JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i'm super stoked to see this thread get so much love.

i am such a huge fan of .22s. i very rarely shoot anything else.

and .22 matches are really becoming a thing.

i've got a dedicated .22 upper with an aimpoint from tac-sol that runs anything. amazing!

it's pistol friend is a 22/.45 mkiv. cant recommend highly enough. amazing!

.22LR! heck yeah!

I shot a Ruger Mark III for a dozen years with thousands of rounds shot. Accurate and fun to shoot. However, over time it's reliability dropped significantly so that even after a full strip down and deep clean the next time it went to the range it would start having issues again. I talked to a gun smith and several other knowledgeable people about it. Nobody could give me a good answer why. The gun smith did a couple of ultrasonic cleanings over the last couple of years, and insisted all parts inside were in perfect order. I was very particular about thoroughly cleaning and lubricating per the owner's manual. Finally in frustration I sold it and bought a Taurus TX22. I love the Taurus. Fun, reliable, and shoots whatever ammo I put through it. I've put more than a thousand rounds though it with excellent reliability. Grip feels great in the hand, nice sights, crisp trigger, and with a 16 round magazine it makes a great practice gun to pare with your defensive pistol (i.e. 9mm, etc.). I have a couple of Sig Sauers, but was scared off from buying a Mosquito because of the many reports of reliability issues. Ruger Mark IV seems like nice guns, but after my experience with the Mark III I was feeling a little burned by Ruger. Smith & Wesson Victory also seems like a nice gun, but I've heard disassembly & cleaning are a hassle (like the old Browning Buck Marks are fun to shoot but a real pain in the butt to strip & clean). I value quality guns, and have some expensive ones in my gun safe. However, I have nothing but praise for this relatively inexpensive Taurus.
I wish I had yer Ruger; I love to make 22's run.

Joe

To add to my earlier post (#12) regarding my new Sig P322. It's now on its 6th brick worth of ammo and running fine with every brand of ammo thrown at it.

All my buds at work are taking it out to shoot it because, like all gun nutz, who's going to pass a chance to shoot a new gun. They plan on shooting a mag or so and end up running all the .22LR they brought with them! I installed a Romeo Zero Elite around the 3k round mark and the addition has not caused any functioning issues.

So, give it a try if you can. It's another great option in a well-designed, great shooting .22
I have asked Sig to give me a discount on a P322 and I will continue to spread the word they manufacture a good weapon. They know I have 4 Sig hand guns and long guns, I have dealt with the service and sales department since 2001. That a non-Sig handgun they sold is such an example of third party lower quality, they know this from the emails they have sent to me now. I have asked them to keep the Mosquito and just give me a discount on a P322.
I love this thread also, you all are great people. My late friend Chris and I bought a lot of .22 long guns and pistols back in about 2005 so we could shoot all day cheaply and to take out the hundreds of Nutria around his property in McMinnville. .22 LR is even more popular now, he died in a car crash a few years back, but I still shoot a ton of .22LR with my other range friends. All the info here on the best .22 handguns from experience is a great reference with all the new versions on the market.

Last Edited:
Does anyone reading this thread have the Taurus TX22 Competition model? I have lots of 22 pistols but would appreciate opinions from forum members that have one. I don't have any pistols with a red dot but this may be the one for it. Lots of positive reviews on YouTube.

07942E17-9C4D-4805-ADDC-AAEEF295028E.jpeg

Last Edited:
MY High Standard HD Military, I'm trying to sell , runs like a champ, but then again I only use CCI SV ammo. Once in a great
whole I will have a failure and it's always the fault of the ammo. No ammo these days is perfect given the lack of quality control.

Does anyone reading this thread have the Taurus TX22 Competition model? I have lots of 22 pistols but would appreciate opinions from forum members that have one. I don't have any pistols with a red dot but this may be the one for it. Lots of positive reviews on YouTube.

View attachment 1281105
What's cool is that Taurus sells a kit to turn your regular TX into a comp. It's like $200.

I used to own a sig mosquito and I agree, it was hot garbage. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I love 22 pistols and I own a ton of them for suppressor hosts. I have good luck with the walther p22, ruger mk4, buckmark, s&w 617, Glock 44, cp33, fn 502 and I am looking forward to trying sig again, as today I picked up a p322. Thr mosquito I had doesn't even served to be mentioned in the presence of these others, mine was that bad.

I have high hopes for my new p322 (top) though

aOoprJu.jpg

I used to own a sig mosquito and I agree, it was hot garbage. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I love 22 pistols and I own a ton of them for suppressor hosts. I have good luck with the walther p22, ruger mk4, buckmark, s&w 617, Glock 44, cp33, fn 502 and I am looking forward to trying sig again, as today I picked up a p322. Thr mosquito I had doesn't even served to be mentioned in the presence of these others, mine was that bad.

View attachment 1281233
The Walther P22 is a'ight, but is a picky eater.

View attachment 1281233
Give us all an honest review of the P322 vs your other models, I am speaking with Sig tomorrow as they have asked to speak with me on a phone call. Hot garbage is a great description, mine is down right dangerous to even fire any longer. Sig needs to keep it and destroy it for safety concerns.

Give us all an honest review of the P322 vs your other models, I am speaking with Sig tomorrow as they have asked to speak with me on a phone call. Hot garbage is a great description, mine is down right dangerous to even fire any longer. Sig needs to keep it and destroy it for safety concerns.
That's what I thought of mine too, I know that sig didn't make them in house but I was hoping for at least some quality control.

I did put about 200 rounds through that new p322 this weekend and I did not have a single failure, so it's already 200 times better than my mosquito. And it's made in house by Sig, so it's looking great so far.

That's what I thought of mine too, I know that sig didn't make them in house but I was hoping for at least some quality control.

I did put about 200 rounds through that new p322 this weekend and I did not have a single failure, so it's already 200 times better than my mosquito. And it's made in house by Sig, so it's looking great so far.
That new Sig P322 sounds like a winner. Too bad King Jay and his gang of elitists have decreed that us Washington serfs cannot be trusted with any new magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. So unless I move to a free state where the U S and state constitutions are respected by the elected officials, I will never get to find out. At least not legally. :(

I have 5 boxes of the Federal Blue Box Value Pack ammo, I run it through the Sig 522 and have zero issues. Even the Ruger 10/22 I have, stainless barrel with the polymer stock to shoot in the rain of Oregon, it will eat it flawless. That is why the Mosquito drives me crazy. My two .22 rifles will eat anything, the Mosquito now doesn't even accept CCI mini mags.
I will be writing a nice letter to Sig corporate tomorrow about my one Sig underperformer. I would like them to take it from me since I know it is a dog and I can't sell a crappy gun to another person, that is not my style. Not a buy back or credit, just want them to know it does not function.
Not that I expect anything from an old .22 that this one is, but as time goes on, this gun just gets worse and worse. I clean it more than any of my other hand guns, I over clean this dog. But no love for me. Sad, I enjoy all my other guns, this one is now going to sit in my safe until I decide what to do with it.
Found an old picture of it, it's the one in the middle of the handguns. It shames the picture, the P226 next to it is an amazing hand gun.

View attachment 1271217
Sig stopped licensing to manufacture the Mosquito years ago. Doubt you will see much action from them on it. It's now built as the GSG Firefly I believe. Like many have said, Ruger MK series are awesome .22 pistols. I own two, never a problem. I generally run Remington Golden Hollow Points through everything .22 I own, even my HK416 .22LR AR clone. I used to own a Walther P22 until recently, but was never really happy with the action on it, but it never had ammo issues either. I have also been using Aguila .22 sub-sonics with supressors on 2 of my guns, and they never fail to cycle.

However, I own a new KelTec CP33, and it will not accept the Remington ammo in the mags, the mag will start pinching and jamming, which is a huge pain for a 33-round mag. I have to keep CCI Blazer for the Keltec to load it properly, and it has never misfired on that.

On a final note, I have a Sig P226 MK25, and I got the .22LR conversion kit for it, and it will eat any ammo I run down it as well.

Sig stopped licensing to manufacture the Mosquito years ago. Doubt you will see much action from them on it. It's now built as the GSG Firefly I believe. Like many have said, Ruger MK series are awesome .22 pistols. I own two, never a problem. I generally run Remington Golden Hollow Points through everything .22 I own, even my HK416 .22LR AR clone. I used to own a Walther P22 until recently, but was never really happy with the action on it, but it never had ammo issues either. I have also been using Aguila .22 sub-sonics with supressors on 2 of my guns, and they never fail to cycle.

However, I own a new KelTec CP33, and it will not accept the Remington ammo in the mags, the mag will start pinching and jamming, which is a huge pain for a 33-round mag. I have to keep CCI Blazer for the Keltec to load it properly, and it has never misfired on that.

On a final note, I have a Sig P226 MK25, and I got the .22LR conversion kit for it, and it will eat any ammo I run down it as well.
For your cp33, do you have the speedloader for the mags? With mine, I always had trouble loading them until I got that and it solved all of my mag problems for the most part. My cp33 now will eat just about anything that's not subsonic.

Ruger SR22 for the win.... Over five years ago, I bought one for the wife to qualify with in getting her CCW permit (she now carries a G42). This is hands down our favorite handgun to shoot and I have a plethora of calibers/configurations to pick from. For rimfire ammo, I use CCI brand predominately and no issues. When I first got it, I tried some old Winchester stuff that I had from decades gone by and had a few failures to eject....maybe after several hundreds of rounds later I should try some again and see if anything differs. I use Frog Lube for cleaning/lubrication on most of my firearms and it simply works. The SR22 feels good in the hand and the sights are easy to see/find even with old eyes and it is as accurate as can be. It's a fun gun to shoot...don't pass this one by if you are in the market for a semi-.22LR.

Ruger SR22 for the win.... Over five years ago, I bought one for the wife to qualify with in getting her CCW permit (she now carries a G42). This is hands down our favorite handgun to shoot and I have a plethora of calibers/configurations to pick from. For rimfire ammo, I use CCI brand predominately and no issues. When I first got it, I tried some old Winchester stuff that I had from decades gone by and had a few failures to eject....maybe after several hundreds of rounds later I should try some again and see if anything differs. I use Frog Lube for cleaning/lubrication on most of my firearms and it simply works. The SR22 feels good in the hand and the sights are easy to see/find even with old eyes and it is as accurate as can be. It's a fun gun to shoot...don't pass this one by if you are in the market for a semi-.22LR.
Wife bought one of those in the compact form many years ago. She LOVES it. Being very recoil sensitive we had gone through a LOT of EDC guns for her. This one she carried for a very long time and loved to shoot with it. Only got moved over when she got a Ruger LCPII in 22 but she still loves to shoot her SR. Even got the model with a set up to take a can in case one day we finally get around to getting one :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top