Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any 1911 experts out there US&S/Colt

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by roguebw, Dec 23, 2015.

1. roguebw

roguebw Medford, OR Active Member

I picked up this 1911 a few years ago and have done some research off and on over that time. I got it from a guy who was helping out a widow sell off some of her late husbands guns.
    The original grips were toast but everything else is just the way I received it.

US&S frame with a Colt slide. It has been worked over by a gunsmith and is very tight and one of the most accurate pistols I own.

It has German Uln import marks from 1966 on both the frame and slide.
    Under the serial number it is remarked 44 auto HEGE.

I can't seem to find the info I had saved from a couple years ago. Any info would be appriciated.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. Pops1911

Pops1911 Cinebar/Issaquah Well-Known Member

Perhaps a Frankenpistol from WW2? That's the best I got.

3. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Interesting Union Switch and Signal frame that's been imported into Germany. This is going to make me get a book out!

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  4. roguebw

I thought Frankenpistol when I bought it. I couldn't touch a good 1911 for what I paid for it. I don't care about value, it is never going to leave me. I can't remember the name of the program they had for servicemen to shoot for fun and competition when they were oversees, but that might be the reason for importing into Germany.

5. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Sights killed the slide value. And the markings kill the frame value.
    On a side note. The Germans should have marked the barrel somewhere.

If it was original and correct with this work done it would be truly sad.
    At least yours is an import marked mixmaster.

There were a lot of folks that customized their correct guns.

That's when you take your $2000 gun. Have $400 worth of work done.
    And turn it into a $500 shooter. :D

6. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Think of it like the 57' Chevy principle. If people hadn't hot-rodded them, made gassers out of them, raced them, and wrapped them around trees on back country roads and ridges all over the country, there would be thousands more of them and they wouldn't be worth near as much.

Likewise if people didn't make defensive guns, race guns, sporting guns, bullseye guns, and the like out of 1911's, revolvers, and military rifles, then there would be millions more in original condition and the values wouldn't be there.

Medic! likes this.
  7. roguebw

Whats the point of having a perfect 57 Chevy that just sits in the garage and looks pretty. I shoot all of my guns, and thats why i have this one. I was just hoping someone would know more about it than me, not weather the firing pin spring was original or not. :)

Pops1911 and Medic! like this.
  8. roguebw

I got to thinking about the guy who had this before me and if I was in his shoes I might have done the same thing with this pistol. Except the ugly target sites. He probably bought the pistol for $20 or so, at some point paid $100 or so for a gunsmith to work it over. He had a great shooting gun for the rest of his life and then his wife sold it for a profit. I didn't even know it was A US&S frame for several months after I bought it. It is definitely going with me to the next range trip to eat a few hundred rounds.

9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

The nice thing is that rear sight will slide right out and the original can be pushed right back in!!
    The front sight is a wide tenon, remove it and put an original back in it's place...

Parkerize the whole thing and enjoy! :)