Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Another refinishing question - Colt 1903

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by FAL, Apr 13, 2010.

1. FAL

FAL Salem Active Member

There comes a point when the decision to refinish or not really does not serve to only please the owner, but when it is beneficial to the gun's good.

See my Colt 1903 hammerless below. It's got a very experienced look to it, has a LOT of patina and some light pitting. The argument could be made that refinishing would actually do this gun good.

But I'd hate to wreck that look that has taken 102 years to make! Thoughts?

P4142013.jpg
    P4142014.jpg

2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Save your money until you can afford to have it fully restored.
    Shoot it for now and when the time comes send it to this guy. That will make it a great family heirloom.

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/store.asp?pid=20445

I hate to keep pimping this guy so hard, but I've seen his work in person and it is the best refinishing/restoration in the country. There are guys locally that can do passable jobs, but none are close to the work coming out of Turnbull's shop.

3. weezil_boi

weezil_boi Sacramento-soon = Graham New Member

brass wool and oil. no way Id ever refinish that. thats just me.

4. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

I did one about 8 years ago....had it "Z" coated....( dunno if the guy that does it is even still around, kinda like Duracoat )

1903.jpg

I will say it was in FAR worse shape than yours, it had sat in a closet so long that moisture had etched the slide badly on the right side and captet fibers were embedded in the slide....

Yours, I would have hot blued. I really don't think it would hurt the value at this point.

1903.jpg

5. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I have one exactly like yours, and it was in about the same condition, broken grip and all. I had it hot blued and added some antique ivory grips. It's now a nice looking and performing little gun. (Of course I've saved the old grips.)

I thought about selling it once, and the dealer had to ask if it had been reblued, but when I said yes he said he wasn't interested. Since I didn't really want to part with it I decided I'd just keep it. I like it. It's a nice little CCW.

P4142013.jpg

P4142014.jpg