JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Haven't seen any garden chat. Is everyone only interested firearms, tactics, accessories, builds, and nothing else? Not that there's anything wrong with that though. :)

Pretty proud of my three tomato plants this year. August seventh started getting tomatoes to eat daily. Beans followed a couple of days later. I'n needing to use a step stool to keep the tomatoes pruned up properly, and also to pick beans with.

P1040227.JPG P1040228.JPG P1040229.JPG P1040230.JPG

That's one tomato between the beans and cukes, and the other photo in the driveway is two plants. I staked a second tomato cage on top of one and built a wood frame for the other. They're over 6' now.

Haven't seen any garden chat. Is everyone only interested firearms, tactics, accessories, builds, and nothing else? Not that there's anything wrong with that though. :)

Pretty proud of my three tomato plants this year. August seventh started getting tomatoes to eat daily. Beans followed a couple of days later. I'n needing to use a step stool to keep the tomatoes pruned up properly, and also to pick beans with.

View attachment 307286 View attachment 307287 View attachment 307288 View attachment 307289

That's one tomato between the beans and cukes, and the other photo in the driveway is two plants. I staked a second tomato cage on top of one and built a wood frame for the other. They're over 6' now.

Very nice!;)

We rented a house once that had great southern light on a side that only had siding. We had tomatoes falling off plants 8' tall.

I've owned my current home for about 13 years and have tried tilling earth, containers and bringing in compost soil - I can't seem to grow anything here but weeds and junk grass for some reason.

I've put way more money and time into trying to get a garden going that I just gave up and go to the farmers markets in town for decent produce :D. No green thumb here.

I've been growing full on gardens for close to 30 years. The one below was about 2200sq'. I took, I figure, 300# of red potatoes from 70 plants. About 122 onions, Wallawwalla and sweet spanish onions. I grew that for eight years after I lost the previous that was 14' X 75'. Both of those were in old gals yard that I worked for. They allowed me the water and the space in exchange for tomatoes, cukes, corn etc, etc. i miss it but my body won't do that much anymore.

P1020362.JPG

Before that I seemed to always have a tomato plant or two. My soil at home here is terrible. I have that small raised bed with the two tomatoes, three peppers a few onions, dill squoze in between and pole beans. In the back I dug up the terrible rocks and saved what little soil there was, amend it every year. Just a 3' X 12', where I put beans cukes with the other tomato in between. sun is so strong there, and weak soil maybe, that I have to put the shade over it.

It's quite a feeling, walking out between the rows. Little green sprigs three month ago are now over your head. Like a jungle of FOOD.

Before I took the big space over the family of the old gal would just till the weeds in twice a year. That was fun the first year or two considering all the weed seeds buried in the soil. There were a bunch of wild sun flowers I guess, because neighbors I'd talk to would say they called it the "sunflower garden". So I left sun flowers growing where ever they didn't affect my food too much so it was a pretty good show. Plus I planted sunflowers on the edges.

P1030153.JPG

My garden consists of 10 3'x6' raised beds, 7 whiskey barrels and 3 T shaped trellises made from 4x4's . So far I have put up 32 pints of green beans and supplied several coworkers with beans. The pickling cuccs are in 12 hanging pots and have done great. The tomatoes are doing fine and I have been picking them for about 2 weeks now. I took 2 stuffed grocery bags of lettuce to the food closet at work a few weeks ago.

I'm a certified brown thumb. The only thing I seem to be able to grow well are weeds. That said, we've been wanting to try a different method and start by building just one raised planter bed and see if we can get some stuff to grow. If that goes well, we'll add a second, maybe more. Neither of us are skilled gardeners, so it will be a bonus if we can pull it off.

I'm a certified brown thumb. The only thing I seem to be able to grow well are weeds. That said, we've been wanting to try a different method and start by building just one raised planter bed and see if we can get some stuff to grow. If that goes well, we'll add a second, maybe more. Neither of us are skilled gardeners, so it will be a bonus if we can pull it off.
Imma brown thumb also. I did OK in Sequim cause the creamery sold some excellent barn material.
Here the farmer don't sell dirt cause it is too precious to them. I'll have to go to Montana to buy top soil
I mean it sucked that corporations built in the river valleys in WA but at least you could get top soil
So I will do some raised boxes next year. Well one and if it does good we'll see after that.
Maybe buy a load of dirt a year

The 'Maters are just coming on good (ripe). I tried a sauce variety this year in addition to the eaters, so we'll see how they do. The cherry 'maters have been good so far.
The raspberries are in the freezer along with the blueberries, and I already ate the artichokes. :D
Still waiting on most of the peppers, but the herbs like parsley, thyme, chives, basil and oregano are going strong.

Wow....Good to see there are others here who like to grow food!

My garden is doing great!!

Once you get a taste, and get use to home grown potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and green beans it's really hard to deal with store bought.

You guys need to find the local....It's called "The Barn" up where I am, and get fresh crop potatoes. In late November I buy a 50# box of reds for like $.29 a pound.

Wow....Good to see there are others here who like to grow food!

Once you get a taste, and get use to home grown potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers and green beans it's really hard to deal with store bought.
I managed to kill off half my lawn last year. I cant grow diddly. Ma's got tomato plants up at her place, good stuff:D

I buried a little too much time released fertilizer beneath my tomato plant roots at planting time and they've filled out so densely that I can't see the ripe fruit.
The best cherry tomato plant so far is one called "Sweet Million" and boy is it living up to it's name.

I buried a little too much time released fertilizer beneath my tomato plant roots at planting time and they've filled out so densely that I can't see the ripe fruit.
The best cherry tomato plant so far is one called "Sweet Million" and boy is it living up to it's name.

I do a lot of pruning on mine. I trim out leaves from the inside so light can get in. I leave leaves on the outside of a plant to get the sun and protect the fruit from sun burning. Up to about 3' I limit the secondary shoots that come out from leaf joints, and above cut all the secondaries.

I also fertilize with about a half strength Miracle Grow solution every other week after first fruit has set. I feel that's important to keep the plant producing. Come wet weather I usually end up with about 20# of green tomatoes. Most of those get tossed. I only have a couple of people I know that do something with them.

I do a lot of pruning on mine. I trim out leaves from the inside so light can get in. I leave leaves on the outside of a plant to get the sun and protect the fruit from sun burning. Up to about 3' I limit the secondary shoots that come out from leaf joints, and above cut all the secondaries.

I also fertilize with about a half strength Miracle Grow solution every other week after first fruit has set. I feel that's important to keep the plant producing. Come wet weather I usually end up with about 20# of green tomatoes. Most of those get tossed. I only have a couple of people I know that do something with them.
My gal is from the south and has a perfect solution to green tomatoes and they are delicious.
Fried Green Tomatoes

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top