JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, if I understand everything; I am able to make an SBR in Washington effective June, 9th, 2016

I plan on making an SBR after I receive my tax stamp.

I was reviewing form 1, my question is as follows: What identifying marks do I need to get engraved on the rifle, if any. I have been told multiple things from different sources.

• I need to engrave a (second) serial number on the lower.
  • I need to engrave a (second) serial number, with caliber information on the lower.
  • I need to engrave a (second) serial number, with state and county engraved on the lower.
  • I dont need to engrave anything and it can be left as is.

Or am I totally wrong and we still cant build SBRs in Washington?

I am not an expert on the matter so hopefully someone who knows more shows up and either confirms or refutes what I say

You will need to engrave either your or your trusts name as well as your address on the lower because you are the "manufacture" of the SBR when doing a form 1

You do not need a new serial number, The one on the lower is all that is required. You don't need a caliber designation either
So yes, After the new wording is recognized the ATF should grant you a form 1 SBR stamp. After you get the stamp you can build your SBR but not until. You dont need to have the lower engraved until after you get approval but you need to have it engraved prior to assembling the parts.

IM is correct.

What you need to engrave should look like this:

Your Name (or name of the Trust)
City, Washington

And that's all. Everything else is already engraved on the lower. Just use the same serial number.

IM is correct.

What you need to engrave should look like this:

Your Name (or name of the Trust)
City, Washington

And that's all. Everything else is already engraved on the lower. Just use the same serial number.

Slight amendment to this...
A Caliber must be engraved as well. If you have a lower with "Multi" the firearm needs to have a caliber somewhere on it. Most barrels are engraved with the caliber so you may not need to even worry about it.

When you fill out the form 1 line that asks for the overall length, make sure you figure the shoulder stock in it's extended position, not completely closed like I did.

When you fill out the form 1 line that asks for the overall length, make sure you figure the shoulder stock in it's extended position, not completely closed like I did.

Do you think they really are that sticky? What I was told (which I am no means saying is correct) is that as long as the SBR can be returned to the condition that is stated on the stamp form that the state it is currently in is not so important (as in you could put another upper or stock on it and run it that way and as long as you retain the original parts and can restore it to that you wont have a problem)

Most barrels are engraved with the caliber so you may not need to even worry about it.
The barrel is not a part of the tax-stamped lower. If, indeed, "Multi" isn't good enough, then a caliber marking on the barrel won't be, either. Might as well add "5.56x45mm" to your lower. But if you have any plans to throw on a 9mm or 300BLK upper, I think you need to send a special letter to the ATF informing them that your gun may be found configured in calibers other than the original.

What the ATF want on the form 1, line (F) is overall length.
That means an adjustable stock must be fully extended for a correct measurement.

The barrel is not a part of the tax-stamped lower. If, indeed, "Multi" isn't good enough, then a caliber marking on the barrel won't be, either. Might as well add "5.56x45mm" to your lower. But if you have any plans to throw on a 9mm or 300BLK upper, I think you need to send a special letter to the ATF informing them that your gun may be found configured in calibers other than the original.

You can engrave the caliber on the barrel.

From the NFA Handbook:

"The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements."
@pietro beretta - Go to the ATF's website and look at the NFA Handbook (specifically Chapter 6 linked above) for the definitive answer to all your questions.

One thing that you might need to consider is what constitutes engraving. I know there are depth requirements when you put your name on the receiver. I also know a lot of the PSA stuff I have they do some sort of etch on the barrel that is not actual engraving. I don't know how big of stink the ATF would make but I am sure the PSA barrel etch does not meet the ATF requirements for engraving

One thing that you might need to consider is what constitutes engraving. I know there are depth requirements when you put your name on the receiver. I also know a lot of the PSA stuff I have they do some sort of etch on the barrel that is not actual engraving. I don't know how big of stink the ATF would make but I am sure the PSA barrel etch does not meet the ATF requirements for engraving

The short answer is that the engravings must have a depth of at least .003" and a height of at least 1/16". Reference NFA Handbook chapter 7, specifically Section 7.4

"The requirement that the marking be "conspicuously" placed on the firearm means that the marking must be wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch."​

where and how does one get the form(s) for this? Is this form the same as for suppressors? Can more then one "transaction" be done on this form? Forgive me, This is new territory for me. Also, I am told that for one suppressor the cost is $200:00 and for multi suppressors done with in one year it is $500:00 no matter how many are done, Is this correct? How much does the SBR part of this process cost?

Ive never heard that before. As far as I know (I have 8 suppressors) you have to spend 200.00 for each NFA issue. So, for example, if it were allowed in Washington State, you could have a suppressed, short barreled fully automatic AR and you'd have to spend 600.00 for those three issues.

Ive never heard that before. As far as I know (I have 8 suppressors) you have to spend 200.00 for each NFA issue. So, for example, if it were allowed in Washington State, you could have a suppressed, short barreled fully automatic AR and you'd have to spend 600.00 for those three issues.
Negative. That would be a 2 stamp gun. Machine guns are a special case and trump all. Meaning if you have a machine gun, you can have any length barrel on it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top