JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If only that were true. We get COLA adjustments based on the CPI. The CPI is not a realistic measure of inflation. The CPI excludes food and energy, which constitute a major portion of most people's spending. The Bureau of Labor Statistics further depresses the CPI by making what are called hedonic adjustments. That is, if the price of an item in the CPI "shopping cart" increases, the BLS will substitute a less expensive similar item. The whole idea is to keep down the cost of federal entitlement programs (now over 60% of the federal budget), which are tied by law to the CPI. A realistic measure of inflation would break the bank.
Just the same - I got zero COLA for the 9 years I worked at Daimler (I was employed by a staffing agency) - although I was paid a decent wage to start with so I made do.

Interesting. I worked at a grocery store for 17 years and a gallon of regular milk was $2.29 when I left in 2005. That was in SoCal.
Back in the 70s milk was about a $1.20 per gallon for whole milk.

I have been paying (for years and still am) just shy of $3 per half gallon for lactose free whole milk - which usually lasts me about ten days. I don't drink milk, only use it for cereal and occasional baking - so its price doesn't affect me much. I mostly drink either tap water or juice made from concentrate that costs about $1 per "can" - sometimes a half gallon a day, sometimes 2-3 days, depending on my thirst.

I do consume sour cream and yet more cottage cheese quite often - each of those has been between 8-10 cents per ounce. Cream salted butter has been about $2.50 to $3 for a long time too.

I need milk to make my cafe lattes. I have barista machine at home so I make my own. I have tried both almond and oat milk but it tastes really nasty 🤮. Good thing I like espresso shots so I can do without the milk.

I need milk to make my cafe lattes. I have barista machine at home so I make my own. I have tried both almond and oat milk but it tastes really nasty 🤮. Good thing I like espresso shots so I can do without the milk.
I like Mocha Mix, but it is not good for anything like cooking/etc. and lactose free whole milk is almost as good. I was raised on unpasteurized cows milk, including the cream, so skim/etc. milk is like colored water to me.

Back in the 70s milk was about a $1.20 per gallon for whole milk.

I have been paying (for years and still am) just shy of $3 per half gallon for lactose free whole milk - which usually lasts me about ten days. I don't drink milk, only use it for cereal and occasional baking - so its price doesn't affect me much. I mostly drink either tap water or juice made from concentrate that costs about $1 per "can" - sometimes a half gallon a day, sometimes 2-3 days, depending on my thirst.

I do consume sour cream and yet more cottage cheese quite often - each of those has been between 8-10 cents per ounce. Cream salted butter has been about $2.50 to $3 for a long time too.
Mine cost a $15,000 diamond ring.

If only that were true. We get COLA adjustments based on the CPI. The CPI is not a realistic measure of inflation. The CPI excludes food and energy, which constitute a major portion of most people's spending. The Bureau of Labor Statistics further depresses the CPI by making what are called hedonic adjustments. That is, if the price of an item in the CPI "shopping cart" increases, the BLS will substitute a less expensive similar item. The whole idea is to keep down the cost of federal entitlement programs (now over 60% of the federal budget), which are tied by law to the CPI. A realistic measure of inflation would break the bank.
Exactly. I wish more people knew this.

Ok - that took me a few seconds
Which (partially) explains why you're still a bachelor….. :s0108:

Mine cost a $15,000 diamond ring.
Lemme guess…. you fortify it with vitamin"D"? s0108.gif

Mainstream media is starting to talk about how there are supply shortages coming... which probably means everything is probably going to be fine, since those clowns are consistently wrong about everything

I still have PTSD from being married - that is one reason why I still am not married again and probably never will be - again.
Same here. Happily divorced for 11+ years now! :D

I don't claim to have PTSD from my marriage and subsequent divorce, but Momma didn't raise a fool either, so I'll never get hitched again.
At this point in my life, I stand to lose way more than whatever I might gain from another marriage, should that second marriage also go down the tubes.

My creed going forward is: "Money can't buy love, but it sure can rent some high-class affection..." ;)

Same here. Happily divorced for 11+ years now! :D

I don't claim to have PTSD from my marriage and subsequent divorce, but Momma didn't raise a fool either, so I'll never get hitched again.
At this point in my life, I stand to lose way more than whatever I might gain from another marriage, should that second marriage also go down the tubes.

My creed going forward is: "Money can't buy love, but it sure can rent some high-class affection..." ;)
If I got married again I would have to get an ironclad pre-nup arrangement. Twice I have had someone try to rope me in as a way out of their situation, the first one succeeded and we got divorced, the second one played her cards way too fast and bragged about it, so got dumped. Not falling for that again.

I would not mind having a female companion, especially in my senior years now, I even have a friend in mind, but I have trust issues and I would make it clear that all I have acquired goes to my daughter when I pass on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top