JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw a You Tube vid put up by "Not An Expert" for a different way to de-prime and thought I'd try it out.
It's simply 2 fender washers screwed down to a block of wood, with one having it's center hole drilled out to the case head diameter.
A de-priming pin from any die in the spindle of my drill press, using the drill press to de-prime...without the spindle running;)
45ACP.JPG DrillFixture.JPG PrmrCup.JPG
Makes it easy to de-prime before tumbling, without resizing,
:D

Last Edited:
I do something similar except I use a vise with the proper shell holder.
View attachment 336393
Thanks for reading/posting in this thread.
'cept all my shell holders are big round discs, with 5 slots...
:)

The RCBS de-capping die does not resize and is not at all expensive.
Then you can just use your reloading press.
Thanks for posting here.
Yea, but I would need to remove my progressive press from the bench and mount the single stage press, I have a quick change for that, except I don't have a shell holder for 45ACP:(.

This is easy to setup and can quickly de-prime a lot of brass (off press), without searching for a slot in a shell holder on the press.
Finding a case that takes added effort usually means it is crimped and I simply chamfer the primer pocket with a hand drill I have near by.
I guess that changes the operation from de-priming to brass processing...or batch processing :rolleyes::s0112:
just sayin'

Last Edited:

Thanks for posting here.
Yea, but I would need to remove my progressive press from the bench and mount the single stage press, I have a quick change for that, except I don't have a shell holder for 45ACP:(.

This is easy to setup and can quickly de-prime a lot of brass (off press), without searching for a slot in a shell holder on the press.
Finding a case that takes added effort usually means it is crimped and I simply chamfer the primer pocket with a hand drill I have near by.
just sayin'
Guess it works for me because I batch process.
Several hundred cases are all having the same thing done to them before I move on to the next case prep step.

I know there are many ways to de-prime brass, with many of the traditional methods using a reloading press and more equipment.

I'm just showing another/alternative/quick method using minimal specialized equipment/no press, using stuff most reloaders already have, not to debate what is "best".
If you're are happy with your method, fine, as I'm happy with mine.
Feel free to post away,

I never thought about progressives not having shellholders lol. With the setup I use sometimes that tapered pin sticks a little in some of the brass. The shellholder keeps the brass down. Either way it's the fastest method I've used for processing lots of brass before cleaning and preparation.

Thanks to all for viewing/posting
For me, the key reason for off press de-priming is the crud that comes out with the primer that ends up on/under the shell plate on a progressive, eventually tying up the priming pin.
just sayin'

This makes me want to go out in the garage and drill something. I'll also go out there and ponder the reasons why I don't have to go through as many steps and jump through as many hoops as some do when it comes to reloading... Obviously I'm doing something wrong...:oops:

This makes me want to go out in the garage and drill something. I'll also go out there and ponder the reasons why I don't have to go through as many steps and jump through as many hoops as some do when it comes to reloading... Obviously I'm doing something wrong...:oops:
Thanks for posting...
Your post is a long answer to:
Am I a shooter who reloads, or a reloader who shoots.
:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads