JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend has one to sell...I don't have the gun but have pics if anyone can help identify and have interest. Here are a couple pics for starters.

Resized_20191207_103112_6901.jpg Resized_20191207_103015_5238.jpg

That's a 1918 #1 Mk.III* SMLE, .303 British Enfield. Neat old rifle.

Value depends a lot on condition. A lot of them were sporterized, and a lot of them have rough bores. Is the stock still complete to the muzzle, with the nose cap? The stock looks a little too shiny, like it's been refinished.

Thank You ... The owner said he bought this around 1960 packed in cosmoline. And yes he said they restored it. I'll have to ask him but refinished stock for sure. Here are more pics.

Resized_20191207_103135_4072.jpg Resized_20191207_103341_5542.jpg

What's he asking for it?

I'd ask if it's got buggered screws? When these are taken down it's imperative that the front stocks are removed BEFORE the butt stock. The big screw that holds the butt stock on has a square end the fits between the recoil lugs of the front stock. Removing the butt stock screw will break/crack the the front stock.

I've reposted one of the images over on a well-reputed L-E forum where the main US-based collectors hang out. I don't know enough about them to make an informed opinion, but the stamping on the wrist does not look right to me. I'm also interested to know it has been called a 'trench gun'. what does that mean to you? To me it means something like a Winchester Model of 1897...which it b'ain't.

That's a 1918 #1 Mk.III* SMLE, .303 British Enfield. Neat old rifle.

Value depends a lot on condition. A lot of them were sporterized, and a lot of them have rough bores. Is the stock still complete to the muzzle, with the nose cap? The stock looks a little too shiny, like it's been refinished.

That shiny is, if it's like mine is 100 YO hardened linseed oil. Looks just like mine did when I got it. I took some 4/0 steel wool and denatures alcohol to mine. Very gently. Put it infront of the wood stove to warm it and the LO would seep to the surface. Repeat....about 5 times. There's still enough in that stock that it will come to the surface if warmed.

Thanks for the info and the pics folks. So an idea of what these are worth?

How many do you have? Mike's is in v. good but not overly 'restored' condition, and he tells me that it has a fine bore - that's around $600- 700 depending on where you are located.

Can't say anything about yours (?) yet as the jury is still out on the wrist markings.

How's the bore, BTW?

Maybe because it LOOKS like it's been beat around in a WWI trench? :D

That's part of the lure to me of these guns. Just imagine what parts of the world that gun may have seen?

Resplone from a well-regarded L-E collector on gunboards.com -

It looks legitimate, although a bit rough. I have attached a pic of another LSA (an early mk 1) I pulled from the internet. You can see the difference in the font size, which was common on LSA produced guns.

My only concern (albeit a small concern) is it looks as if a few stamps were re-stamped. I don't think this was done for nefarious reasons. It looks as if some of the original stamps wore off through much handling, and the heavier stamps were added to allow for correct identification. The * was added after the cut-off plate was removed from service.

I'd say it began life as a legitimate Mk III, and was probably rebuilt post WW1, and then went off to foreign service. The wood and finish remind me of Indian-finished guns.

More pics would help out, specifically under the rear handguard and overall views.

Hope this helps.
paperclip.png Attached Images
attachment.php

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR