JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...to be prepared.

Got a frantic call from my brother this morning and he asked me to bring one of my guns over. He always gave me crap for having so many guns, so I asked why and he told me someone broke into his car and into his house while he, his wife and two little girls slept upstairs.

Nobody got hurt, but easily could have. I gave him 4 or 5 choices and he chose my .357 mag just because there's not much to learn...point and shoot! Even his wife who despises guns was wanting the gun in the house now.

He asked me to go gun shopping with him this weekend.

My point is, ya just never know. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

It is interesting that so many folks that don't like guns and support the anti-gun agenda do a 180 turn when they get into a situation where they need to protect themselves.

I see the common argument about types of guns and calibers following this thread.

Its the training that makes the difference and being familiar with the gun at hand that is critical in a defensive situation. I would feel well protected with my Ruger 22 auto since I am confident that I can and would put all ten rounds into a very small target area.

So for a homeowner to have a 380, 38 special or 357 mag at hand they are well protected if they can shoot their weapon and are prepared to use it. Today's 380 and 38 special defensive ammo is not the underpowered or penetrating stuff of 30 years ago.

I just added a push button code door lock on our bedroom door. Give yourself time and options to access your defensive tools whether they be firearms, edged weapons, chemical, or impact. You have a wide range of options but planning is your best choice.

I respectfully disagree.

I have owned handguns for 20 years, and I still would not choose a 1911.

Its a great gun, but under the effects of stress and adrenaline it is all too easy to either (a) forget to take the safety off or (b) forget to put it back on again, which results in a cocked weapon being waved around by someone who is not operating at 100% mental efficiency.

IMHO, only a highly trained and experienced individual...for whom the process of activating and deactivating the safety is automatic... should rely on a 1911 for self-defense. The 1911 is far less forgiving of human error than a revolver.

As far as recoil goes, a full-sized revolver with decent grips should do an adequate job of taming the recoil of Magnum loads. And there is nothing wrong with a decent .38+p JHP either.

I agree 100 percent.
A 1911 and the like is a gun for someone who shoots a lot. A wheel gun is the way to go for someone who doesn't spend a lot of time shooting. In a pressure situation a gun can be a liability in the hands of someone who has to think about the gun, in my opinion anyway.

I'm sure that you've thought about this but get your brother out shooting as much as you can. In a pressure situation there is no substitute for having fired the gun that is in your hands enough that you don't even think about the gun and leave your mind clear to address the threat.
I firmly believe that for a gun to be a reliable safeguard, it needs to be a lifestyle choice where you immerse your self in the shooting sport aspect enough to have the comfort level that it takes to handle a gun under pressure and not be thinking about the gun instead of thinking of keeping as much tactical advantage as you can.
You might even think of a long gun in a short easy to handle semi auto or lever gun configuration for home. I keep my 30-30 ready to go at home in addition to the shotgun and a couple of handguns. I think that if someone was in the house I would grab the 30-30 first. It's short enough to handle well indoors, aims well, and will stop anyone.
The best home defense gun will vary from one situation to another of course, and in my house the only tight area is coming down the stairs from my bedroom. The rest of the house is larger rooms that flow from one to another.

As for the limits of the wheel gun, and specifically the 357. You can practice with 38 if you are that recoil sensitive and when the crud hits the fan you will not notice the recoil. Think about hunting. When is the last time that you noticed the recoil of a gun when you were shooting at an animal? Shooting a deer, elk or bear is nothing compared to defending your life when it comes to keeping you mind off of recoil.
The extra rounds that an automatic holds is another argument that people use against a wheel gun. I always say that if there are more than six of them I need another plan anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I love the 1911 but it is only reliable to defend yourself in the hands of someone who shoots it a lot. Even then the most reliable gun in the world is a single shot. A revolver is pretty close to having five or six single shots in one. There are no jams or miss feeds. If it doesn't go bang you just pull the hammer again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top