Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Another senseless gun tragedy, 15yr old dies in accidental shooting

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by clearconscience, Jun 20, 2016.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

2. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

I have my kids on rifles only, for now. Plus when they shoot, we have 1 gun and 1 shooter only. Me being at arms length. Overly cautious? Maybe, but don't care.

3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How sad and unfortunate.

I had my 12yo nephew out shooting on Saturday. His first time with guns. I had him watch 2 videos on gun safety (which he reviewed twice) before we went to the range. The first 30 minutes or so were reviews of gun safety protocols. When it was time to shoot (rifles and pistols), I was right there, immediately beside him or just behind him, within easy reach to grab a barrel that may swing the wrong way, etc. My focus during the time he was shooting was 100% on him. I caught him a few times about to swing the barrel past a 'safety' point, so my hand went immediately to the gun with immediate, but kind, correction of the error that was about to occur. After several hours, he was already being more mindful of his barrel position. I only caught him once or twice about to put his finger on the trigger before he was on target, we caught those too. This will need to be built upon with each subsequent trip to go shooting, whether it be with me, or with others.

He helped load magazines, helped load the guns and charge them. Where he was unable to do something, I did it - such as pulling back the bolt on the Ruger MK III pistol - it's something he's strong enough to do, but needs more practice before he's comfortable on his own. His aim/marksmanship, was excellent for a beginner.

Safety is a conscious decision. I've seen seasoned shooters violate basic safety steps, I've done it myself a few times. I have to constantly remind myself, and we should be constantly reminding each other. A 'culture' of safety can be, must be taught. I comes with time and experience.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

That is the best way to do things! My dad would hand us ONE round at a time, then make sure every thing was clear before HE took the safety off!

clearconscience and boogerhook like this.
  5. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

I also let them shoot air soft pistols, same safety protocols, and it will tell me when they are ready for hand guns.

clearconscience, albin25 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

We did the same with low power BB guns!

boogerhook and clearconscience like this.
  7. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

You guys are lucky. Mom was antigun, thus nothing gun related growing up.

That aside, was the father paying attention? Sounds like this could have been prevented. Still a tragedy nonetheless.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Was JUST at the range with a buddy and his son.

Did just what I always do. Right beside and absolutely ready at all times to control muzzle if needed. Semi autos are one round at a time until proper handling is shown and familiar with weapon.

nwwoodsman likes this.
  9. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

A good idea is go through gun safety over and over months if not years before taken them to the range.

If they can't keep attention about safety they aren't ready to handle a firearm.
    Starting off with something like airsoft is good. You can teach them safety and see if they are paying attention.
    And use those rules with toys.

Another good lesson I had was starting paintball. After getting shot with a paintball gun and knowing a real gun it so much worse makes you really pay attention.

Either way, you have to be overly cautious and vigilant. Just keep in your head an accident WILL happen.

Man this breaks my heart everytime I see it.

10. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

always practice gun safety. no matter what. cannot be negligent because this can happen anytime anyone goes shooting. sad story.

11. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Yep this brings back memories of (not too long ago) when my daughter was getting interested in shooting and then wanting to get together with her friends (some boys who grew up with guns) but she always wanted me to take them out shooting (using DADS ammo!) and I would always take control and set the standard immediately - giving a SAFETY briefing, ensuring those who were not as experienced got extra help - Basically I used Military style 'tactics' to keep control of the group.

12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just another sad day of wasted, young, life.:(

13. pietro beretta

pietro beretta Spokane, WA Active Member 2016 Volunteer

I have already had a run in with a moron out here in Idaho. Apparently he decided it would be funny to shoot between the legs of his buddy to scare the bubblegum out of him.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

His buddy ought to butt-stroke his teeth out for that one... just to scare the bubblegum out of him. o_O

clearconscience and Sgt Nambu like this.
  15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Now you know, WHY, thays toothless hillbillys!;)

Ura-Ki and Stomper like this.
  16. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

How in the world does a pistol muzzle get to be pointing back at the person reloading the piece?
    This makes no sense to me.

Ura-Ki and clearconscience like this.
  17. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Even a chimp will hold a banana backwards once in a while, and they're supposedly smarter than we are... according to some. :rolleyes:

Ura-Ki and clearconscience like this.