JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, anyone?

I, for one, love it. It's a little slower, but its worth it.

I've come across some good deals used, the revolvers are new from Cabelas. Used can be tricky since they rust badly if not properly cleaned.

Ive got 2 1858 Remingtons, a Traditions .54 pistol, Lyman plains pistol .54 cal which I built from a kit, Zouave .58 and a .54 TC Hawken.

I'm looking to get ahold of a flintlock now... Back to work first though.

Also cast my own... .44 round balls to .58 minies.

Anyone else?
WP_20150613_23_50_58_Pro.jpg WP_20150523_00_44_33_Pro.jpg WP_20150523_00_41_32_Pro.jpg WP_20150613_23_49_36_Pro.jpg WP_20150613_23_52_44_Pro.jpg

I was into black powder revolvers back in the day. Replica Remingtons and Colts. I enjoyed it for a few years, then sold or traded them off. I like your short barreled Remington!

I am looking to get a couple of black powder guns. I have shot a rifle and pistol a couple of times and loved it. I probably will not be able to afford original, but repos are ok with me. I want to go with a rifle and Civil War era type pistol. I am planning on going to the Civil war reenactment at Willamette Mission Park in late June.

I need sources to learn a bit more about it, find the guns and accessories. This is kind of a bucket list thing we me.

I've had my Ruger Old Army since March 2nd, 1986, and shoot it most weekends. I also have a Canadian militia-issue three-band Snider-Enfield in .577 Snider, and a Parker-Hale Musketoon in .58cal.

Great fun, all of them - as you can see by watching tac's guns Youtube and selecting the appropriate tag.

I also shoot my Winchester High wall in 45-70 with a suitable BP load.

tac, back in yUK.

anyone know of a range in the Portland/Vancouver area that allows BP shooting?

None of the indoor ranges allow it and it kills me that I can join them for $100/yr and the only range I can go with my BP stuff is English Pit... If I can stomach going there its $20.

Anything I am missing?

One Pietta Remington 1858 with the Cabela's special roll engraving, and one Uberti Colt Walker. I use 777 exclusively, for the easy cleanup and the perceived ballistics improvements. 50 grains in the Walker pushing a 147 grain ball and a Wonder Wad results in a CRACK!, not a BOOOOM! I need to get a chronograph.

PS - My wife gave both of them to me as Christmas presents. I just went out to my outdoor shooting spots, cold and wind be d***ed. Didn't go out in the wet.

What's better is that Muzzleloading has replaced rimfire for me.

With .22 going for nearly .10/rnd... I can shoot my .36cal for .07/rnd and that's assuming buying powder and caps at regular current prices... And casting my own shot of course.

Considering I got most of my caps and powder for less than current prices I'm shooting .36 & .44 pistols for 1/2 the cost per round of .22lr

The big stuff isn't much more expensive, maybe equal to cost of .22, at the most.

And its much more gratifying to send 500gr downrange with all the smoke, noise and recoil along with it than the pop of a .22

I save my 22 for the kids now

Considering that you can get a decent revolver for $200 or so used and around $300 new... Without all the paperwork BS & fees... I'm surprised more shooters aren't into it.

Bought a new in box stainless old army with fixed sights and fake ivory the other day on gunbroker. $699 which I didn't feel was that bad for a full polish NIB gun.

oRIqU5.jpg

Last Edited:
Seeing as how it's new, you likely won't need to be getting any replacement nipples just yet - mine lasted twenty seven years before one wore out.

BUT - The Gun Shop in Springfield has Oregon-made replacements for less than twenty bucks. Tell Joe or Suzi I sent you and get them in early.

There are positively NO other spares from Ruger that are not shared with the Blackhawk, and those are only in blued, not stainless.

This was the very best BP revolver ever made - it's a crying shame that the new Mr Ruger shut down on it. There are more Old Army's here in yUK than any other brand of BP revolver, by at least four to one.

tac

Seeing as how it's new, you likely won't need to be getting any replacement nipples just yet - mine lasted twenty seven years before one wore out.

BUT - The Gun Shop in Springfield has Oregon-made replacements for less than twenty bucks. Tell Joe or Suzi I sent you and get them in early.

There are positively NO other spares from Ruger that are not shared with the Blackhawk, and those are only in blued, not stainless.

This was the very best BP revolver ever made - it's a crying shame that the new Mr Ruger shut down on it. There are more Old Army's here in yUK than any other brand of BP revolver, by at least four to one.

tac

I did order up a Classicballistx cylinder and some slixshot nipples. I like to load them hot. 42 grains FFFG triple 7 and a 250 grain conical. Should put a smile on my face.

What are the Bp ownership rules over there?

Where can you shoot?

Here on mainland UK we can have any kind of loose-loading BP handgun we want. Rifles and muskets the same, even cannon. You must be a member of a gun club, though, in order to get the gun licensed. I have to have a BP license to acquire, purchase and transport BP, too. It's free, and lasts five years.

I can shoot on any authorised target-shooting range in the UK. Have look on my Youtube channel to see our range - tac's guns will get you there.

Lots is lost, here, but not all of it. Last financial year shooting sports and their attendant spending put over $3.5 Billion into the exchequer, and supports over 75,000 traders, including over a hundred custom rifle makers of all kinds.

Have look at Dolphin Guns, just a short drive from where we live......Nesika or Barnard actions, all the famous barrel makers, they are makers of custom guns that many in my club shoot competitively. My interests lie in old guns, made of steel and wood. My avatar shows me wearing my Portland bolt hat [thanks, Mike at PB], hunched over my .308Win Krico 650SS/Nightforce NSX scope in a club grudge match.

I won.

tac

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top