Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Another newbie needing help

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Master17, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

I am new to reloading. I am loading some 40 cal. This is what I have:
    Hodgdon Titegroup powder
    10 mm semi wad cutters non plated by Precision Bullet.
    I can't find anywhere that will give info on powder load.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. lcb97269

lcb97269 Milwaukie, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter

When in need for load data, Google it and you will find all kinds of stuff.

For your request it was simply typing in '40 s&w titegroup load data.' The following was the first on a long list of info.

40 S&W Load Data - Handloads.Com

3. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

Thanks but it doesn't show anything for exactly what I have. Should I assume that it is close enough? With the titegroup being so hot and the fact that it is 40 I was trying to be very couscous.

4. lcb97269

Since you never said what your bullet weight is it is hard to help you. Start with data for the same gr weight or less of the type of bullet you plan to use, whether jacketed or hollow point. Reduce max charge by 10% and work up. The shape of the bullet ie HP, round nose SWC, etc. doesn't matter. Pick a lead or jacketed load in the weight of bullet you are using and you should be good to go if you start low.

5. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

Crap I had it written down but didn't type it. 175gr SWC

6. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

Ok. I thought the type made more difference. Does it make a difference on how I crimp?

7. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

8. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

I found this info on the Precision bullet home page.Looks like they can be pushed quite fast if desired.I might have to try some of these.

9. lcb97269

Load them the same as a 180 gr. Tapper crimp only, no roll crimp. It is always good to have a cartridge length gauge to check finished ammo. If it fits in the gauge and is between min and max, should be good to go.

You are new to reloading, you NEED to buy and READ a good reloading manual that will walk you thru the basics. I started with the Lyman manual about 40 years ago. Lee makes a good one too. Both use generic information that applies to all reloading vs the ones that are bullet specific which generally push one product by one manufacturer. Neither Lyman or Lee sell bullets, primers or powder so they have no stake in selling those items. They make dies and bullet casting equipment only.

10. Master17

Master17 Salem Member

Thank you for the info. I will hit the books.