JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've co-written a gun-carry iPhone and Android app that I think might be of interest. This app is a crowd-sourced listing of anti-gun locations (stores, restaurants, etc...) across the United States.
Posted! - Carry List Anti-Gun Locations.
iPhone/iPad: (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id530004581?mt=8)
Android: ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.posted)

I based this on what I and others I spoke with thought would be really useful! I always found it annoying to make plans with friends to go to a restaurant, only to be turned away at the last second because of their "no guns" sign, or to drive all the way to a store, only to find out I could not enter to buy the item I needed. This app makes it very easy to find locations that prohibit carry (based on current location, city, or name), so you know before going to one. And it makes it very easy to add such locations to the list (including picture, GPS, address, and description), so others will know where to avoid.

I recently added the information from Northwest Firearms Forum's many "List of anti-gun stores" threads for Oregon and Washington. (I did this with permission and with attribution.) This is in addition to the businesses added by a few users.

The description is below. Please let me know what you think! I'm always looking for ways to make it better. I am especially interested if anyone has any new posted anti-gun locations that haven't been already mentioned on Northwest Firearms.

App Description:
This application is for any gun owner! The purpose of this app is for the legal and conscientious concealed carry license holder to know where they cannot legally carry before getting there. A licensed permit holder or a resident of a constitutional carry state can usually legally carry their firearm in any location other than statutory "no carry" locations such as schools, gov. buildings, etc., and in locations that are posted prohibiting firearms. This is a list of those Posted locations.

Find hotels where you can't carry before booking a trip to one. Find restaurants where you cannot carry before making dinner plans. Find stores to avoid before you step out the door. It is extremely inconvenient to not find out until you get to a location that they prohibit your second amendment rights. You have to either disarm in the parking lot (causing your vehicle to be a target for thieves) or go somewhere else at the last second. If you know beforehand, you can avoid the places that prohibit carry, or you can leave your firearm at home if you must attend.

So far, we have a comprehensive list of "Posted anti-gun" locations collected in Arizona, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, and Wisconsin. We have assembled smaller lists in Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington; all provided by many great gun forums and sites with their permission. Since it is crowd-sourced by users like you, please be patient while the list grows! The initial Database doesn't have listings yet for other states. Be the first person in your state to grab data and add it to the app! You receive attribution for listing, and will receive special thanks for starting your state's listing!

This list is user-updated, and will continue to get better over time. But this relies on you! If you go to a place not on the list and they have a sign, please add it with a few clicks via the "Add Location" button! If a place had taken down their sign, get it removed the same way! If you already have a list of anti-gun businesses in your area or state, please send me an email. We would love to include any data you have collected, and give you credit for it!

The only problem I could see with that is there is a lot of people who simply don't care if they post a sign or not, they will carry there anyways. In Oregon(and I think Washington) it is only trespass if they find out you are carrying, ask you to leave, and you don't leave. Then they can call the cops and get you for trespassing with a firearm. Concealed means concealed, so the first part of that shouldn't happen anyways.

I am one of those people, so I will not be downloading your app.

That said, good luck with your venture!

I downloaded this app to my iPhone 4 running the new iOS 6. So far it keeps crashing after I start the app. I hope I didn't waste $0.99 on this app...
This is the first occurance I have heard of that problem. Thank you for bringing your concern to my attention. I will certainly help you remediate it. I will PM with details.

hahaha person comes and posts their app for sale with their first post and issues ensue.....

Since when did a restaurant/store having a POLICY stop anyone??? I've never gone out on a date and said "Ahhh shucks darn shoot hunny, my concealed weapon contradicts their request for a peaceful eating environment with no weapons like guns or knives. Well except of course for the sharp knife they give for eating, that one's the safe one"

If I went to a private establishment while carrying, and i saw a sign saying 'no firearms', I would probably ignore it. But if I was making plans to go to a specific place, and I found out that the establishment has a reputation for being virulently anti-gun, I might choose to take my business elsewhere. All this app does is provide some assistance to those wanting to avoid anti-gun establishments. If you're one of those people, and the app actually works, it's a great way to help you identify these establishments while sending a little financial support to a pro-gun small-business owner. If you don't need it or want it, don't buy it. Pretty simple.

One thing I hate is buying apps that suck or that I never use. Can't say I ever read the signs that say I can't carry. If they do catch me then what? They ask me to leave? I leave, no harm no foul.

Feature request: PRO Gun Locations?

I would buy it if you allowed listing pro gun locations. I would steer my business to those places.

I agree that is a good idea. You are not the first to make this suggestion. I will be adding this feature to a future release.

But first, I'm first focusing on fixing all bugs in the app. I uploaded the fix to apple over the weekend to make it "play nice" in IOS6 for people who've upgraded. Apple usually takes about 7 days to approve an update, so the latest one should go live next weekend.

The only problem I could see with that is there is a lot of people who simply don't care if they post a sign or not, they will carry there anyways. In Oregon(and I think Washington) it is only trespass if they find out you are carrying, ask you to leave, and you don't leave. Then they can call the cops and get you for trespassing with a firearm. Concealed means concealed, so the first part of that shouldn't happen anyways.

I am one of those people, so I will not be downloading your app.

That said, good luck with your venture!

This.

OP, GL with your app, but you REALLY NEED this to apply to TX businesses, where binding signage is the rule.

I carry anywhere I damned where please unless there's a metal detector. I'll leave if asked.

I've gotten really anal about this. I have lived in states where carry was "THE HORROR" for long enough that I will no longer tolerate it unless I have to. I won't commit a felony or gross misdemeanot. an infraction on the other hand? Who gives a rip. I'll pay the damned fine.

If someone erroneously or maliciously lists a business that is in fact pro-2A, what process do you have in place to catch it?

That is both the great power (and sometimes pain) in crowd-sourcing. If someone lists a location that is not actually posted, I rely on userbase to let the admin team know. I have had only a few locations so far that were updated as "No longer posted". Once updated and confirmed by users, I remove it from the list. This process is not perfect. I do have some procedures in place to oversee a location being either added or removed to minimize false adding (or removal) of locations. They require admin approval before the changes go live. But in general, the truth will win out in most scenarios. I have started conversations to confirm an update is correct if it seems odd. But the main guarantee is that if someone erroneously reports a location as anti, others will submit requests saying that it was erroneous.

This is an update after downloading the latest version of the app. I posted this in full fairness to xwing since my initial posting noted that the app was unstable.

First, I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 6 (the latest), and now running the latest version of the app.

The app is now stable and things seem to function as intended. I was able to download a new version of the local database.

xwing, recommended enhancements for your consideration:

Allow posting of gun-friendly places. Perhaps show these with a green flag on the map? This is visually easy for users to understand when overlaid on the map (green flag = gun friendly, red flag = unfriendly).

If the app is working only with a local database, figure out a way to notify/encourage me to download a new database. I don't have much more for guidance here. Perhaps at least once a month, and then more often if there have been a bunch of changes in my area?

Improve the home screen. The buttons are just too small.

Hope this helps. I think the app has interesting potential if people start contributing pro-gun or no-gun observations to the database.

Peter

This is an update after downloading the latest version of the app. I posted this in full fairness to xwing since my initial posting noted that the app was unstable.

First, I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 6 (the latest), and now running the latest version of the app.

The app is now stable and things seem to function as intended. I was able to download a new version of the local database.

xwing, recommended enhancements for your consideration:

Allow posting of gun-friendly places. Perhaps show these with a green flag on the map? This is visually easy for users to understand when overlaid on the map (green flag = gun friendly, red flag = unfriendly).

If the app is working only with a local database, figure out a way to notify/encourage me to download a new database. I don't have much more for guidance here. Perhaps at least once a month, and then more often if there have been a bunch of changes in my area?

Improve the home screen. The buttons are just too small.

Hope this helps. I think the app has interesting potential if people start contributing pro-gun or no-gun observations to the database.

Peter

All good advice! Thank you

It does encourage you when you don't have as recent data, with a "click "Yes" to update" popup. It'll auto-remind when your data is 7 days old, 10 days old, and 30 days old. (I didn't turn on "push notifications", which tend to annoy people. It only will remind you if you open the app.)

I agree about the home screen and about the "Pro-gun" locations. I am working right now on the ability to manage and view "pro-gun" alternatives. And I will also be focusing on trying to clean up the UI. If you (or anyone else) had more suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

This app has been updated again. Overall, it has improved and there is a new option to add a gun-friendly establishment (green flag). People are also starting to contribute friendly or non-friendly businesses.

Things that I think need a fix:

When I press the Search Nearby button, just show the map and the flags visible in that map range. The problem right now is I am asked for a radius. It works, but if I keep scrolling on the map outside of that radius then flags are not appearing as expected.

Peter

Question for Xwing: as we go through our lives and discover anti-gun establishments and then add them to the program does this update everybody's database or just mine?

it's great on the one hand about not going to business that don't allow ccw but at the same time you should call or email those business 's a copy of your receipt where you did go and say you were going to go there but had to go to a different place that was safer (allowed to ccw)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top