JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Trunk gun options

• Cheap PSA 10.5" 5.56 pistol

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Used 12 gauge pump

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
I hope this is the right place for this post. I also know that there are many similar threads to this. Looking for some insight on a potential next purchase.

I'm split minded between
-10.5 inch ar pistol built using this PSA kit (or similar). With an Aero lower. Running irons only.
PSA 10.5" 5.56 NATO 1/7 Nitride Classic Shockwave Pistol Kit, Black - 5165449715

Or

-12 gauge 870/500 or other 18.5/20 inch shotgun. Most likely used to save costs

Either would be my "backup" road trip/camping/trunk gun. I EDC a P229 (9mm) and have an Aero M5E1 (.308) as a primary long arm with a 4.5-14 optic. I'm not unwilling to keep taking the M5, but I'm interested in getting something a little cheaper. I also have a .22 rifle.

I am sorely tempted to buy some kind of AR based pistol just to put a brace on. Since we can't legally carry a long gun loaded in this state. When living in the SW I always had a clunker shotgun for the trunk for "just in case". To do that here is would have to be empty. I do now carry a PCC but it's easier as all that needs doing is slap in a mag. One of the guns that is legally a pistol would be great since that I can carry loaded.

My $.02

A 12 or even 20 gauge shotgun with a couple of barrels (18 and 28) can do ANYTHING. Defend yourself, humanely and effectively take any big game animal in North America, kill birds and other small game, etc. The biggest issue is getting it ready to go. If its in a vehicle, it has to be unloaded.

My 2 cents...
A pump action shotgun in a truck is a powerful, court-defensible choice of weapon that will get the job done at any range you have a right to be shooting. You also won't go deaf shooting it. The AR pistol is the antithesis of this and if you use it "on the streets", the media and DA will portray you as a nut looking for a fight. With the first shot, your situational awareness will be limited by your blown hearing. Camping, it's also a suboptimal choice for bear defense compared to slugs and doubleought buck.

Eh, shooting anything without hearing protecting isn't that fun.

Noise wise the shotgun wins on being less loud.

If your thought is to
Keep something handy and accessible and loaded, in the house either will work. In the car only the pistol will work.

Shotgun, and keep multiple types of loads with ya.
The whole pistol AR and brace is already skirting the law anyhow... no need to tempt fate further.
If you're in your vehicle you'll probably want to use a handgun anyway. Drawing a pistol is a lot easier than reaching back and aiming either of the options you suggested.

Plus everything everyone else has stated.

I voted for the shotgun..as the OP stated "road trip/camping/trunk gun".
Generally speaking most pump action shotguns are looked upon with more "legal favor" than any AR in many states.
I would add that I would stick with a shotgun that only had a magazine capacity of 5 rounds or less , due to the restrictive nature of some states , you may visit on your road trip.
Andy

My "road trip/camping/ trunk ( truck ) gun" is a 1981 vintage Remington Wingmaster in 12 gauge with a 18 inch barrel and a fixed Improved Cylinder choke.
Legal most anywhere...plus it tends to hit where I aim / point it.
I traded for it a few months ago at a local gun show...the price the dealer wanted was $300...
I think that was a good price , considering the condition of the gun.
Many used , but not abused shotguns can be found for the same or less price...

With practice one can load a totally empty tube magazine quickly...but it takes practice...lots of it.
I really wish one could keep the magazine loaded , but the chamber empty , while traveling in a car ....but that is not always legally possible.
Andy
DSC06837.jpg

I voted for AR pistol. Just in case. I had well over 240,000 miles on my Blazer before I ever used that spare tire. It still had the original paper wrapped around it but the tire was cracked and crusty.

The event that you would need your EDC is very remote. Even less likely you would need more fire power. But, if things went from bad to worse, I think the AR pistol would be the better response for a 0-50 yard threat. I whole hearted believe you can justify whatever legal firearm if used in against an actual threat and not a situation you placed yourself in. If a dingo is trying to eat your baby or you're on some backroad with no cell reception and it all goes bad, you should be good.

Last Edited:
Voted AR pistol variant because this little fella tucks away nicely behind my seat...Ordered the factory AR holder thingy from the dealer...;)

Meet the 300 Black Out "Truck Gun"
300 BO.jpg

5.56 ballistics from 10" BBL sucks.
Shotgun is good for home defence, where you don't have to walk/run miles and miles with heavy and bulky gun and ammo in your bug-out bag.

All mentioned backup/road trip/camping/trunk guns I can describe as Survival guns. For this I would suggest lightweight and compact/maneuverable gun like new Kel-Tec CP33.
It's only 24 oz, can-ready, red dot-ready, takes 33 and/or 50 rounds magazines and you can easily carry 1000 rounds of .22Lr among other supplies without slowing yourself down.
IDF and many others use .22Lr guns widely. Load your magazines with hyper velocity rounds for longer distance and CCI Quiet-22 Semi-Auto First Look: CCI Quiet-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR for room cleaning.

However, if you don't trust Bella Twin, the .22 Used to Take the 1953 World Record Grizzly, and More and do not rely on power of .22Lr, then get PCC, like Sub-2000. Depends on what your sidearm is, you may choose the model that takes M&P, Glock, Sig or Beretta magazines in 9x19 or 40SW.

Last Edited:
Honestly, I think both are decent choices. I've carried an AR as a truck gun on trips before, but only where I know it's not a legal issue. I like the AR9 idea myself, plenty of capacity, but maybe a bit underpowered for certain threats. Still, not a bad choice.

The shotgun, with a short (18.5") barrel is a great choice if you're driving through multiple states/jurisdictions and you maybe aren't 100% clear on what you can and can't have in your car. As others have pointed out, you can use it for a very wide variety of threats as well as hunting. Easy operation, you can easily carry multiple types of ammo for various needs.

Since you already have a defense handgun and a defense rifle, I would suggest a shotgun.

If you didn't have a defense rifle then I would suggest that instead, but you got that covered.

For camping/etc., a shotgun would be good. I might even recommend a Shockwave/Tac 14 type of shotgun.

Shotguns are very versatile, but they are limited in range - if it is just for defensive purposes, then that is okay, especially when you also have a handgun.

I considered using my .300blk 10.5" braced pistol as my "truck gun" at one time for the same reason a lot of people in the thread have posted (the ability to keep it loaded since it's a pistol), but after quite a few of my friends who happen to be in law enforcement commented "nice SBR" on range trips I decided that carrying it might be a real hassle if I ever had to explain myself to the police or the courts.

The solution I decided on was to get both me and my wife factory configuration SKS rifles (both norincos) to keep in our trunks, each with a small belt pouch holding 10 Yugoslavian stripper clips for a total of 100 rounds of 148gr soft-point 7.62x39. I figure an SKS, in factory configuration, looks enough like a traditional hunting rifle that I wouldn't draw too much negative attention from the press or the law in the event I had to use it for self defense. The rifles are also our "last resort" guns since both me and my wife have our carry licenses and carry pistols everywhere we go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top