JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I wanted to relate a quick story regarding a camping trip last weekend.

A buddy and I were camping at aUSFS campground on the southern Oregon Coast Friday night. We were occupying one campsite with two cars and a boat on a trailer hitched to my car. We were both sleeping in our respective cars; I had my awesome Lab Tiller with me in my car.

At around 3:30 Tiller woke up and started barking, itself not an unusual event while camping (raccoons, deer, etc). I sat up to see a flashlight bouncing around our campsite. I put on some shoes and grabbed my gun, then exited the car in time to see pickup taillights bouncing their way out of the campground.

No one was hurt, no shots were fired, the perp wasn't even visualized. I have to give Tiller credit for the alert. I certainly felt comforted knowing I had a firearm in my pocket and an M1 Carbine in the car when I got out. Thankfully he/she left without confrontation.

We were one of two occupied campsites. The other campsite was occupied by two hikers and their dog (no car) so it likely wasn't them. We had some of our coolers and campstoves out with the pop-up shelter folded down to avoid wind damage. With no tents set up I'm sure the campsite appeared as though we were using it for vehicle storage without actually camping.

Just a quick story to show that it pays to be prepared (and to have a good watchdog).

Greg

Last Edited:
So say you did catch them stealing your stuff and you drew down on them and they just kept stealing your stuff. What would you have done?

just stealing stuff isn't enough to use deadly force, at least not in WA.

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

just stealing stuff isn't enough to use deadly force, at least not in WA.

Yeah, what he said. Stealing stuff from a campsite doesn't justify deadly force. I'd probably verbally abuse him loudly and vehemently. I have lots of experience dealing with tweekers and criminals and am generally able to coerce them into doing what I want. Additionally, I likely wouldn't have drawn down on him unless I felt my life was threatened. Just rummaging through a campsite (by itself) doesn't justify brandishing a weapon. That's just me though, your results may vary.

Greg

death may not be necessary, but a stern beating and citizens arrest would suffice.i dont have the temperament for a live and let live situation. you steal my things, scare my family, bad things will happen.i work hard for the things i have and would expect people to have the same respect as i do. but that isnt the case with this world.glad you had a weapon though. what a relief.and cuddo's for the pup. i have a yellow lab who's very alert as well.lets me now when anything is going down.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top