JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well not me but a co-worker was flipping a Rapala from the bank at Wickiup Reservior yesterday and caught an about 8 LB LARGEMOUTH! It must have been the only one because all the years I have fished there I have never caught a Bass but he claims there are more in there.

There are some fine bass in some of the Central Oregon lakes, much to the dismay of the hard core trout fishermen for sure.
The hard core bassers don't think you should eat them, but I think I'd partake of bass or three from those lakes, even though I do usually align with the bassers most of the time.

I asked because I was going to put up a couple or so photos of mine and Wifey's vacation pics and wanted to see if there was interest. We fish for the bass for fun, and fish for perch for the table. We had some fine fishing this year!

Mike

There's some HUGE Bass in Wickiup! And some big trout that hit bass lures too!

A few years back at Wickiup I BROKE off 5 Bass on big stumps before landing the first one. All on Senkos....flipping to giant stumps.

I used to fish most of the west coast FLW and BASS events. I stopped chasing that prize after fishing became work and expensive... and not as much fun.

:s0122:
There are some fine bass in some of the Central Oregon lakes, much to the dismay of the hard core trout fishermen for sure.
The hard core bassers don't think you should eat them, but I think I'd partake of bass or three from those lakes, even though I do usually align with the bassers most of the time.

I asked because I was going to put up a couple or so photos of mine and Wifey's vacation pics and wanted to see if there was interest. We fish for the bass for fun, and fish for perch for the table. We had some fine fishing this year!

Mike
By all-means, share your pics.....

Well, most of the time Wifey catches the biggest and I'll catch more. The old "Quantity/Quality" thing I suppose.

I love the way this pic came out, even though it's no monster.
024.JPG
This one was the beast of the trip at 5.3 lbs on the scale.

033.JPG She was WAY proud of that one.

Now for me. I love large mouth!

. 051.JPG

But I was the perch king! We have done a bunch of fishing for salmon and steelhead in the Columbia and Willamette rivers over the years, but for us there's just something about perch fishing, don't know what it is but we really love it.

071.JPG

102.JPG

Some decent catfish too, brown bullheads to be precise. Three fish made a grand meal of catfish, and even though they were dark, ugly, had reddish colored meat and left brown slime on your hands....The meat is some of the cleanest tasting fish you'd ever eat. The nice thing about catfish is that you cook it more like chicken, coated and cooked nice and crisp. It doesn't over cook as easy as other fish will.

079.JPG

Sorry you have to click on the pics but I'm too lazy to transfer them to another size to size them all.

022.JPG

024.JPG

033.JPG

051.JPG

102.JPG

079.JPG

071.JPG

022.JPG

Mike, correct me if I'm mistaken, but that looks like Takenitch. Wish I lived closer to that lake - it's just too far for a one-day trip for us. Spent a week there a few years back, wish we could've stayed a month.

I grew up in Oregon and went out to the midwest for college. I have worked the last two summer on an island in the middle of lake erie. (I know it sounds crazy but its the truth) It is called south bass island and I work in the village of Put in Bay. look it up I swear its real haha. ANYWAY, I had never go to experience perch fishing until I was out in the midwest and now I cannot get enough of it. I always fished trout growing up and am getting tired of going to Detroit lake for trout fishing. I want to know some new places I can go do some perch fishing and teach my dad and brother. any suggestions?

I used to do a lot of fishing for bass until I bought my boat (20ft Alumaweld Stryker). Its a pig on a lake, so I have been doing a lot more salmon fishing and trolling in general. I need to get another boat so I can get back into some bass and walleyes. I still do some walleye fishing in my boat.

Got this little chunker on a 5 inch senko last summer. Guessing 2.5-3lbs - keeping in mind I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs to give a rough size comparison (more for length/girth of the fish)

r4YeCz2.jpg

Wish I'd gotten pix of my largest smallmouth of the year, nailed this spring on an 8" hard swimbait during the pre-spawn period.

But that fish probably pales to my son's PB smallmouth this year:

wT7bcMq.jpg

Was fun helping him land that fish, all 8 inches or so of it, on ultra light tackle.

We also started fishing with a Tenkara fly rod this year, to ease the boy into fly fishing. Got some nice gills that way

lS1rmsK.jpg

6aHBQkT.jpg

We also practiced some with a normal fly rod:

iAtMPNX.jpg

TT13FMb.jpg

The Columbia is an excellent bash fishery. Ive probably eaten my weight in brown bass in the 5 years I lived in The Dalles between fishing there and Hood River. 5 pounders out the ying yang. It was nice to look out my living room window and see the river conditions and then drive a mile to the boat dock. Great bass fishing in the side waters near Longview and Cathlamet as well.

People always gave me crap for eating as much salmon and bass as I did from the "polluted" Columbia. I always told them they need to travel the country a bit and get some perspective.

Certainly used to! We used to camp at Ft Stevens and I'd catch bass in the "low crawl, brush bustin" lakes there. Then, pick up the wife and drive up behind the South Jetty and fish the tides for surf perch. You might pick up a nice, bright silver salmon on the side too!
I used to go over to the Snake River once a year for the channel cats. Love those catfish, any kind, just dipped in powered corn flakes and fried in bacon fat!:D:D:D

Good thread, Mike! Made me miss fishing and drool at the same time!:p

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews