JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright, I've been involving myself more with gun rights issues of late, and discovered this forum through a friend. Figured it was about time to get on here and introduce myself.

I'm a fairly liberal Portlander who believes that gun rights are one of the main freedoms that need protecting as a liberal. I am active in the Multnomah County Democratic Party, and just last week gave a presentation at the county party meeting about the Democratic Party of Oregon's Gun Owners Caucus. (I'm the Multnomah County Local Chapter Representative of the caucus.)

At certain other online gun-rights forums, I've been attacked as "you dare call yourself a Democrat, you must be deluding yourself!" Well, for me, it was a matter of: Do I pick a party that I agree with the most, but have it a completely marginalized party; or do I pick one of the two major parties and try to influence that party more to my liking? I picked option B. And having decided to pick a major party, it was the choice of "one I like for about 75% of issues, but is perceived as anti-gun"; or "one I disagree with for 75% of issues, and will run me out of of the party if I try to influence them on those 75%." So I picked the Democratic Party.

I've been using guns since I was in Boy Scouts here in Portland, and while there were no guns in the house when I grew up, I was taught a good respect for them. I went to college in rural Arizona, and came to enjoy target shooting through much more "gun nut" friends there. (One of which is the person I found this site through - but I won't name him because he likes his anonymity.)

Since leaving college and moving back to Portland over a decade ago, I have bought a small 9mm (Kel-Tec P11, about a decade ago,) and inherited an old Sears-sold 12ga shotgun (JC Higgins Model 20, about five years ago,) in the last year, my activism and interest has increased, and I have gotten my CHL and last month bought a Mosin-Nagant (1939 manufacture, in great condition) and an SKS (receiver only, plus enough US-made parts to assemble a legal one,) from a co-worker.

Welcome from a mental health professional who dares to launch lead from a real gun. :) One of my favorite Internet sources on reloading is a guy whose tag is "
SanFranciscoLiberalWithAGun". Gotta love the reactions of the uninformed.

Hmmm. Gun ownership covers all demographics. Politically, I make Atilla the Hun look like a liberal, I eat organic produce, free range eggs and grass-fed beef, and although I've never so much as smoked a joint, I believe that the War on Drugs is a failure and should be abolished. What does that make me..?

Regardless, welcome aboard :)

Keith

CharonPDX it never hurts to look at issues from another perspective, on of my best friends is very liberal and I find myself very conservative...we respect each other because of we are both people of character. So I will assume you are a person of character just by your introduction, so welcome aboard!

Welcome! This community would be doing itself a great disservice if we put restrictions on who we allowed to join us in love and support of firearms. You'll quickly find you are not alone here :)

Alright, I've been involving myself more with gun rights issues of late, and discovered this forum through a friend. Figured it was about time to get on here and introduce myself.

I'm a fairly liberal Portlander who believes that gun rights are one of the main freedoms that need protecting as a liberal. I am active in the Multnomah County Democratic Party, and just last week gave a presentation at the county party meeting about the Democratic Party of Oregon's Gun Owners Caucus. (I'm the Multnomah County Local Chapter Representative of the caucus.)

At certain other online gun-rights forums, I've been attacked as "you dare call yourself a Democrat, you must be deluding yourself!" Well, for me, it was a matter of: Do I pick a party that I agree with the most, but have it a completely marginalized party; or do I pick one of the two major parties and try to influence that party more to my liking? I picked option B. And having decided to pick a major party, it was the choice of "one I like for about 75% of issues, but is perceived as anti-gun"; or "one I disagree with for 75% of issues, and will run me out of of the party if I try to influence them on those 75%." So I picked the Democratic Party.

I've been using guns since I was in Boy Scouts here in Portland, and while there were no guns in the house when I grew up, I was taught a good respect for them. I went to college in rural Arizona, and came to enjoy target shooting through much more "gun nut" friends there. (One of which is the person I found this site through - but I won't name him because he likes his anonymity.)

Since leaving college and moving back to Portland over a decade ago, I have bought a small 9mm (Kel-Tec P11, about a decade ago,) and inherited an old Sears-sold 12ga shotgun (JC Higgins Model 20, about five years ago,) in the last year, my activism and interest has increased, and I have gotten my CHL and last month bought a Mosin-Nagant (1939 manufacture, in great condition) and an SKS (receiver only, plus enough US-made parts to assemble a legal one,) from a co-worker.

It was said above and worth saying twice that defense of the 2nd amendment should transcend liberal/conservative. Thank you deeply for your defense and any work in support of it. You're not the only liberal here, and you'll find that a well thought out and documented with links response should get some interesting conversation going at times. We don't all agree and it makes for a richer educational environment when we don't, but have good and thoughtful discourse on our views. BTW, a heads up - straight political conversations are not welcome here I learned recently when I asked what folks thought of the recent republican debate.

Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the NWFA Forum CharonPDX.
I too am left leaning. Although I do not engage in political discussions here, unless they are 2A, or gun related.

There are many more than they know :s0131::s0114:

Take it easy guys. Democrats working within their party are exactly what we need to ensure widespread support of our firearm rights. It amazes me how many people are willing to turn down support for our cause. If the Communist Party of Oregon supported our firearm rights this website would welcome them with open arms.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top