Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Another question about class for Oregon CHL

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by dobanion, Aug 29, 2009.

1. dobanion

dobanion North Portland, Oregon Member

OK, you all advised me my very old (10 years) certificate was still valid for getting my CHL. But I got another question.

This is for Multnomah County BTW. They state "You must have completed a Concealed Handgun Safety Class first."

I got my certificate when they weren't expressly calling them that. The certificate just says "BASIC FIREARM SAFETY." It's got the NRA# and name of the instructor and everything. It's from The Place to Shoot. Same place now has actual "Concealed Handgun License" classes.

So what do you all think? Will my certificate be enough?

2. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

I've always heard that the cert from the class was only good for one year. Maybe they overlook that. Dude, your wasting time. Just go in and get it done. If they say it doesn't work then spend the 35 bucks for a new class. You need the information in your brain fresh. Your chl going to take awhile for it to get to you so file for it asap.

3. dobanion

Oh the application is in the mail. Just wondering if I should wait for the appointment and take the cert I got, or just spend the time and $40 and go again before my appointment.

4. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

Your cert was from 10yrs ago, if you have the $40, go ahead and take the new class, it cant hurt to get the refresher in your head...

5. willseeker

willseeker N. Portland. Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the Sheep and Wayout, take the $35.00 three hour class. I already had other classes from NRA instructors and certifications but still took my safety class at the Multnomah Sherrifs office. Never know what you might learn, like "Dont Point That Thing At Your Foot":laugh:
    But that's just my 2 cents. I'm a class junkie. I just don't think I know everything.

6. DoktorT

DoktorT Chewelah, WA Member

Just where does one go for the 3 hour $35 class?? Near Hillsboro??

7. dobanion

UPDATE: Multnomah County Sheriff's CHL Office accepted my 10 year old class certificate without batting a eye.

8. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

FWIW, my wife just renewed her permit that expired in 1992.

She gave them the old permit, wrote a check, got her picture taken,
    and a couple of weeks later had a new 4 year permit.

Yamhill County

9. EUGENE the REALTOR

EUGENE the REALTOR Portland Metro Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I went to Beavercreek Armory, it's right off of Cornelius Pass. Just google it for address and phone number.

10. DoktorT

DoktorT Chewelah, WA Member

Thank you. I will just go down to the Sherrif's office, show them my expired permit, and see if that will allow me to fill out and submit the application for a new permit. If not, then I will pay the extortion to Beaverwhatsit and put up with the obvious infringment of the 2nd amendment right.