Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any body fish for bass and warm water fish?

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by Mikej, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Speak up!

No, I'm not looking for secret waters or techniques. Well, unless you WANT to share.....

2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Well not me but a co-worker was flipping a Rapala from the bank at Wickiup Reservior yesterday and caught an about 8 LB LARGEMOUTH! It must have been the only one because all the years I have fished there I have never caught a Bass but he claims there are more in there.

edslhead and Quacky88 like this.
  3. Mikej

There are some fine bass in some of the Central Oregon lakes, much to the dismay of the hard core trout fishermen for sure.
    The hard core bassers don't think you should eat them, but I think I'd partake of bass or three from those lakes, even though I do usually align with the bassers most of the time.

I asked because I was going to put up a couple or so photos of mine and Wifey's vacation pics and wanted to see if there was interest. We fish for the bass for fun, and fish for perch for the table. We had some fine fishing this year!

Mike

4. bassman2

bassman2 SW WA Active Member

There's some HUGE Bass in Wickiup! And some big trout that hit bass lures too!

A few years back at Wickiup I BROKE off 5 Bass on big stumps before landing the first one. All on Senkos....flipping to giant stumps.

I used to fish most of the west coast FLW and BASS events. I stopped chasing that prize after fishing became work and expensive... and not as much fun.

5. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

:s0122:
    By all-means, share your pics.....

6. Mikej

Well, most of the time Wifey catches the biggest and I'll catch more. The old "Quantity/Quality" thing I suppose.

I love the way this pic came out, even though it's no monster.
    024.JPG
    This one was the beast of the trip at 5.3 lbs on the scale.

033.JPG She was WAY proud of that one.

Now for me. I love large mouth!

. 051.JPG

But I was the perch king! We have done a bunch of fishing for salmon and steelhead in the Columbia and Willamette rivers over the years, but for us there's just something about perch fishing, don't know what it is but we really love it.

071.JPG

102.JPG

Some decent catfish too, brown bullheads to be precise. Three fish made a grand meal of catfish, and even though they were dark, ugly, had reddish colored meat and left brown slime on your hands....The meat is some of the cleanest tasting fish you'd ever eat. The nice thing about catfish is that you cook it more like chicken, coated and cooked nice and crisp. It doesn't over cook as easy as other fish will.

079.JPG

Sorry you have to click on the pics but I'm too lazy to transfer them to another size to size them all.

022.JPG

024.JPG

033.JPG

051.JPG

102.JPG

079.JPG

071.JPG

022.JPG

7. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Mike, correct me if I'm mistaken, but that looks like Takenitch. Wish I lived closer to that lake - it's just too far for a one-day trip for us. Spent a week there a few years back, wish we could've stayed a month.

8. peeweeman3

peeweeman3 salem New Member

I grew up in Oregon and went out to the midwest for college. I have worked the last two summer on an island in the middle of lake erie. (I know it sounds crazy but its the truth) It is called south bass island and I work in the village of Put in Bay. look it up I swear its real haha. ANYWAY, I had never go to experience perch fishing until I was out in the midwest and now I cannot get enough of it. I always fished trout growing up and am getting tired of going to Detroit lake for trout fishing. I want to know some new places I can go do some perch fishing and teach my dad and brother. any suggestions?

9. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

All the time, March to October every year when not salmon fishing.

10. hm1ing

hm1ing 97051 Member

The Oregon Bass and Panfish Club is always fishing and doesn't mind assisting other warm water fishers.
    Club meetings and dry clinics.

11. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

I used to do a lot of fishing for bass until I bought my boat (20ft Alumaweld Stryker). Its a pig on a lake, so I have been doing a lot more salmon fishing and trolling in general. I need to get another boat so I can get back into some bass and walleyes. I still do some walleye fishing in my boat.

12. gjk86

gjk86 jefferson or Member

Went fishing for the first time this year on sunday and caught this one on the third cast. 17893_10200394504462630_119588391419976420_n.jpg

edslhead, bbbass, Quacky88 and 3 others like this.
  13. jsparks747

jsparks747 Portland, Or Active Member

Warm water? What's warm water? We don't have it here in the PNW other than the Yellowstone river near Yellowstone.

14. bbbass

bbbass La Grande Well-Known Member

That's a beauty. Congrats!!!

15. bbbass

bbbass La Grande Well-Known Member

Phillips Reservoir in Eastern Oregon

16. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Got this little chunker on a 5 inch senko last summer. Guessing 2.5-3lbs - keeping in mind I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs to give a rough size comparison (more for length/girth of the fish)

r4YeCz2.jpg

Wish I'd gotten pix of my largest smallmouth of the year, nailed this spring on an 8" hard swimbait during the pre-spawn period.

But that fish probably pales to my son's PB smallmouth this year:

wT7bcMq.jpg

Was fun helping him land that fish, all 8 inches or so of it, on ultra light tackle.

We also started fishing with a Tenkara fly rod this year, to ease the boy into fly fishing. Got some nice gills that way

lS1rmsK.jpg

6aHBQkT.jpg

We also practiced some with a normal fly rod:

iAtMPNX.jpg

TT13FMb.jpg

edslhead and Mikej like this.