JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do show guns, usually to folks that aren't very familiar with them and want to see what they're like. Before I pull a gun out, I review the rules of gun safety with whoever I'm talking to. This is normally done in a small group at most - 2-3 people, so I can keep an eye on things. I take out one gun at a time, confirm it's unloaded and show that much to those that I'm showing it to. When it's time to put it in their hands, I make sure to move the person handling it off away from the group and facing away from them, and then I never leave their side so I can intervene if they start to move in any way that is unsafe.

In the last year, I've had the chance to share guns with several folks that traditionally were anti-gun or had no experience with guns - all said it was a positive experience and helped them get over their fear and misunderstanding about them. For that reason, I'll continue to show/share my guns, but it will always and only be under my rules and my control.

I've had one time where a ND could have happened, I handed a pistol to a friend and told him "The chamber is empty BUT the mag is loaded.'' As he is looking at it his finger is off the trigger but he racks the slide... I immediately informed him to stop because he just chambered a round, I unloaded the gun and took out the mag and realized that day that never hand a weapon and ammo to anyone when looking at a weapon.
Later it dawned on me that had he fired a round not only would a $2K tv been destroyed but I would have had to call it in to local pd and take the heat. It was my gun and I handed it off with live rounds meaning it was my responsibility to maintain saftey. I've had one person teach me very basic saftey when I was 14 and that was it, every thing else I learned from experience or from professionals and moments like I described reinforce that the learning side of life never ends. Stay safe everyone.

I've had one time where a ND could have happened, I handed a pistol to a friend and told him "The chamber is empty BUT the mag is loaded.'' As he is looking at it his finger is off the trigger but he racks the slide... I immediately informed him to stop because he just chambered a round, I unloaded the gun and took out the mag and realized that day that never hand a weapon and ammo to anyone when looking at a weapon.
Later it dawned on me that had he fired a round not only would a $2K tv been destroyed but I would have had to call it in to local pd and take the heat. It was my gun and I handed it off with live rounds meaning it was my responsibility to maintain saftey. I've had one person teach me very basic saftey when I was 14 and that was it, every thing else I learned from experience or from professionals and moments like I described reinforce that the learning side of life never ends. Stay safe everyone.

Ya know, that's 1 of the first things I tell new shooters when I'm working with them. If at any time I say the word STOP, immediately freeze. It works very well...

The GREATEST FIREARM SALESFOLKS are still out there.
Ordinary decent citizens that would not ordinairly buy a gun, are buying guns.
Those that know stuff, please help those that don't, and also help them that think they know, but don't.
In the meantime, Murphy and Darwin will be out and about...

My son-in-law just bought an AR. Wants to know the deep truths. Hope we can do this before Murph and Darwin do theirs.

Only firearms in my house that are kept loaded are those with the job of being used for self defense. And those are never shown to anyone. None of the firearms in my collection are ever stored in the house Heck I don't even transport a loaded rifle while hunting (way to easy to load once away from the vehicle.

No muzzle sweeps ever, double check the chamber, trust no one. I have had gunshop sales people comment on me double checking the chamber and not sweeping people. It happens way to often from what they've told me and ive witnessed. Edjumication tis bedder dan ded.

Firearms and alcohol, or drugs at parties is a bad bad mix.

Last Edited:
Stupid! F-ing stupid!!! Completely avoidable. I can't tell you how many times in the last 8 (almost) years I've been a member here that I've commented on incidences like these. It's really really sad and seriously piszes me off. I can sit here and say this bubblegum till I'm blue in the face.....KEEP YOUR bubblegumING FINGER OFF THE MOTHERbubblegumING TRIGGER!!!!

When I'm out "shooting" with new people or people I've never shot with before, I don't shoot, I make sure no one GETS shot... I'm not nice about it either. I MAKE them understand that this ain't no bubbleguming game. I don't wanna get shot. I'm not a dik (but I am), I just use harsh words and try to get it ingrained into their heads that were not sitting here roasting marshmallows. I'll usually pull em aside and talk to em calmly and explain everything. I'll give em examples like the aforementioned....

I've posted this before but I'll post the story again as an example. My youngest bro (he was 17 at the time, 30 now) went to a party. Some dipbubblegum there was passing around a Glock. My bro (which the same tactics had been used on him by us and my dad) got a hold of the gun. He knew what to do. He dropped the mag, racked the slide (which btw ejected a round) and proceed to disassemble the gun. Gave it back to the owner in parts much to his dismay. Him and his friends left. When they came back and entered the house, the gun was being played with again. His buddy, a couple steps in front of my bro, got a hold of it. Gun went to the head and the trigger was pulled.....Ended his life in front of everyone....kid was only 17 or 18....

Sigh.....this REALLY irritates me....
This is a late reply but do you know if the case was prosecuted in Multnomah County? My dad prosecuted a case very similar when he was still a young lawyer (7 years one experience). He is 60 now.

Don't pull your guns out for "show and tell" at parties. I don't care if it's the Chinese New Year. That is like texting and driving: too many distractions, too much going on, too easy to lose track of the muzzle. Instead, consider inviting some girls, maybe pulling out the Jenga, and a fifth of Old Grand-Dad.

They ever determine exactly how he was shot? I get the fact that it was being loaded but that is a blanket statement.

I personally think that it happened when the magazine was slapped up; which caused the bcg to slam forward and fire a round.

Last Edited:
There's probably more to this story. Probably the guy was showing off and accidentally depressed the trigger.

Whatever the case, it's clear that Commandments 1, 4, and 7 were not being followed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top