JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's getting harder and harder to find a good spot to shoot these days, and last Friday I discovered my favorite shooting area has been closed. The abandon gravel pit on DNR land about three miles south of Trout Lake WA just off hwy. 141 and Glenwood Rd. I was up there about a month ago and it was open, so this has happened within the past couple weeks. I can't figure out why since there wasn't any trash to speak of left behind, and there are no houses near the pit. Most people up there police the area when done shooting, but there is always some slobs. A word to the wise, clean up after yourself or we will see no more public land closed to shooting.

Last Edited:
Sad to hear this, I always wonder when I am going to see a big gate across the entrances to my favorite spots. One of these days I will be able to buy my own plot of land and build my own shooting range, doubt I'll make it open to the public but who knows!

It would be worthwhile to check with DNR and see what is up. generally they seem to not care about shooters unless there is a specific problem. Was the road gated, signs posted or?? I have seen DNR used as a handy excuse to close an area when they had nothing to do with it. (Blue Lake in Stevenson)

I wrote an email to the director of the SW regional office to see what was up. The pit has always had a gate across the entrance, but now they have boulders blocking the parking area with DRN "NO SHOOTING" signs posted. When and if I find out what the reason is I will post it here.

Sad to hear this, I always wonder when I am going to see a big gate across the entrances to my favorite spots. One of these days I will be able to buy my own plot of land and build my own shooting range, doubt I'll make it open to the public but who knows!

I have to drive a solid 45 minutes to get to my favorite spot. I'm expecting one day to see a no shooting sign too!
Last week a vehicle was blocking the path going to one of my best spots and I thought they were shooting too so I moved on a reasonable distance and found another safe spot.
I was there over 45 minutes and didn't hear a sound from the others as I was blasting targets. I think they were camping or up to no good of some kind. It would be a strange place to camp with all the Target shooting!
A second vehicle had joined them I noticed as I was leaving.

Sucks to be at the mercy of others with shooting areas.
If it starts taking me over an hour to get to a new spot I might just hang it up until I'm able to move.

UPDATE ON THE KILOWATT PIT CLOSURE......I got a call from Al Lawson, the director of the SW regional district today. He told me there was a couple reasons they closed the "kilowatt" pit. One was the neighbors nearest the pit didn't like people shooting Tannerite, and petitioned the county and DNR to close the pit to shooting, and second, they are in the process of leasing the pit to a construction company and opening it back up to produce gravel. I can see the lease thing.

I make itxa point to fill a garbage bag before I leave from where we go but everytime I go there we see tires and a tv set cans bottles and so on what slobs truly slobs

It's getting harder and harder to find a good spot to shoot these days, and last Friday I discovered my favorite shooting area has been closed. The abandon gravel pit on DNR land about three miles south of Trout Lake WA just off hwy. 141 and Glenwood Rd. I was up there about a month ago and it was open, so this has happened within the past couple weeks. I can't figure out why since there wasn't any trash to speak of left behind, and there are no houses near the pit. Most people up there police the area when done shooting, but there is always some slobs. A word to the wise, clean up after yourself or we will see no more public land closed to shooting.
I was just in a local gun store this past week in Vancouver and hear that the pit is open again. Guess they did some work on it.

For the record, there is no right of public use or access to State lands in Washington. If they don't want you there, they can gate it off.

Federal lands do have the public access rights, they have to go through a lot of hoops to close parts of it off. The State can just do whatever they want and don't have to answer to anybody.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top