need to carry a gun. 99% of the time, that is true. It's that 1% that is a problem.

I don't know that filbert acreage has increased that much - most of the acreage I have seen around my area has been there since before I was born - although much of it now seems to be leased to fewer outfits (we leased ours before we sold our farm and now it is leased by a neighbor). I do see a few new orchards out there. A significant portion of the orchard trees are being replaced with newer blight resistant trees, so the orchards are denser since they can plant closer together.

My father's farm, which used to be planted in grains, is now a landscaping nursery - there is the crop that I have noticed taking over a lot of food producing acreage.

Either way, most crops have a limited time that there is table ready food in the fields, the rest of the time it is growing and not ready for harvest, or it is not planted yet, or already harvested, or otherwise not edible. About the only food that might be there year round is livestock, and that would disappear quickly.

Too many people think that just because there is food in the stores that this food is coming from local crops. Most of the year that is not true; the food comes from other regions or even other countries.

The only way to have food year round in a SHTF situation is to store food now and grow your own.

1) Gravy is for smothering hash browns, accompanied by chicken fried steak, topped with 3 fried eggs sunnyside up. :D
Unfortunately, I can no longer enjoy such culinary delights unless I want another widow maker M.I. :(
2) Cannibalism was mentioned earlier. How would you decide who to eat? Long pork carries all the pathogens that afflict humans. Think of KJD (mad cow). Bums, junkies, etc. would be less likely to be missed, but you would really have to be careful about cooking it. :eek:
3) Most of the people in WA live in the Everett - Olympia Axis, which is home to the delusional hordes who think allowing bums to assault people and take a dump on the street is compassionate. They vote for Kshama Sawant. They think food comes from the store and guns cause crime. Their OODA Loop is incapable of comprehending what is happening. (That won't be exclusive to them.)
In a true existential crisis they will be prey for their precious vagrants, "undocumented immigrants," common criminals, well organized criminals (think MS-13, Bloods, Crips, etc.). What they will do when they run out of everything is a scary thought.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top