JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Two months ago I brought home a Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester to pretty up some and turn into my primary hunting rifle. It's finished.

This month I turned my attention towards a rifle that's been in the family for an unknown number of years. I first learned about it in 1969 when Dad brought it and the rest of Grandpa's guns home after Grandpa passed away. Dad knew about the other few guns Gramps had, but nothing about the 1894. What we did know was it's life hadn't been easy. The stock was beat and there were two filled dovetails in the barrel, not counting the original one holding the original rear sight. The front sight blade was a home made one with a brass tip that didn't fit snugly and could be rotated up or down over 1/16' of an inch. The lever's bent some to the left. There was almost no finish.
Still, it's the gun that both of my sisters and I first hunted with. (no kills, though)
When I was in high school I decided to restore it. I removed what finish was left and used Birchwood-Casey browning to get the color I wanted. I sanded the bubblegum out of the stock to try and remove the gouges. I sanded the buttplate and barrel bands, then clear coated them so they were shiny. At least I used linseed oil on the stock after I carved it away.

Poor rifle.:(

I probably haven't shot it since the 90's. One of my nephews used it for elk season (no kill) 8 years ago and that's the only time it's been shot since I last did. Dad didn't pack it well when he threw it in the cargo compartment of the trailer for that trip and it picked up a few bruises. I came to me to stay after Dad passed away 4 year ago.
On a fluke I found a Marbles front sight blade (Ivory insert) for it on ebay. That started the ball rolling.

I ripped this sucker apart for probably the first time. It was full of junk and gunk. The bore looked like a rusty pipe. I started scrubbing. I probably ran 300 patches thru the bore, only to find out there isn't any rifling at the muzzle. Oh, well. I cleaned everything up, oiled it up and reassembled. Where the buttplate was overhanging the wood I sanded it down to fit. I removed the "finish" on the barrel bands and buttplate. I'll cold blue them and try to make them look aged once the solution shows up from Brownell's.
I didn't take a Before pic, but at this point the After pic is similar!

20200418_200600.jpg 20200418_200810.jpg 20200418_200854.jpg 20200419_115930.jpg 20200419_133248.jpg 20200420_175923.jpg

Last Edited:
Without formal sighting in and with my grandson spotting, I was able to connect with the gong at 100 yards! Surprised the livin crap outta me. :s0073:The three little marks are from the 30-30. The bigger divots, like the one with the finger in it, 243.
Gong 1.jpg Gong 2.jpg

Nice! A worthy cause even without being a family heirloom. There is just something about a rifle that has history.
After careful consideration I realized this rifle has some amazing history. It's the rifle carried deer hunting by both of my older sisters. These days the oldest one is so California brainwashed even the sight of a gun makes her uneasy. I, however, have the proof that she wasn't always that way.

The daily life of the average rifle in SW Africa was pretty hard, to say the least. It was picked up, put in a scabbard - or not - and walked around the veldt by somebody who may or may not have been the owner. It was cared for like any piece of machinery, that is to say, maintained to make sure it worked, and that was it. It is very doubtful that it was 'loved and cherished' in the way that most people would understand these days. My own 1912 Mauser Model B, identical in every way to the same gun made by Rigby at that time, was taken to SE Africa in 1913, the year before WW1 started. It was intended to be the 'pot gun' ,providing meat for the workers on the farm where they, and the farmers, lived until the late eighties.

And this it did - the thin bluing on the barrel shows that it was carried, mostly, over the shoulder by holding onto the barrel. It never had a sling. To save losing expensive brass, the extractor was removed, but kept - I have it and installed it after the gun became mine in 1990. I still have an original box of its ammunition -
1588341587964.png
The farming family, driven off their land by Robert Mugabe, had split up - half had gone to Tanzania and the rest came back to England, bringing their guns with them. Bought at an auction in Liverpool in 1990 for £120 - at that time a little over $220, it has been my bloon-shooter of choice since then - the 7x75 being deemed adequate for such game. A few years back, my Tanzanian shooting pal, seen in the Youtube movie - confirmed that a fellow school pal in Harare was a family member, and that he had learnt to shoot with it. Pretty cool, huh?

1588340865330.png
That fine-looking American oak ammunition box and another, for .308Win, was made for me by my good old pal Rick Wagner, of Plano Texas, who passed away last year. He was a real inspiration for me to do things with shooting and messing around with guns that, without his give-it-a-try attitude, I just would not have tried.

I miss him greatly.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews