JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bunny, it's as about as good as it gets. It will make a better hunter out of anyone, and humble most along the way. The rewards are many and I can't say that I have ever regretted turning to the bow. Keep your shots within your capability's, we owe it to the animal we pursue to make as quick and humane a kill as possible. Wednesday morning I was into a nice bull with a dozen cows at around 40 yards, I couldn't close the deal. There were cows behind cows, cows in front of cows, cows in front of the bull and coastal fauna all around. They didn't have a clue I was in the area and grazed into their bedding area, I let them be as the wind started coming out of the east at that time. Did I get the shakes? Yep! Adrenaline levels were peaked, and I was loving every second of it. I had spotted them from across a draw and worked the wind into them. The bull started a bugle challenge that was music to this old mans ears and I'll see them again tomorrow if the good lords willing and the creek don't rise. If I ever stop getting all jittery and corkscrewed up, well that will be the day I stop going. That's what archery hunting does for me, and I hope the same bug bites you too! Good luck and enjoy.

John.

That sounds amazing! And you're right, there really is something special about using a bow. I hate to admit it, but I think I might even enjoy it more than shooting guns now. I just got some custom cut arrows so my groups aren't as tight as before yet, but I'm hoping to get sighted in and get enough experience to try turkey in the spring, and maybe deer next year. But yeah, I really can't tell you how much I'm enjoying archery. Thank you, and good luck on the hunt. :)

Yup - bowhunting (or just shooting) can be addictive. I was heavy into it for many years and only got away from it due to some life changes - and then when I started getting interested again my Hoyt Pro-Hunter and aluminum arrows were no longer in vogue! I Started looking at new equipment and shot some but it appears I would almost be starting all over again.

Bunny, welcome to bowhunting. The first deer I killed (whitetail) I took with a bow from a tree stand and I was hooked! Once I moved to Oregon, I've sort of alternated between bow and rifle, but I have to say I enjoyed bowhunting way more. I agree with salmonriverjohn in that it will make a better hunter out of anyone...I will also like to know where he hunts because I'm still hoping to arrow an elk one of these days!!!! :D

I'm a self taught deer/elk hunter as my dad didn't care so much about it.
I never got anything modern firearm.
I moved up here and there was deer everywhere. Dozens. So since I didn't want to get in the modern firearm mix and get shot,I decided archery was for me.
And since there was so many elk,I thought it would be easy peasy there too. Waddayamean this is a protected heard?
First year was a blast.Deer everywhere to pursue. I hunted proper and when changing locations,after this fat old guy worked up a good sweat,a doe walked across the road in front of me and just stood there.
I didn't want to be a "road hunter" but her timing was terrible ,cause I was beat.She stood there and took the arrow to the heart.
And tasted great!

This year was almost the same. Did my walk about and the doe standing there about 100 yards from my truck.Couldn't pass her up. I heard horns don't taste that good anyway.(or the deer that wear them)

So elk hunting is a lot to take on. First year was a bust,just cows way out west. A guy told me to always carry a cow call in case you trip or make noise. Blow the call and they think it's a cow,not a clutsy human.

So this year I was walking along,down a close logging road about 100 yards from the hiway. Walkin' and blowing the call every couple minutes.
I hear a truck screaming by on the hiway,but something else is making noise.
All of the sudden I hear something sniffing like crazy.Sounded like a horse snorting.Had a couple loud ones and it faded fast.
Never saw what it was.I guessed it was a monster bull since I never saw it.
Some told me I was lucky not to see it cause it was a bear.

But the best part was it wasn't rifle season and the guns didn't start blazing at the sound!

Nice and peaceful during bow season

Bunny, welcome to bowhunting. The first deer I killed (whitetail) I took with a bow from a tree stand and I was hooked! Once I moved to Oregon, I've sort of alternated between bow and rifle, but I have to say I enjoyed bowhunting way more. I agree with salmonriverjohn in that it will make a better hunter out of anyone...I will also like to know where he hunts because I'm still hoping to arrow an elk one of these days!!!! :D

Thanks, I'm hoping to take a shot at it next year, after I get more practice. :) GL getting your elk!

They say 5-10 arrows a day minimum. But stop when you get tired and start bad habits
And when you shooting more,only shoot 3,then go pull them out. This lets the shoulders rest for a minute in between
I guess if you are younger and in good shape,it won't matter as much

I shoot 4 or 5 days a week I have 21 yards .. across my back yard. makes for a perfect practice range... when I shoot I will run around 40 arrows befor my shots get sloppy.. a few years back this would have been 10 arrows.. I have gone from a 55 pound bow and worked up to a 70 pound bow... my effective range(what I am comfortable with) has gone from 30 yards to 60 yards... so if you want to hunt with a bow.... it is the same as anything... practice practice practice!!!!

I'm a longbowman but haven't hunted with a bow since I was a lad. Hope to in the future

I've done reenactment as a Medieval English Longbowman with a very authentic outfit including helmet and chainmail, as well as a LOTRs Ranger

I just moved up to 40 lbs a couple weeks ago and am still trying to get my sights just right. I was dead on every time with long arrows but ever since I got cut ones I've been kinda inconsistent. I also shoot 3d targets much better than paper for some reason. And I think I developed a little bit of a pull after hitting myself a couple times too. So I have a few issues to work out. It's a little frustrating at times trying to figure out what I need to adjust and change to get the old accuracy back, but I think if I take my time I'll get there.

Google is your friend here. There are many sights that will help you tune your bow.
An accurate bowman is a happy bowman.
A happy bowman spends more money for his fun,new pastime.
They'll give you all the info you want.

Bunny,,, It sounds like you might benefit from going into the closest thing you could refer to as a pro shop and ask them if they know of someone in your area that has some great expierience that you could hook up with and help you out. Ask them too if there is somewhere where you can paper tune your bow for best arrow flite coming off of your bow. If the longer arrows you were shooting well earlier are now your shorter cut to length arrows your spine weight on them may now be to stiff and part of the problem. Did you change the weights of your target tips and are they maybe to light or heavy so as to have correct weight forward balance on your arrows ? There are a host of things that could be wrong. You say you hit yourself a few times and I am thinking you are referring to your bow arm ? If this is so your stance is not open enough and you are turned slightly too far away from the target which also promotes a longer draw and can take you out of the "valley" on your cams and now be shooting from off the wall. You also spoke of are now up to 40 lbs. and if did a recent adjustment the upper and lower limbs may be off slightly causing a minor timing issue on the cams. There is much to know and it really isnt that tough to work with. Not knowing can make it frustrating. I owe some of the best parts of my life to archery and hope you will be afforded the same priviledge. Feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions for you.

10 Spot

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads