JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow. I just got off the phone with my grown son. He did the National Guard service and loved it, but he was out just before Iraq so he never saw battle.

However, I taught him to shoot at age 7 and he qualified expert with both rifle and pistol in the NG. He has a lot of opinions about the AR-15 because it's "sort of" a semi auto M-16. We just spent a lot of time talking guns.

He said that out to 500 yards (some of the targets he had to hit to qualify) he prefers the iron sights! He "guaranteed me" that he could hit a man in the head at 500 yards with iron sights with an M-16 in semi mode. He's not a braggart or loud mouth and I believe him. His rifle was sighted dead center at 250 yards and dropped 2 meters at 500 yards, according to him.

(As an aside, he said that of his group of 100 which did range time together in Basic, 3 of them qualified expert with a rifle and got the medal. He, from Medford, and two other guys both from Roseburg! This is with guys from all over the country. That's pretty cool. :s0155:)

He said the range had pop-up targets, some that moved sideways. Some were friendlies - no shoot, and all at varying distances from 25 to 500 yards. He and the 2 guys from Roseburg hit 40 out of 40 with iron sights.

He said he would want a red dot scope for poor lighting conditions and otherwise he's faster with iron sights swinging rapidly from target to target. He said he'd for sure want a flip over mount.

So there, for what it's worth. ??

impressive indeed! I always wondered how different targets appeared to different people. I served with a guy who could put 10 shots with an L1A1 (.308 FAL) into a 3" group at 200 metres with iron sights.

For anyone who has never shot at targets beyond 100 yards with iron sights let me add this information.
At 300 metres, the front sight will completely cover a figure 11 (man size) target.
To hit headshots at 500 metres is way beyond standard infantry marksmanship. That is something instinctive that cannot be taught and you cannot train to do.
If guys like that showed up in my platoon, I would send them to sniper school, or make them my runner! :)

impressive indeed! I always wondered how different targets appeared to different people. I served with a guy who could put 10 shots with an L1A1 (.308 FAL) into a 3" group at 200 metres with iron sights.

For anyone who has never shot at targets beyond 100 yards with iron sights let me add this information.
At 300 metres, the front sight will completely cover a figure 11 (man size) target.
To hit headshots at 500 metres is way beyond standard infantry marksmanship. That is something instinctive that cannot be taught and you cannot train to do.
If guys like that showed up in my platoon, I would send them to sniper school, or make them my runner! :)

It's been a while since he and I went shooting together, but we were shooting his Ruger .22 auto "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty" which I gave him for Christmas when he was about 12. I had bought it LNIB used to keep, but many years later decided to give it to him.

TRUE STORY. He can hit the bulls eye on a standard pistol target with that at 25 yards EVERY time.

He practices dry firing (rifle or pistol) with a dime laid down flat and balanced out on the end of the barrel. When he pulls the trigger, he expects the "firing" to surprise him and for the dime to not fall off the barrel. He expects himself to be able to do that ten times in a row.

Kinda interesting test? ??

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads