JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks.
I put them on display at museums , rendezvous , shooting events , history fairs etc....
Its a hands on display...as in I will hand you a firearm or item , so we can discuss it.
Nice to talk history with an item that might have been there...or at least is from the time period.

When I do a "Plains Rifle" display a Winchester Model 94 is often a part of it....
Kinda neat to have rifles that span from the flintlock onward.
Andy
Andy, are they "Kentucky" rifles or are they "Pennsylvania" rifles?

Andy, are they "Kentucky" rifles or are they "Pennsylvania" rifles?
Well now....
In popular wordage....
"Kentucky Rifle " is one of the names that they are know as .
This name / term originates from the song : The Hunters of Kentucky circa 1820's

In actuality most of the rifles pictures with a full stock are what are called American Long Rifles
A Long Rifle made in Pennsylvania , say in 1770 could be called a Pennsylvania Rifle , as that was where it was made....or a Long Rifle.

One made in Maryland in 1770 , which even though it bears a superficial resemblance to the one from Pennsylvania , will be quite different in styling and decoration...and would known as a Maryland Rifle.
( Or Long Rifle )
Also many counties within the states where these rifles were made , have noticeable differences...
As well as each maker often had a style all his own.
Pennsylvania and Virginia are where the first American Long Rifles were made.

Long Rifles date from the late 1760's to around the 1900's
The "Heyday" being from the 1770's - 1830's
Also....not every Long Rifle was made strictly by hand , one at a time...Many makers like Dickertt , Leman , Henry and others , had an assembly line of workers making and assembling rifles.

Most of the rifles pictured there with a half stock are "Plains Rifles".
Plains Rifles , were rifles meant to be used on the American plains and mountain areas...
These rifles mostly date from the late 1820's to 1880's. or so.

Now to further muddy the waters
I mostly have what is known as "Trade Rifles and Trade Guns"
These were firearms built for use during the fur trade...by traders , trappers , hunters , and tribes.

Back in the days when any of the above , were the only rifles....they were called "rifles"....:D

I would suggest you see my postings in the "Black Powder Discussion" section for more info and pictures.
"Firearms of the Fur trade" , "Plains Rifles" , "Leman Trade Rifle" , "St. Louis Sporting Rifle"
Are some "good ones" to start with

To the OP ( @orygun .....sorry for the long ramble and thread drift )
Andy

Well now....
In popular wordage....
"Kentucky Rifle " is one of the names that they are know as .
This name / term originates from the song : The Hunters of Kentucky circa 1820's

In actuality most of the rifles pictures with a full stock are what are called American Long Rifles
A Long Rifle made in Pennsylvania , say in 1770 could be called a Pennsylvania Rifle , as that was where it was made....or a Long Rifle.

One made in Maryland in 1770 , which even though it bears a superficial resemblance to the one from Pennsylvania , will be quite different in styling and decoration...and would known as a Maryland Rifle.
( Or Long Rifle )
Also many counties within the states where these rifles were made , have noticeable differences...
As well as each maker often had a style all his own.
Pennsylvania and Virginia are where the first American Long Rifles were made.

Long Rifles date from the late 1760's to around the 1900's
The "Heyday" being from the 1770's - 1830's
Also....not every Long Rifle was made strictly by hand , one at a time...Many makers like Dickertt , Leman , Henry and others , had an assembly line of workers making and assembling rifles.

Most of the rifles pictured there with a half stock are "Plains Rifles".
Plains Rifles , were rifles meant to be used on the American plains and mountain areas...
These rifles mostly date from the late 1820's to 1880's. or so.

Now to further muddy the waters
I mostly have what is know as "Trade Rifles and Trade Guns"
These were firearms built for use during the fur trade...by traders , trappers , hunters , and tribes.

