Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Antique case value?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by alphapygmy, Dec 6, 2011.

1. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Yamhill County Active Member

Anybody know where to look to find the value of antique artillery brass? I've got an 1889 Winchester case for a 6 pound Hotchkiss gun and was wondering what to ask for it. Thanks.

shell.jpg

2. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

-$3# scrap price
    Put it on eBay.

3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree about putting it on a national auction site...it'll sell for the highest amount that someone somewhere is willing to pay.

It might not be what you want for it, though.

If you can hold on to it for a while until things improve somewhat, you might want to do that...everything is soft right now and antiques are no less so.

Keith

4. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Yamhill County Active Member

I found this on oldgun.net/catho.htm a little bit ago-"RARE EARLY WINCHESTER 6 PDR HOTCHKISS 3 PIECE BRASS CASE (57 x 307mmR) - This uses the early Hotchkiss patent case composed of three pieces secured by rivets. Excellent markings on the base including 11-89 date and patent dates 1874 and 1877. $249.00"
    This is exactly what I have and the only thing I've been able to find on the web. I'll probably throw it up on Ebay and see what happens. Some money is better than no money and a big brass paperweight! We're cleaning and sorting because we're in the process of buying our first house so we are decluttering so there is less to move.

5. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Congratz on the first home purchase!

6. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth, we have over 150 Hummels and most of the boxes, used to be valued at over $45,000, now I doubt that we could get $15,000 for them