JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am very interested in hunting wild boar in OR. I have a lightweight AR15 that is very accurate but its in 5.56 or a mossberg 930 SPX to pick from. I assume the 12 gauge would be the go to choice between the two and I'm pretty accurate and fast with either so it's pretty much a ballistics argument. I'm pretty sure I'll be hunting pretty forested areas (southwest OR). Thoughts or opinions on the AR vs shotgun? What ammunition? I'm thinking Brenneke slugs in the SPX... Maybe some heavier soft points in the AR? I'm at a loss... If I had the coin right now I'd build a new upper in a pig smacking caliber like 458 Socom or 50 Beowulf but I'm just a po white kid trying to scratch together a living...

Your AR 15 should be enough to take down a boar or wild pig. Even a small caliber shot through the lungs ought to be fatal. No question that a .12 gauge slug would work. I took a boar (albeit a small one) with my bow at 28 yards in Northern California, and I missed both lungs. Shot was just behind them, but the animal was dying when I tracked it 60 or 70 yards from my shot. My son took a bigger one the same way at 32 yards. He made a heart shot and it died less than 10 yards away, after only a minute or so.

I have heard of feral pigs being seen crossing Hwy 101 on the Coast, and have heard there might be pigs in Douglas County, but I do not know anyone has seen any let alone taken one in Oregon. Good luck with your hunt.

I have an uncle down in S. Oergon keeping an eye out for pigs...
Been plenty of reports on the coast but only that... Reports. Have not seen or heard about any that have been taken.
Heard some were around the Bend area.. But no real reliable reports...

Building a socom up.. want to make bacon with it!!

I shot two hogs last April with my .300blk. They dropped like a rock. The first one tried running my son and hunting partner over after receiving a .50cal round ball from his smoke pole. At thirty yards and charging I put one between the eyes and she didn't twitch. The second was a did shot at about 140 yds. Same result. DRT!

Just wait for a clean shot and it will not matter which of your guns you are using. Either one is more than enough power. The upside to your AR is a quick double tap if you have concerns though. Besides that you will be wishing you had that when you are walking through the woods with a shotty and spot one in an open area 75 yards away. Going to be wishing you had your AR for that distance.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top