JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody like this caliber?
I have a 226 Sig in .40 and am looking at a .357 sig barrel.
Anybody have experience with his caliber? Anybody like this caliber?
It will just be used for plinking/target use as I have everything else covered.
Thanks for any input!

Love the 357 sig.
Have a Glock 22 with a Glock 357 sig barrel and a Lone Wolf dual ported barrel.
I also reload for it and there were a couple new tricks getting going with that. Just a little more powder than I use for my 9mm loads with the same bullet.(115gr JHP)

The .357 SIG is a great caliber. I have .357 SIG barrels for both P226 and P229, both originally chambered for .40 SW. For me, the 357 is a more accurate round than .40 SW and I like the feel of the recoil. Of course, this caliber is quite pricey, more expensive than either .40SW or .45ACP, and I would never select it for a plinking round unless I were reloading it. Fortunately, I do reload this caliber...

Ironically, the .357 SIG is less expensive to reload than .40SW, since most of the cost is in the bullets. The .357SIG can be loaded with 115 or 124gr 9mm bullets, I prefer 124 gr JHP. Of course, there is a trade off and reloading .357 SIG bullets requires an additional sizing step or case lubing, either of which add time to the loading process, and adjustment for bullet seating/crimping is tricky.

My suggestion, buy the .357SIG barrel and establish a friendship with a fellow shooter who is an experienced reloader, preferably one that reloads .40SW if not .357SIG ...

I like the .357 sig. I have a Glock 33 and I am not a big glock fan. Fun in that little gun, now with CT. Also have a P229, great shooting that hot 9mm.
Being a long time reloader, I was just a bit concerned about potential problems with that case: none came up. Just thinking about it, I'll have to go shoot one tomorrow!

I started with a Glock 31 and fell in love with the round. Now I have conversion barrels on all my pistols that permit it! I prefer it over .40 s&w!! I'd say you should for sure grab you a .357 sig barrel for that 226! Spendy for plinking a lot but my brother being a reloader and the great guy he is does all my reloading work for me and saves me a little $$$. :)

I appreciate the feedback.
I won't be doing a lot of plinking/shooting as my schedule doesn't really allow it right now and I just wanted the flexibility of a new round and was hoping other shooters had some positive experiences with it.
The ammo for my FN 5.7 is also a bit expensive.
Anybody try a 9mm conversion barrel in the .40 226? I know it has a heavier slide than the 9mm gun.

The .357 SIG is a great caliber. I have .357 SIG barrels for both P226 and P229, both originally chambered for .40 SW. For me, the 357 is a more accurate round than .40 SW and I like the feel of the recoil. Of course, this caliber is quite pricey, more expensive than either .40SW or .45ACP, and I would never select it for a plinking round unless I were reloading it. Fortunately, I do reload this caliber...

Ironically, the .357 SIG is less expensive to reload than .40SW, since most of the cost is in the bullets. The .357SIG can be loaded with 115 or 124gr 9mm bullets, I prefer 124 gr JHP. Of course, there is a trade off and reloading .357 SIG bullets requires an additional sizing step or case lubing, either of which add time to the loading process, and adjustment for bullet seating/crimping is tricky.

My suggestion, buy the .357SIG barrel and establish a friendship with a fellow shooter who is an experienced reloader, preferably one that reloads .40SW if not .357SIG ...

+1
I love .357Sig. My EDC is an H&K P2000 LEM in 357Sig. I also purchased .357Sig barrels for all my .40S&W pistols (P229, M&P-40...I wish I could find one for my P30). I reload (lead no less..up to 1320fps) and the only round cheaper to reload is 9mm...so if you reload, it's a no-brainer IMO. If you don't reload, it's an expensive round to practice with.

The only .357 Sig I have left is a KelTec P-40 with the optional .357 Sig barrel. A real handful in that small a pistol but it functions well all the time. I did have a Glock 33 with internal laser, just didn't like the feel of it.

Just be careful and don't get .4o brass that's been necked down, the case is too short and out of spec. It won't hold the bullet correctly and it can be pushed into the case when the gun is fired.

I don't have one currently, but hopefully in the near future I will. I reload for my 9's now so same bullet and a new set of dies I would be able to shoot the .357 sig pretty cheaply. The reading that I've done on this round sounds really good.

I have a P226 .40 with an aftermarket .357 Sig barrel. It is a sweet, flat shooter. I don't notice the added recoil at all when shooting. I also have the 9mm conversion barrel and it's a great set-up. My wife can't stand my P229 .40 cal, but shoots the p229 with the 9mm conversion barrel all day long. My barrels are both Bar-Sto drop-in's, the 9mm required no fitting, but the .357 sig had issues. I had several FTF's, which is not good at all with a bottle necked round! I called Bar-Sto and spoke with the owner. he had me send it back and I received a new barrel and never had a problem since.

I have used this round for duty carry. Always worried about how deep it goes. Well it does get to the heart of the matter. We were shooting cars, with gold dot 124 grain ammo it passes completely through a car trunk side to side, with very pretty round holes. All other rounds 9mm 45acp 40cal shot side by side, stoped before leaving the other side. The 45 excaped the trunk but stoped in an outside attached molding, 357sig went right through.

Been shot lotsa times with a 357 sig, just dig them out with pliers, put on a bandaid.:s0114:
You guys and your "will it stop this will it penetrate that" make me laugh. You are over thinking it.

Oh yeah, now let's hear the story about some one being shot with "x" caliber and running away. Or it not being able to "take down" an assailant.

the real truth is lots of people have been shot and died from a variety of calibers, some have not. What's best? The one you can hit a target with.

I have experience with an H&K P2000 in .357 Sig. Compared to the Sig, I like the ergo much better. It's a great weapon for a few reasons, but my reason for preferring it is the HE finish, shared with the USP Also, it feels similar, but better for a smaller handgun. It's a modernized USP, but it doesn't give up a single ounce of ruggedness or quality. They took what they learned from the USP, slimmed it, while retaining the durability. I'm impressed, and wonder why more people don't use it.
(Border patrol does, though..)

Expensive to shoot, but easy to purchase factory a .40 barrel and use the same magazines for practice. Remember this. The .40 is great for personal practice, because .357 Sig is far, far too expensive for plinking.

Been shot lotsa times with a 357 sig, just dig them out with pliers, put on a bandaid.:s0114:
You guys and your "will it stop this will it penetrate that" make me laugh. You are over thinking it.

Oh yeah, now let's hear the story about some one being shot with "x" caliber and running away. Or it not being able to "take down" an assailant.

the real truth is lots of people have been shot and died from a variety of calibers, some have not. What's best? The one you can hit a target with.

I was just adding info from recent "fundamentals" course i helped with. We did a lot of shooting in, around, and through cars to dispell "rumors" and old wise tails. . I've not shot or been sbot. Was and am ready if called, the public pays me to be ready to take on the 2%ers I'll do it with any avail tool if necessary.. My ol' boss said 357sig "good". Current boss says "40, good" you said it right, it's like business location, location, location...... i'll practice with what ever the government gives me. Lol.

I have used this round for duty carry. Always worried about how deep it goes. Well it does get to the heart of the matter. We were shooting cars, with gold dot 124 grain ammo it passes completely through a car trunk side to side, with very pretty round holes. All other rounds 9mm 45acp 40cal shot side by side, stoped before leaving the other side. The 45 excaped the trunk but stoped in an outside attached molding, 357sig went right through.

I'd rather have a .45 that expended all it's energy in a target then a .357 Sig that went clean through.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top