JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bob Kramer is a friend of mine and I can tell you that he is a pretty special case when it comes to custom knife makers. Bob is one of the very, very few that has "made" it in any commercial sense and its as much for his business acumen as for his skill (he is insanely talented but there are lots of other knife makers just as skilled who dont have a 5 year waiting list for knives that fetch $1000 per inch of blade)

I just bought a set of Shun Soras.... their "entry" line, and still set me back hundreds. Definitely the nicest kitchen knives I've ever laid hands on. In doing my research on what I wanted in a chef knife/knife set, I learned all about forging techniques, steels, grinds, etc... I'm certainly no expert from a couple afternoons reading articles on the internet, but I did come to the unexpected conclusion that I did NOT want to drop over $1000 on a block set. The value bell-curve drops off sharply at around $400-500.... you're paying for gimmick after that.

If you want an etched damascus knive folded from meteorite, you can have one. Just don't fool yourself.

People buy Bob's knifes as a sign of status, sure. But if you think a block of knives that cost $400 are comparable to a set of Bob's its you who are fooling yourself. Could your average Joe appreciate the performance difference? Probably. Should they buy Bob's knives, probably not. Its like saying there is no reason to spend $250,000 of a Ferrari because a $50,000 Audi will do 98% of the same thing at a fraction of the cost. There are plenty of folks who dont need nor should buy a Ferrari, That does not mean there is no reason to buy one.

Just opinion but I don't think most people ever get the full potential out of their tools. Most never need the $4000 dollar target pistol because they don't play the game and don't have the skill to shoot straight enough to warrant the expense. Most will never use a $4000 blade because there just isn't a need in their lifestyle. Most are just like me and love to own fine things weather we ever use them or not. If I bought a name knife it would be for show and the blade would probably never be tested.

Anyone heard of Carter Cutlery?
In Hillsboro, I must have driven past them a thousand times.

Alton Brown recommends their kitchen knives.

Since they cost more than my pistols ... I'd say they were pricey.

(your pistols probably cost more than mine ... )

http://www.cartercutlery.com/

191x127.FunayukiDAM.1__80327.1435700842.1280.1280.jpg
http://www.cartercutlery.com/6-3-sun-high-grade-funayuki-premium-hardwoods-127grams/

So for the knife snobs, please let me in on what a high dollar custom knife does that my $90 set of ss knives from Costco does not do.

For one thing they actually cut stuff ;-)

Again we're talking the difference between a Ferrari and a Volkswagen. If you need somebody to tell you the difference between the two you probably can't appreciate the differences

Not everybody gets it

So for the knife snobs, please let me in on what a high dollar custom knife does that my $90 set of ss knives from Costco does not do.

Chicks dig em? They make your schmeckle appear longer? They look cooler? They make yiu cry if you break or loose one?

Seriously they are cool but our knife set is the $50 stuff from Target. If i was stupid rich i might buy a set like that but thatd be after every other toy and investment is taken care of.

For one thing they actually cut stuff ;-)

Again we're talking the difference between a Ferrari and a Volkswagen. If you need somebody to tell you the difference between the two you probably can't appreciate the differences

Not everybody gets it

For big money it better cut stuff and stay sharp or its no better than a cheap knife. Knife makers can make a tool look good but doesn't mean it's the best tool.

In Bobs case it actually does. His knives are all about performance, it's just a added benefit that they are beautiful. There is no comparison to one of his knives and a cheap stainless one. There is no way to describe the difference in quality, it has to be experienced.

If history is any indication they will appreciate considerably.

He had a problem here a while back where guys where selling their spot on his waiting list (which at the time was 5 years long). A guy towards the front of the list would advertise on a knife forum he would sell his spot for $1000-$2000. He also had a number of guys buying his stuff and reselling it on eBay for double and triple what he charged.

Yeah I don't get it I guess. I can get a cheap kitchen knife pretty sharp and it makes big pieces of food into small pieces pretty easy.

I have never thought to myself "I would spend thousands of dollars to make this arduous task of slicing peppers 17% easier"

I do have serious respect for the craftsmanship though.

But yeah whatever your in to. For me it's beanie babies. Yes a ten dollar stuffy will snuggle pretty good but unless you've snuggled a $2k beanie baby, you won't get it.

Yeah I don't get it I guess. I can get a cheap kitchen knife pretty sharp and it makes big pieces of food into small pieces pretty easy.

I have never thought to myself "I would spend thousands of dollars to make this arduous task of slicing peppers 17% easier"

But yeah whatever your in to. For me it's beanie babies. Yes a ten dollar stuffy will snuggle pretty good but unless you've snuggled a $2k beanie baby, you won't get it.

:D it gets down to who has the disposable cash to buy something and can be sold the need to have something. You can get by with less but it makes you happy to have something rare. What does it take to sell a man a $4000 knife? A man with $4000 he will spend on a knife.:D:confused:

I love (and appreciate) just about ANYTHING that is done well, and know FINE things cost what they do for a reason. Having said that, I used to buy spendy folder knives, but I've found my $16 folder that's Spyderco-ish in shape by "Coast" lasts just as long, more or less.

I'm REALLY hard on my EDC "pocket" knifes, using them as a "multi-tool" (pry-bar, scraper, putty knife, screw-driver, wire stripper, even as a knife!) and I toss them once they break. (3-9 months)

Last Edited:

Excellent example that you don't get it. Because there is nothing different about a $10 beanie baby and a $2000 one except demand. With Bob's knife you are talking about the difference between a $10 chunk of crap made by a machine in China VS a hand crafted knife made from the finest steel on the planet by quite possibly the most skilled maker of kitchen knives alive.

I guess stick with your Stuft animals

You know "someone" would toss that thing in the dishwasher with the long forced "dry" cycle.. along with the handmade cutting boards. Just the way things are.

Excellent example that you don't get it. Because there is nothing different about a $10 beanie baby and a $2000 one except demand. With Bob's knife you are talking about the difference between a $10 chunk of crap made by a machine in China VS a hand crafted knife made from the finest steel on the planet by quite possibly the most skilled maker of kitchen knives alive.

I guess stick with your Stuft animals

I think you may be more biased because this is up your alley and you can appreciate what it takes to craft more than the rest of us who makes some salsa once a month or slices a chicken breast once in awhile.

Definitely beautiful knives though but to me and other heathens, they can be appreciated as art rather than any real utilitarian use.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top