Back in the days when any of the above , were the only rifles....they were called "rifles"....:D

I would suggest you see my postings in the "Black Powder Discussion" section for more info and pictures.
"Firearms of the Fur trade" , "Plains Rifles" , "Leman Trade Rifle" , "St. Louis Sporting Rifle"
Are some "good ones" to start with

To the OP ( @orygun .....sorry for the long ramble and thread drift )
Andy
Well sir! Now it's my turn! My ancestors arrived in the colonies in 1604-1605. I had 12 ancestors that fought in the American Revolution. Most of my family settled on land in what later came to be known as Pennsylvania. Many of them are still there on a land grant eventually given by William Penn. Several of my ancestors were gunsmiths, blacksmiths and "smiths" of other sorts. Some of the family eventually made their way down the Cumberland trail to what is today, Kentucky. The family legend is that their full-stocked, smaller calibers i.e. 36 cal, were called Pennsylvania Rifles and those that were made in larger calibers, in Kentucky, were referred to as "Kentucky " rifles.
In one of my many iterations, I negotiated land deals with a few of the Northern Plains Indians, i.e. Lakota, Crow and Blackfeet. I have seen several "trade guns" as well as guns taken from settlers and the Army. They were decorated in a variety of ways and had been handed down through the generations. I've been lead to understand that the Indians were also instructed in how to make black powder using urine to acquire nitrate. I lived in Montana for about 10 years and really enjoyed the Crow Fair and other Native activities. Thanks for all the information that you've provided to me and the others that will read this discussion. I doubt seriously that there would be an America if it weren't for firearms.

Two months ago I brought home a Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester to pretty up some and turn into my primary hunting rifle. It's finished.

This month I turned my attention towards a rifle that's been in the family for an unknown number of years. I first learned about it in 1969 when Dad brought it and the rest of Grandpa's guns home after Grandpa passed away. Dad knew about the other few guns Gramps had, but nothing about the 1894. What we did know was it's life hadn't been easy. The stock was beat and there were two filled dovetails in the barrel, not counting the original one holding the original rear sight. The front sight blade was a home made one with a brass tip that didn't fit snugly and could be rotated up or down over 1/16' of an inch. The lever's bent some to the left. There was almost no finish.
Still, it's the gun that both of my sisters and I first hunted with. (no kills, though)
When I was in high school I decided to restore it. I removed what finish was left and used Birchwood-Casey browning to get the color I wanted. I sanded the bubblegum out of the stock to try and remove the gouges. I sanded the buttplate and barrel bands, then clear coated them so they were shiny. At least I used linseed oil on the stock after I carved it away.

Poor rifle.:(

I probably haven't shot it since the 90's. One of my nephews used it for elk season (no kill) 8 years ago and that's the only time it's been shot since I last did. Dad didn't pack it well when he threw it in the cargo compartment of the trailer for that trip and it picked up a few bruises. I came to me to stay after Dad passed away 4 year ago.
On a fluke I found a Marbles front sight blade (Ivory insert) for it on ebay. That started the ball rolling.

I ripped this sucker apart for probably the first time. It was full of junk and gunk. The bore looked like a rusty pipe. I started scrubbing. I probably ran 300 patches thru the bore, only to find out there isn't any rifling at the muzzle. Oh, well. I cleaned everything up, oiled it up and reassembled. Where the buttplate was overhanging the wood I sanded it down to fit. I removed the "finish" on the barrel bands and buttplate. I'll cold blue them and try to make them look aged once the solution shows up from Brownell's.
I didn't take a Before pic, but at this point the After pic is similar!

View attachment 686803 View attachment 686804 View attachment 686805 View attachment 686806 View attachment 686807 View attachment 686808

Very nice!

The family legend is that their full-stocked, smaller calibers i.e. 36 cal, were called Pennsylvania Rifles and those that were made in larger calibers, in Kentucky, were referred to as "Kentucky " rifles.
Maybe....
But...most Long Rifles of the time period were in the .40ish to 50ish range.
The average being .47 caliber.
The .31 - .36 calibers were indeed popular....but later like in the 1830's onward.
( As a general rule )
A Pennsylvania rifle was one made in Pennsylvania....and was usually just called a rifle...in period accounts , ledgers , narratives and the like.

I've been lead to understand that the Indians were also instructed in how to make black powder using urine to acquire nitrate
Again maybe...
But....
No fur trader in his right mind would do this....as he was interested in selling or trading powder to the tribes.
Having them make their own , would not make him a profit...and the fur trade was all about profit.
Plus that is a lot work ....when the fella can just trade a hide or robe for some powder and ball.
And powder was often "gifted" to tribes....so it was pretty commonly found or bartered or given way.

Sorry for my difference of opinion with what is your family lore....
My experiences have shown me a different answer.
Again sorry for the thread drift OP
Andy

Saturday evening.
20201024_171614.jpg

The story behind the above pic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR