JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was able to obtain a few pistols before I turned 21.
My father said "Oh cool"
My Mother said "Is it loaded?"
And that was the extent of it.

Honestly, Im not a huge advocate of selling a firearm under those kinds of circumstances. Id say get a small safe and keep it in there. Lie and say you sold it, but do so in a passing manor so as to not raise suspicions.

For the most part, firearms are always easy to sell and twice as hard to get back. Perhaps not the exact serialized firearm.. But the same make/model. By this I mean, life is always moving. One event after another and generally your gun funds are always going to be low or depleted due to other "life obligations" and thus that same firearm will somehow always be out of your possession for one reason or another because your money is needed elsewhere.

The reason Id sell any of my firearms now is only to fund other firearms projects or if Im consolidating calibers and magazine type.

Sorry to hear that she wont see your side of it.
Id say take her out shooting either at a range or public land, and really nit pick her muzzle awareness as well as firearm safety and safety checks. After, have her help you clean the shooting area afterwards (if on public land), then on your way home explain why you NEED to clean your public land shooting areas and that you're doing your part, next have her sit down and clean your firearms with you, make sure she knows firearms are a huge investment as well as a huge responsibility not only firearms safety but maintenance as well.
I would then go over some of the laws and misconceptions most anti gun folks have about firearms. True facts and logic totally debunk any of the emotional opinions and "statistics" antis have and it helps inform her.

This will help give her the idea that you are a very responsible firearm owner as we ALL usually are and hopefully an appreciation for your hobby.
If that doesn't work see if a friend can hold onto your pistol for you for the time being. If no friends are willing or trustworthy enough Im sure you can strike a deal with someone on here (NWFA) to either buy or hold onto it and either resell it back to you or give it back to you at a later date when the time is right.

Best of luck.
P.S. good choice on the pistol you purchased.

You are a child, and really need to grow up. Name calling ha amusing, you and clambo are the reason society is so poisoned! You just don't get the principles of the matter, you think you are entitled to do whatever you want when you want. You don't know your roll it shows with everything that you have said. The years ahead of you are going to be a real eye opener! Good luck with life, you watch that name calling bs too, go read the rules!

-LazerBlazeR

I think you are the one with the problem man. This "kid" seems to have his stuff together by any standard, and is showing the proper respect to his parents. The only thing I see that he feels entitled to is speaking back at someone with reading comprehension problems.

I'm pretty sure that plenty of "grown ups" around here call all sorts of names. He could have left the last sentence off on that post, but temperance is one thing that usually takes time to learn. Some never get there.

I think you are the one with the problem man. This "kid" seems to have his stuff together by any standard, and is showing the proper respect to his parents. The only thing I see that he feels entitled to is speaking back at someone with reading comprehension problems.

I'm pretty sure that plenty of "grown ups" around here call all sorts of names. He could have left the last sentence off on that post, but temperance is one thing that usually takes time to learn. Some never get there.

There must be something in that Gig Harbor water....

-LazerBlazeR

I feel stupid for asking, but there's a limited amount of people to ask. So for background, I am 19 years old. I hold a full time job in retail whilst going to college. I live at home with my mom, dad, and grandmother. I've been shooting guns for quite some time. Bought my first rifle, a Weatherby Vanguard .270, about two years ago. Over time I have acquired some more guns. One, being a handgun. Now, I do all the safety precautions to the T. I keep all of my guns in a bolted down safe that only I and my dad know the combination to. I store my ammo on the top shelf. I have trigger locks on the guns as well except for my security shotgun. The magazines are always unloaded. She recently found out about the handgun. She was not a happy camper. We had spoken about it months ago that she'd be fine if I had a safe and followed safety precautions. She has totally forgotten that conversation and is now very upset with the fact. When asked, she said, "Im not worried about you having it. I'm worried about others." Which I have no idea what that means. So if you have been in a similar situation in the slightest or have dealt with something like this, please post. My dad is alright with having it but she's just not having any of it at all.

Disclaimer: It is not my intention to make anyone's mother sound mean, I love my mother. You only get one, mine happens to be totally badass.

Good sir, I had a similar problem, albeit not as "hostile" (for lack of a better term). My mother questioned why I bought a Saiga 12 when I was 19 and why I bought some NFA items around 22. She never ridiculed or chastised me over owning firearms and she only asked once why I carry concealed. It helped that our relationship at the time went from one of a parent TELLING me what to do to my mother and I becoming friends who can gab endlessly on the phone. She will never understand why I like them. She, however, came to terms with the fact that I like firearms, they are a part of my life, and our personal relationship is worth more than her slight aversion to guns.

Deal_With_It.jpg

You are a child, and really need to grow up. Name calling ha amusing, you and clambo are the reason society is so poisoned! You just don't get the principles of the matter, you think you are entitled to do whatever you want when you want. You don't know your roll it shows with everything that you have said. The years ahead of you are going to be a real eye opener! Good luck with life, you watch that name calling bs too, go read the rules!

-LazerBlazeR
How is being referred to as as " Asshat " by the OP any more offensive than " Poisoner of society " which is what you called me?

The whole point is op came here asked for advice, I gave my advice. If he and you didn't like it then oh well ignore it, but you both are trying to justify poor decision making skills. Instead try and actually read everything that I said from the get go it was simply about integrity and doing the right thing!

-LazerBlazeR

Yeah, I'm just viewing this since when I posted it and I don't know where the hell these people are getting the idea that I was given an ultimatum or anything like that. And just for a general update and to all you nay-sayers, my parents and I spoke about it for quite some time and my mom has come to allow me to have handguns in the house after some reassurance.

I figured I'd quote this, I don't think many saw it.

The whole point is op came here asked for advice, I gave my advice. If he and you didn't like it then oh well ignore it, but you both are trying to justify poor decision making skills. Instead try and actually read everything that I said from the get go it was simply about integrity and doing the right thing!

-LazerBlazeR
That did not answer my question but Im gonna let it go. Your dander is too easily raised. Besides, you make no sense. Yawn.

Any parent who would not provide themselves with the necessary tools to protect their children and themselves from harm and to go and try to deny their children from protecting themselves is not a parent at all. They are just people dealing with the unintended consequences from a sexual encounter. The world is filled with the later. Even though my kids are adults and I have two grandchildren from one I am still in protection mode for them all and will be until the day I die.

This sounds exactly like a gun control microcosm.
Person 1: "I like guns!"
Person 2: "Only if you're safe."
Person 1: "Okay, done!"
Person 2: "And lock your weapon up, and don't leave bullets in it, and put it in a safe with ducttape, and..."
Person 1: "That's harsh, but ok. I did it!"
Person 2: "I think you're irresponsible. No guns for you!"
Person 1: WTF

My mom was the same way. Out of sight, out of mind. Someday you'll be out of the house and it won't matter. At least you learned to respect guns and to store them safely. That's more than I can say about some of my friends. So good job on being responsible at least!

I carefully read your posts. The rest of the story is missing.
Disrespect and arrogance ooze from them.
Sponging off your parents, exploiting their long hard labor to springboard your own comfort.
What's not to understand, Their home, their rules, no guns.
Instead, you drill holes in their walls to mount your own gun safe.
Owned guns for two years? Calling your superiors "asshats"?
You don't know what it means to support yourself.
"I pay my own bills and support myself. Insurance, gas, toll, cell phone, clothes, and anything involving my truck is all me."
Those bills are entertainment wasteage, discretionary negative cash flow.
Not pitching in for the property tax, utilities, food, personal space invasion, your mother's peace-of-mind?
Spongebob, you are in for a jolt when you pay the real costs...

Started this thread to get moral support?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top