JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Grocery prices are headed higher later this year, according the U.S.'s largest supermarket by sales.

Cincinnati-based Kroger Co., which had $132 billion in sales last year, says inflation is running hotter than management previously anticipated and that expectations are now for prices to rise 2% to 3% over the second half of this year.

Kroger is "passing along higher cost to the customer where it makes sense to do so," said CFO Gary Millerchip on the company's second-quarter earnings call on Friday.

Management at Kroger rival Albertsons Companies Inc. earlier this summer expressed similar concerns that inflation would pick up in the second half of the year and that they too would pass some of those increased costs along to consumers.

Quit your bubblegumin' and moanin'......
Inflation is only transitory.....giggle.

Diesel fuel was $2.09 gal on 01/01/2021.
$73.15 to fill my 35 gal tank.

Diesel fuel in Springfield 2 days ago was 3.99 gallon.
$139.65 to fill my 35 gal tank.

90.9% increase in diesel fuel per gallon cost since 01/01/2021.
$66.50 increase in hard cost for my 35 gallon tank.

Assume 2 fill ups per month...the increase alone is right at $1600 per year....in after tax dollars. Assume a 40% fed/state tax burden and your have to generate an additional $2660 in annual gross revenue just to stay even.

Take a closer look at the price per gallon fuel cost......

$.654 per gallon fed, state and local tax on diesel fuel.
Between the price increase and taxes that's.....$89.39 per fill up.

But wait....there's more......

The V-hats and Girlie Men in Salem want to impose a per mile driven Green Tax for every mile your vehicle moves.

....Put on your big boy pants guys...life without mean tweets is supposed to be expensive.

But it will all be put right when the EVIL RICH pay their fair share.

They want to hire an additional 85,000 IRS agents.

Current IRS employee total is 74,545 (google).

But the 85,000 new guys are only going after the RICH.....honest.....cross my heart hope you die.

[ - Insert photo of the giggling Itchy Kitty here - ]

Last Edited:
I was just wondering if anyone has any concerns about a food shortage? I know with a of the flooding in the Midwest that a lot of farmers gave up on planting this year.

Illinois farmers give up on planting after floods, throw party instead

I am not sure how dependent we are on corn or other crops for from the Midwest but would expect higher prices since millions of acres of corn were not planted. I am thinking about stocking up on some canned goods and other items now.

I am not sure if MSM has posted anything yet either but I expect food prices to rise in the future.
The shelves here in Lincoln City are getting to be quite bare.Friends in different states tell me the same is true where they live
Not enough truck drivers and disruptions in food production are the main cause for concern. Prices on everything from food, fuel, lumber and everything else are going thru the roof!
Democrats are fooling themselves

It is said that the avg American has 3 days of food and little to no stored water. I personally am convinced that the next trick up their sleeve will be a grid shutdown for days or weeks in the next year. Blamed on some foreign gov (ff). Pretty hard to prep for, but any effort is better than none.

It is said that the avg American has 3 days of food and little to no stored water. I personally am convinced that the next trick up their sleeve will be a grid shutdown for days or weeks in the next year. Blamed on some foreign gov (ff). Pretty hard to prep for, but any effort is better than none.
I had 8 power outages since last fall. You get used to it

I got Gas/Propane generators with a weeks supply, plus two portable "Solar Generators" (Fancy name for camping batteries) and two portable solar panels which should keep the lights on. I really should have invested in a whole house backup generator, but I figured that I would be in Idaho by now and did not want to sink all that time in money into the property for the next owner. I just checked the Tesla system with PowerWall batteries and that Elon ****er more than doubled the price since November 2020!

1633155187224.png

Aloha, Mark

Inflation is only transitory until it isn't. My life experience includes being an adult in the 1970's when inflation was a way of life. Even when "they" get it under control, it may level off but what about all that went before? Only in relatively few cases do prices relax to some previous, lower level. The rest gets absorbed and results in a weaker currency.

At this time, Mrs. Merkt and I aren't having many problems with food supplies we use. However, periodically we find bare spots on the shelf. When those items reappear, we habitually stock up. Which results in bare shelves again for successive customers. The cycle then repeats. It's a better thing all around when you can go to the store and buy only what you need for the immediate future.

We are starting to notice price creep. Mrs. Merkt has always been a bargain shopper; if product X becomes more expensive, she might substitute product Y or Z. Meat prices bobble around some, if beef is high one week, we might have pork or chicken the next. Store specials are always a possibility. There have been only two of us for many years. When she cooks, she usually does it in such a way that it results in three meals. One original, two left-overs. Which I don't mind.

We have the time to shop for specific items at more than one store. We shop Fred Meyer weekly, supplemented by random runs to Walmart, Winco, Grocery Outlet, Chefs Store and maybe a couple of lesser places from time to time. Our Fred Meyer weekly bill is going down due to this practice of spreading the shopping around. We do this partly for economy and partly for product/brand specificity.

I'm very happy to have been born in the US. It was an act of pure luck over which I had no control. I will not apologize for it. I realize that there are very many people around the world who have less than I do. I sympathize with those who are less fortunate, but like them in their way, I'm just trying to make my way in that corner of the world where I've been chosen to exist and I conduct myself accordingly.

In almost ten years working as a contractor (being rented out to Daimler) I never once got a COLA raise, much less a raise for going from a developer to the lead developer. The typical way for someone in the tech industry, and some other professions, to get a raise is to quit and get hired for a better paying position.

Now that I am on Social Security, I get a COLA raise in that income based on inflation.

Inflation is only transitory until it isn't. My life experience includes being an adult in the 1970's when inflation was a way of life. Even when "they" get it under control, it may level off but what about all that went before? Only in relatively few cases do prices relax to some previous, lower level. The rest gets absorbed and results in a weaker currency.

At this time, Mrs. Merkt and I aren't having many problems with food supplies we use. However, periodically we find bare spots on the shelf. When those items reappear, we habitually stock up. Which results in bare shelves again for successive customers. The cycle then repeats. It's a better thing all around when you can go to the store and buy only what you need for the immediate future.

We are starting to notice price creep. Mrs. Merkt has always been a bargain shopper; if product X becomes more expensive, she might substitute product Y or Z. Meat prices bobble around some, if beef is high one week, we might have pork or chicken the next. Store specials are always a possibility. There have been only two of us for many years. When she cooks, she usually does it in such a way that it results in three meals. One original, two left-overs. Which I don't mind.

We have the time to shop for specific items at more than one store. We shop Fred Meyer weekly, supplemented by random runs to Walmart, Winco, Grocery Outlet, Chefs Store and maybe a couple of lesser places from time to time. Our Fred Meyer weekly bill is going down due to this practice of spreading the shopping around. We do this partly for economy and partly for product/brand specificity.

I'm very happy to have been born in the US. It was an act of pure luck over which I had no control. I will not apologize for it. I realize that there are very many people around the world who have less than I do. I sympathize with those who are less fortunate, but like them in their way, I'm just trying to make my way in that corner of the world where I've been chosen to exist and I conduct myself accordingly.
I shop only at Winco and Costco. I often buy the same things, so I have a fair idea of what something used to cost when the price goes up 20% (some things have done that).

When something is higher than usual, I often do not buy it as I almost always have some put away either in the pantry or the freezer. When something is "on sale", I buy a bit more than I need and set it aside in the pantry or freezer.

I try to not take the last item on the shelf so that there is something left for the other shoppers.

I often buy treats for myself - like a chocolate cream pie (which I just had a slice of).

I was forced to give a lot of canned goods off to homeless people when I moved to a smaller place a year ago.

Been gradually building back food stores. All I know is a Ribeye steak (2) at about 17 ounces was $8 at Grocery Outlet four months ago. Now $14.

We are already a bankrupt nation as we spent ourselves into a trillion+ debt every year, now on course for $3trillion+. Nothing can be done because this is all part of the plan for a global reset.

Not inflation, but the complete destruction of all fiat currently globally. Probably accompanied by a grid shutdown blamed on the Bitcoin/other blackmail hack FF, therefore those will also be deemed illegal. Then you are allotted a certain square footage to live in, a social credit score, a new gov digital currently, and of course the 2nd is revoked. Glad I am old, but unfortunately not old enough.

Righton, with you there. Doesn't bother me either.

Hmm, I diverge here. I support everyone running out and panic buying now. Buy lots, buy more, buy extra toilet paper and buy all the othlant blueberries, plant fruit trees, raise chickens, NOW. We here in my house have craploads stockpiled and this doesn't bother me at all, and maybe if they get off their asses and get it done the sheeple won't need to pound on my door and ask us to share when it goes bad. I encourage panic buying. Buy it all, buy it now, buy more. Stock it deep, stock it .....hmmm. Just don't come bothering me when it goes bad is my advice to neighbors, cause we've been paying the price now to be stocking and prepping and have done so for a long time and are ready. Other folks need to play catch up and I support their doing so.
My thoughts have not changed since 2019. Go stock up now and you'll sleep better, Last ammo shortage, some people who were too stupid to buy extra in advance were angry at those selling some of their overstock. Don't be that idiot. Buy food now -stock it deep while it's cheap. Mountain house purchased right now will last until 2051. Costco has some right now on sale. Go buy a crapload, cause if you are one of "those" idiots who will complain later, you will not be sharing my food when or if it goes bad no matter how much you bubblegum and whine.

Friends and family, of course, will have a seat at my table,

My thoughts have not changed since 2019. Go stock up now and you'll sleep better, Last ammo shortage, some people who were too stupid to buy extra in advance were angry at those selling some of their overstock. Don't be that idiot. Buy food now -stock it deep while it's cheap. Mountain house purchased right now will last until 2051. Costco has some right now on sale. Go buy a crapload, cause if you are one of "those" idiots who will complain later, you will not be sharing my food when or if it goes bad no matter how much you cry and whine.

Friends and family, of course, will have a seat at my table,

Grocery prices are headed higher later this year, according the U.S.'s largest supermarket by sales.

Cincinnati-based Kroger Co., which had $132 billion in sales last year, says inflation is running hotter than management previously anticipated and that expectations are now for prices to rise 2% to 3% over the second half of this year.

Kroger is "passing along higher cost to the customer where it makes sense to do so," said CFO Gary Millerchip on the company's second-quarter earnings call on Friday.

Management at Kroger rival Albertsons Companies Inc. earlier this summer expressed similar concerns that inflation would pick up in the second half of the year and that they too would pass some of those increased costs along to consumers.

Kroger is going to have a lot more "costs" to pass on to the customer when Benjamin Crump gets through with them

Gov wants you to believe inflation/pricing for everything has doubled since 1987. In 1987, you could still buy a decent car on Autotrader for $500.00. Had a nice 2-bedroom apt in 1987 with secure parking and a spiral staircase for $550/m.
Now, clunkers are $5000 and an comparable apts are $2200.00+. Everything the gov/media says is bs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top