JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I inherited a Remington No. 4 in 25 Stevens, and since the ammo hasn't been produced since the 1960's, I'm assuming I'm pretty well doomed, until I stumbled on this thread:

"The Number 5 Power Load , available at Home Depot(Red Star S-43) can be fired after seating at #2 (.27") buck shot ball in breech. You push in buckshot ball then the #5 power load which seems to be .27" case diameter and fits in my old Stevens Favorite chamber just right. I just shot 10 over a chronograph and got 1270fps AVERAGE with 69Ffps deviation! Seems like about right , has a supersonic crack, which I wish it didn't have, but hey, I can shoot a beautiful old tang sighted gun I haven't shot in 30 years!"

Has anyone here tried this? I'm going to do some more research, but it certainly makes sense...

Last Edited:
I had a Favorite in .25 Stevens when I was a kid in the early 1960's. Ammo had been obsolete for about 10 years then, and I only found a little over 100 rounds by extensive searching. There was no internet then! ;)

Factory ammo was subsonic, with a pretty heavy bullet. At 50 yards, you could hear the bullet hit the target, as the muzzle blast had dissipated by the time the bullet got there. It was more powerful that Standard Velocity .22 Long, and probably SV long rifle, because of the heavier bullet. I think High Velocity .22 LR put it out to pasture because of flatter trajectory and similar power.

I loved the Favorite. It was light, handy, and fun to shoot. A neighbor found it underneath a pile of firewood in his shed. I pushed a bunch of sawdust out of the barrel when I resurrected it! It even came with the custom ring in the barrel! ;)

I would have shot it a lot more if I could have found ammo. Sigh.

We have an old stevens from the 1890s chambered in .25 stevens. My dad and I have always wanted to fire it, but I have never found ammo for it that wasn't online and selling $100 for 20 rounds or so.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top