JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you sure that you Love our Firearm Laws?

SB554 the rights crushing bill brought to us by leftist Democrats and cowardly Republicans is now in effect .

Under the law, you need to keep any gun you are not carrying locked up and useless.

You cannot lawfully allow a minor child to have access to a firearm for self defense in the home.

You can be held responsible for any crimes committed with guns that have been stolen from you.

Your rights to allow a minor to use one of your firearms are now extremely restricted and very complicated.

Your liability when you LAWFULLY transfer a firearm is now exponentially higher.

You may no longer carry a firearm with a concealed handgun license in the Portland Airport Terminal, the Capitol Building (YOUR building) and the grounds of any school that chooses to make its property off limits.

The cost of a Concealed Handgun License has doubled.

If all that were not bad enough, we have IP 17 & IP18 on the horizon

View attachment 1038783
A-ha!

Finally, some good literature to read.

I'm going to dig through this. This is the stuff I was looking for. Not a lot of people have been able to give me current laws and anything other than hearsay or just plain uneducated people that know nothing of the actual rules because they don't own any firearms and only regurgitate what they have been told.

Google searches on the way into town led me to think my magazine capacity was of no issue, as well as open carry being allowed. From a Sheriff's webpage no less. There were no dates or legislative reference's on that page either. But I'll be in Section B of SB554 for awhile.

It's nothing new to me though. Having lived on a military base, I know the drill.

Glad to have you aboard!

Oregon gun laws are currently livable but a few things to keep in mind:
  • Within the next few years it's almost a lock that AWB legislation will make the vast majority of semiautomatic rifles and pistols unlawful to purchase. If you have plans for such, prioritize them.
  • Ditto for magazines greater the 10 round capacity
  • The above would affect a Ruger 10/22 w/ BX-25 magazine as much as an AR-15 or AK-47
  • A NICS background check is required for any firearms purchase except for a close relative.
  • Technically you can't borrow a firearm from or loan one to a friend with a 4473 and NICS BGC.
  • We will also likely have storage laws requiring all firearms not in use to be securely locked, which includes a nightstand pistol. If an unsecured firearm is stolen you will be held liable for a crime committed later using that firearm.
  • Some of the above sounds silly, but the legislation has been written by well intendigng people with little or no understanding of the subject. Most Oregon voters are low information types that vote along party lines, and the political majority support and vote for a leftist agenda.
Hope I haven't scared you off, but new residents who are firearm enthusiasts need to understand that in this regard these are the fabled "interesting times".

On another topic... The weather here during the summer and early fall is outstanding. Shortly, however, the rains will start to be prepared for long stretches of battleship gray skies, constant drizzle, moss and banana slugs. Be careful the first time you drive in heavy rain. If your windshield wipers are old replace them now. It's really not bad, but it can take a bit of getting used to coming from a much sunnier Texas.
Do you have some great links for that? Or can steer me in the right place for that?

A-ha!

Finally, some good literature to read.

I'm going to dig through this. This is the stuff I was looking for. Not a lot of people have been able to give me current laws and anything other than hearsay or just plain uneducated people that know nothing of the actual rules because they don't own any firearms and only regurgitate what they have been told.

Google searches on the way into town led me to think my magazine capacity was of no issue, as well as open carry being allowed. From a Sheriff's webpage no less. There were no dates or legislative reference's on that page either. But I'll be in Section B of SB554 for awhile.

It's nothing new to me though. Having lived on a military base, I know the drill.
Not so fast. The cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence, as well as Multnomah County have banned loaded firearms in all public places for those without a Concealed Handgun License.

Welcome aboard :)
From a fifth generation Oregunian, the state 'used' to be great. Good late spring, summer and early fall weather, not to cold in the winter, close to beach and mountains and water for skiing, swimming, etc. But after 40 years of democat governors, it's a political cesspool. Specially after the latest 'storage' legislation that just went into effect (links above).
Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF) is a good place to get political info - they do a lot of work in Salem for the gun community.

Do you have some great links for that? Or can steer me in the right place for that?
First off, I'd MUCH rather be discussing the nuances of different hunting cartridges, lever guns, and how to improve shooting than gun laws, but we can't ignore the threats to our freedom as well as our sport or soon we will be discussing the redacted pictures of firearms we used to be allowed to own. That said...

To get you Started:
OFF (Oregon Firearms Federation) is a state level gun rights advocate and has information about pending legislation.

The links below are mostly to NWFA discussion threads that typically have links to the legislation itself. I strongly urge you to periodically the Firearms Laws and Legal as well as the Firearms Legislation and Activism subforums of NWFA to keep up tp date.

SB 554 - Firearms Storage law in effect as of a few days ago AKA HB 2510

HB2510 - Firearms Storage

Knutson Initiatives

IP 17 AWB & IP 18 Gun registration

Welcome from East Anglia.

By comparison with UK gun laws, Oregon almost makes gun ownership compulsory.
Yeah...we decidedly that over 200 years ago. But you guys really went off the rails.
Btw...you may have heard we sent you tons of our personal arms in 1939-40 when you were preparing to fight them on the beaches, landing grounds, etc. Well ...we want them back!

Yeah...we decidedly that over 200 years ago. But you guys really went off the rails.
Btw...you may have heard we sent you tons of our personal arms in 1939-40 when you were preparing to fight them on the beaches, landing grounds, etc. Well ...we want them back!
Come take EM! :s0140:

I cheated. I used the "search google for image" tool and bingo! :s0102:
Bad form.jpg

Mr leverite -

1. I wasn't around in 1776.

2. None of my ancestors had anything to do with the way that the British government of the time mismanaged the Colonies.

3. None of my ancestors, apart from one great-grandmother, were actually British.

4. The Lend-Lease financial scheme was paid back, in full, a number of years ago. Howsabout asking France and Germany for payback for the billions of dollars they had from your government to rebuild?

Quote - 'Chicken bubblegum Limeys chopped them up and melted them down.' Not quite true - a great number of them are prized collector's pieces and valued for their historical interest, as well as the fun of shooting them.

And BTW, the 'chicken bubblegum limeys' of the day were just 22 miles away from the most-advance military force on the planet, one that had just taken over almost all over Western Europe. Only the RAF of the day prevented it from happening to UK as well. You might be having this conversation, but in German.

But not with me - we are Jews, and we wouldn't be here at all.

So if you are calling the British people of today 'chicken bubblegum limeys' I expect to read an apology from you shortly on behalf of the people of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and among whom I live.

You are, as we say over here, a gnat's fart away from joining a similar toilet-mouthed gobsh*te on my ignored list.

Mr leverite -

1. I wasn't around in 1776.

2. None of my ancestors had anything to do with the way that the British government of the time mismanaged the Colonies.

3. None of my ancestors, apart from one great-grandmother, were actually British.

4. The Lend-Lease financial scheme was paid back, in full, a number of years ago. Howsabout asking France and Germany for payback for the billions of dollars they had from your government to rebuild?

Quote - 'Chicken bubblegum Limeys chopped them up and melted them down.' Not quite true - a great number of them are prized collector's pieces and valued for their historical interest, as well as the fun of shooting them.

And BTW, the 'chicken bubblegum limeys' of the day were just 22 miles away from the most-advance military force on the planet, one that had just taken over almost all over Western Europe. Only the RAF of the day prevented it from happening to UK as well. You might be having this conversation, but in German.

But not with me - we are Jews, and we wouldn't be here at all.

So if you are calling the British people of today 'chicken bubblegum limeys' I expect to read an apology from you shortly on behalf of the people of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and among whom I live.

You are, as we say over here, a gnat's fart away from joining a similar toilet-mouthed gobsh*te on my ignored list.
I'll add that nobody in the US is in a position to talk smack about other countries or their citizens. Even if we were it would be rude at best. Where the UK is concerned it it entirely undeserved, especially on the heels of our ill executed withdrawal from Afghanistan that not only endangered US Citizens but those of Great Britain as well.

It didn't get a lot of press here, but for the first time in history the UK has held a US President in contempt: https://freebeacon.com/latest-news/uk-parliament-holds-biden-in-contempt-for-afghanistan-withdrawal/

US Citizens must surely see that our credibility and clout have been incredibly lessened. Talking like bar room brawlers who can't even back it up makes us fools.

I'll add as well that the Magna Carta is not only a foundational document for the US Constitution but also the model of the peaceful transition of power that has made our country strong and stable for well over 200 years. In other countries the transition from Monarchy to other forms of government required bloodshed and in many of them that pattern still continues.

My apologies to our new friend from Texas for the thread drift, but felt I needed to say something.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top