JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This took me by surprise:

<broken link removed>

Most of us train to deal with fairly large targets. Other people, or maybe a lone bear or cougar.

A pack of 25+ small, fast targets is not a typical threat. Hopefully we never see these big packs in the NW.

Two coyotes put the scare on some little girls in Lake Oswego a ways back and in Alameda California, about eveybody gets mauled by the rabid racoons on a daily basis.
Jeez, if it's not the beheadings, it's something else. going to the dogs in a handbasket is the way I see it

I lived in Page Arizona, ostensibly part of the Navajo reservation. When you traveled south to Flagstaff, there were a few towns (Bitter Springs, The Gap) which were tribe towns, and you can probably imagine the state of them. However, packs of dogs, wild and otherwise, were a pretty common thing to have to stop for on your journey. It's an infamous dog dumping ground, and I'm pretty sure some of them are the offspring of ferals. They'd try to attack cars as they drove by, tire chewing and the like.

It's only a few miles away from Tugboat Springs and the like, tourist areas. I don't think I'd have gotten out of my car on the reservation without carrying, for the dogs or for the population.

I'm always a little bit bitter at the housewife putting out her garbage early one morning near my house who came face-to-face with a mountain lion. I've spent over 30 years hunting/camping/hiking/climbing in some of the most remote, isolated places in the PNW and have yet to see one--sometimes even trying to find one. Makes me think the next time I go out in the woods I should wear a robe and some houseshoes...

Feral dogs are especially dangerous because they have no fear of humans. I recall an article about children waiting for the school bus in Australia being menaced by packs of dogs. It is a good bet that post-SHTF they will be a threat, especially in the absence of vaccinations or treatment for rabies. A spear might be something to consider when ammo is scarce.

Feral dogs are a threat not to be taken lightly. It seems a few years go by without any incidents then someone gets attacked and you hear about it. There have been more than a few feral dog incidents in Central/Eastern Oregon over the years with the most famous probably the one about 25 years ago where a surveyor near Mt. Bachelor was attacked by a pack - but got away and returned the next day armed, and encountered the dogs again but it did not go so well for the dogs. I remember reading an interesting article on dogs long ago and it is not unusual for a domestic dog to pack up with feral or other domestic ones and 'become' feral for the night and then return home as the loving pet by morning. Another problem is owners who let their dogs run free when they are out doing whatever in the NF. They forget there are others out there as well and if their dogs run ahead of their owners they may wind up out of sight or earshot and can be perceived as a threat if encountered or surprised by someone other than their owner. This happened a couple years ago when I was quad riding with some friends. I had stopped a short distance behind them and I heard a dog barking viciously up the road and my friend's girlfriend yelling. I hauled azz up there and my friend had already drawn and I joined him. We held off as the owner, a city lookin' fella on a mountain bike came riding up and called it off. It happened at this spot literally within minutes after this picture was taken. The owner is lucky he got there when he did........
a3.jpg

a3.jpg

RV,I would have had a problem not shooting it straight away.Serves the city dipsh!t right for not keeping his deer running dog under control.
And I'm a dog lover.
But that dog is probably still out ahead of his owner chasing or killing game.
I had to tell a lady down the road that her dog may get shot if a hunter sees it running deer.
I think it's best to destroy these packs of dogs since they will breed like coyotes,only twice a year not once

I would have had a problem not shooting it straight away.
It was close and may have happened if the dog had not just stood there barking and the owner was essentially right behind it around the corner. Had there been a larger gap between the owner and the dog well, who knows. The owner was pretty well freaked out over this.

About 20 years ago I had a big male Rotty jump his (2' high) front fence and confront my wife and I while we were walking down the sidewalk. He looked pretty P.O.ed, snarling, barking, hackles raised and drool flying everywhere. I held my carry weapon at the time, a .38 derringer, pressed right up against his nose, cocked and ready to shoot, until his owner came out of the house about two minutes later and retrieved him. No apology. Had we turned and run, I'm certain one of us would have been bit or worse.

Keith

My neighbor behind me HAD two huge Rotts for several years. They continually patrolled my fenceline staring me down, barking incessantly the whole thing. I called the Sheriff's Dept a couple of times for guidance and they told me they would send an animal officer over to hang out with me for 15 minutes. If the dogs continued to be a nuisance she would slap a $250 fine per dog. I held off on that deciding to be the nice guy. I did however tell the Officer I would not hesitate to shoot if they ever crossed my fence as my daughter was living with me and could be outside anytime. She agreed with me. Fast forward to about two years ago I looked out the window to see one of them HALFWAY under the fence and digging fast. I went ballistic and jumped in my pickup and had to drive down my road and up his to get to his place and when I drove up he was talking to a neighbor on his side and was wide eyed when I jumped out. I was civil and told him what was happening and he immediately ran to the fence called the dog off and spent the rest of the afternoon filling the hole with rocks and making sure this would never happen again. When he was done he informed me the female of the two dogs was terminally ill (I had seen it limping around) and was not long for the world. It died shortly thereafter and the male really calmed down. He still barks once in a while but as soon as he does the owner calls him in and I don't see it for a few days. Time took care of my problem but I will never allow it to happen again.

I'm always a little bit bitter at the housewife putting out her garbage early one morning near my house who came face-to-face with a mountain lion. I've spent over 30 years hunting/camping/hiking/climbing in some of the most remote, isolated places in the PNW and have yet to see one--sometimes even trying to find one. Makes me think the next time I go out in the woods I should wear a robe and some houseshoes...

Agreed! I've lived most my 52 years in the PNW and have seen one cougar and it was not sitting around to be looked at it was flat moving!
Where we hunt elk there are all kinds of sign and I have seen where they have killed deer, small elk... I have smelled where they have pooped/peed/sprayed perhaps minutes before our arrival but I have never seen but the one

Guess I just don't look edible enough or they can sense I ain't afraid of any damn cat and can shoot straight

A quick note on Pepper Spray and dogs: It's highly unreliable.

A dog who bites out of fear is protecting himself and generally looking for escape. Pepper spray may work in this circumstance.

An aggressive dog, who intends to do harm, will NOT be affected by pepper spray. Adrenaline dampens pain sensors in K9's which allows them to keep fighting even after grievous injury. Pepper spray/mace will have no affect.

I spent 20 years raising and training large breed dogs. On a couple of occasions I've had to deploy pepper spray on an aggressive dog who had attacked and it was ineffective both times (and yes, I carry the good stuff.) Every now and then I meet someone who mentions that their wives/mothers carry pepper spray in their neighborhood "for stray dogs." I try to share the fallacy of this wisdom with them and I hope they never come across a dog actually determined to attack.

Speaking of untrained or aggressive dogs. I run a lot and run into dogs who will occasionally give chase or act aggressive. I haven't been bit but a best buddy of mine used to run a lot up by Granite Falls and he had a dog take a good bite out of his side while he was exercising. Never hurts to be prepared, even if it's a folding knife it might save you a world of hurt.

This was an issue when I lived in NC. Hurricane blew through a few years before I moved there, and caused a ton of homeless dogs. Feral dogs run outside of raleigh with impunity. I took a wrong turn once, and pulled onto public grounds to turn around once. Within seconds my car was surrounded by 8 barking dogs. No less than 3 pits in the group. I was in my car, and fine, but I pity someone who gets out of their car.

Speaking of untrained or aggressive dogs. I run a lot and run into dogs who will occasionally give chase or act aggressive. I haven't been bit but a best buddy of mine used to run a lot up by Granite Falls and he had a dog take a good bite out of his side while he was exercising. Never hurts to be prepared, even if it's a folding knife it might save you a world of hurt.

Jogging in Granite Falls is probably not the best place to go running. People go there to hide or run a clandestine operation of some drug related sort. People living out there tend to have something to hide and keep aggressive dogs to protect it.

I was chased once while dragging a deer in Georgia; it isn't fun and there will be more and more "events". I learned the trick to survival (other than luck) from an old-timer but its not suited for public view here in Oregon.

PM if you want the technique.

Check this out fellers! Crazy right? And geese, talk about small targets, a guy would need a scatter gun for an attack like that!

Girl recovering after being attacked by pack of Chihuahuas - CBS 5 - KPHO

I have been told that you can not shoot a dog ferril or not until it is about to attack you...I say if a dog charges in any aggressive matter he is going down!
It would be interesting to hear some legit info on shooting aggressive animals in SD within city limits...:gun12:

Two yotes killed a Canadian girl a few years back on a hiking trail.. she was a 19 year old budding singer

I've seen packs out on my place on the Olympic Peninsula but only had my 1911, only one was fully visible at 35 yards.. looked like 90 lb pit mixes, likely a litter that was dumped. By the time I got back from my Scout with a mini 14 they were gone.. they are near as wily as yotes..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top