JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito. Damn thing jams more than it shoots, use only quality CCI mini mag ammo as recommended by Sig, but it is a jam machine. Had a stovepipe jam at the range and the round discharged when trying to unjam it. I treat all guns as death bringers, so it was aimed safe down range and the round went into soil, but it still scared and stunned me at what a low quality hand gun this is. I know the Mosquito is not really a Sig, but does anyone know of a .22 pistol that doesn't jam and actually will shoot more than just certain high quality .22 ammo? I have two .22 rifles, a Sig 522 and a Ruger 10/22 and they eat any ammo I feed them, never jam, never misfire.

I have a Sig Sauer .22 Mosquito. Damn thing jams more than it shoots, use only quality CCI mini mag ammo as recommended by Sig, but it is a jam machine. Had a stovepipe jam at the range and the round discharged when trying to unjam it. I treat all guns as death bringers, so it was aimed safe down range and the round went into soil, but it still scared and stunned me at what a low quality hand gun this is. I know the Mosquito is not really a Sig, but does anyone know of a .22 pistol that doesn't jam and actually will shoot more than just certain high quality .22 ammo? I have two .22 rifles, a Sig 522 and a Ruger 10/22 and they eat any ammo I feed them, never jam, never misfire.
How often do you clean and lube it?

Smith and Wesson M&P 22 Compact. Like them so much I have two. (Ok my kids used to all want to shoot the little .22 auto, so got a second). I run them mostly both suppressed with CCI Suppressor Ammo. They will get dirty (extra due to the cans) and eventually all gummy be done until cleaned. But crazy easily to clean. Draw back is the dam mags are $$. But the guns work great.

1582475C-243D-4916-AB99-1D537F6C6BA3.jpeg

Every time I take it to the range, so monthly or more often when the weather is decent in Oregon. During the winter it sits in a nice dry gun safe but I oil and lube it well for winter storage. From purchase it always was very particular with ammo, Sig told me by email to only shoot CCI mini mags and it would recoil enough to fire without issues. After my last adventure yesterday, I think I need to sell or give it away and get a more reliable .22 pistol.
I have heard the Ruger Mark series are solid, I appreciate the feedback Nutty4Guns. Sig now makes it's own .22 pistol, not a third party manufacturer.

I use to have problems galore with my Walther P22. Then.....I started looking for and actually trying different ammo brands in my pistol.

1662353987850.png

El cheap-o.....Remington Thunderbolt and Remington Value Packs of their Golden Bullets actually works. While my Federals, Federal Am Eagle, CCI Blazers, CCI Standard Velocity, and many others, didn't.

Mind you that you should/might just find that cleaning your pistol (a little more often) might help too.

Aloha, Mark

If a gun discharges a round when the user was trying to clear a jam then I tend to doubt that the gun is the problem.

How many rounds had been through the 22 pistol since the last good cleaning?

What exactly was the jam? Failure to extract? Failure to feed?

Which exact steps were being used on the pistol to address the "jam"?

If a gun discharges a round when the user was trying to clear a jam then I tend to doubt that the gun is the problem.

How many rounds had been through the 22 pistol since the last good cleaning?

What exactly was the jam? Failure to extract? Failure to feed?

Which exact steps were being used on the pistol to address the "jam"?
Come on, man!

NOTE : the comment at 03:30

I wanted one way back when. To play with......instead of my Sig P226, P228 and P229 (as sort of a "trainer"). But.....oh well, it didn't happen for me.

Later, I picked up the Walther P22 and later still a S&W M&P22. I had forgotten about the Sig option. Oh well.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Ruger Mk series (doesn't matter the number) just plain run. My Mk 2 has literally hundreds of bricks through it and it's going strong, like many others I know who have these. They were / are a mainstay platform in bullseye competition.

I also have a Ruger SR 22 that runs perfectly, as does my new Sig P322. The Sig only has a couple thousand rounds so far, but it runs great. The only problems have been due to bad ammo (true for all .22LR) and the occasional misfeed from the magazine until I learned the easy trick to ensure they feed perfectly. Load the mag correctly and all 20 or 25 just fly through the gun.

There are others that run great, like Buckmarks, Hi-Standards, etc. but I only own those I listed above.

Oh! Almost forgot my cheapie Ruger Wrangler! What a super fun lil' plinker, that runs perfectly as well.

Stay away from the Glock 44. While a great concept the execution failed miserably. That gun is a disaster with slide breakage, needing different recoil springs when mounting even a featherweight optic and a history of jamming over and over.

I hope this helps!

Last Edited:
Bought my Mosquito for a cheap ammo "trainer" for my P226 Blackwater. I am going to try every brand of .22 ammo out there, honestly have not done that yet as I just followed Sigs recommendation for the CCI ammo. All of this info is very helpful, appreciate it.
And I caused the discharge, I was stupid. I take full responsibility for it, did not shoot my friends at the range or anyone else. Won't happen ever again.
Love the video, spot on. The trigger does suck, could not agree more. Realized my gun is really old, next purchase is a new, better built .22.

Last Edited:
Currently have 3 Ruger .22 pistols. LCP II, MK II, and MKIV. All of them work great with any "decent ammo" if they are clean. Only time I start to have problems with them is after a range session burning a lot of ammo and they start to get gunked up.

I'm sure no one will probably mention them (🤭), but yeah.... Ruger MK series (don't matter which) flat out just run and eat just about anything. Easy to shoot, accurate, highly durable.... the only real drawback, if you can call it that, is the breakdown is "unique" and might take a few run throughs to master.

I have one that went through a house fire. Other than having to replace the handle grips and mucking up the finish... it's still running reliably on orginal parts.

Not that it's recommended, but it does say a bit about the engineering and construction.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with a mosquito, but there really does seem to be some reliability variations from one to the next. It may be outdated thinking, but I still kind of hold to.... if it won't operate reliably with mini-mags, it's a dud in my book. Not that it may not be correctable, but somethings definately not right.

Can't argue with the trigger suckage though.;)

Only 22lr pistol I have that shoots any 22 reliably is my Ruger single six....all 22lr auto pistols are picky and only shoot certain ammo...

Funny enough, the most reliable .22 pistol I've ever owned is my Taurus TX22 Competition, which has not generally been my experience with guns from that brand. It has happily eaten everything I've given it, from the cheapest ammo up to Eley and Lapua, suppressed and unsuppressed.

I'm sure no one will probably mention them (🤭), but yeah.... Ruger MK series (don't matter which) flat out just run and eat just about anything. Easy to shoot, accurate, highly durable.... the only real drawback, if you can call it that, is the breakdown is "unique" and might take a few run throughs to master.

I have one that went through a house fire. Other than having to replace the handle grips and mucking up the finish... it's still running reliably on orginal parts.

Not that it's recommended, but it does say a bit about the engineering and construction.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with a mosquito, but there really does seem to be some reliability variations from one to the next. It may be outdated thinking, but I still kind of hold to.... if it won't operate reliably with mini-mags, it's a dud in my book. Not that it may not be correctable, but somethings definately not right.

Can't argue with the trigger suckage though.;)
I have for decades use the CCI MM as a "test ammo". When someone has a .22 that they say will not feed first thing I try. If it will not feed those then there is something that needs tweaking. During the last two "great panic shortages" I bought a LOT of other ammo and most of it worked very well in all my Ruger long guns and pistols of the name brand stuff. The bulk ammo seemed to normally be the only real problem with the exception of that Federal Automatch. That all my guns seem to love as much as the CCI for some reason. Worst hands down was some Fed "Valu pack" Wife bought panic before this last panic. She unknown to me ordered over 7K rounds of the stuff. A lot of it is still here a decade later as it just will not run or shoot well in anything I own. When it does fire its wildly inaccurate. Always been curious how the same Co can make ammo that's so good and so bad at the same time. :mad:

I have 5 boxes of the Federal Blue Box Value Pack ammo, I run it through the Sig 522 and have zero issues. Even the Ruger 10/22 I have, stainless barrel with the polymer stock to shoot in the rain of Oregon, it will eat it flawless. That is why the Mosquito drives me crazy. My two .22 rifles will eat anything, the Mosquito now doesn't even accept CCI mini mags.
I will be writing a nice letter to Sig corporate tomorrow about my one Sig underperformer. I would like them to take it from me since I know it is a dog and I can't sell a crappy gun to another person, that is not my style. Not a buy back or credit, just want them to know it does not function.
Not that I expect anything from an old .22 that this one is, but as time goes on, this gun just gets worse and worse. I clean it more than any of my other hand guns, I over clean this dog. But no love for me. Sad, I enjoy all my other guns, this one is now going to sit in my safe until I decide what to do with it.
Found an old picture of it, it's the one in the middle of the handguns. It shames the picture, the P226 next to it is an amazing hand gun.

Old_Group_Pic.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads