Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Another new toy.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Gunner3456, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

In 1976 I bought a NIB Ruger Mark I .22lr "Made in the 200th year of American liberty" pistol.

Many years later I gave it to my son, still NIB for Christmas. I didn't regret giving it to him and he still has it and shoots it, but I missed having it.

I just got another on gunbroker, assuming the seller comes through. (The last gun I "bought" on gunbroker was gone - not available when I tried to pay for it.) :(.

Here ya go. I sure paid up the wazoo for it. Sometimes it's wanting it, not the value. :)

Here she be. Scroll down and look at the receipt for what it cost new in 1976: Link to Gunbroker auction and pics.

PS I'm going to rotate this to my regular shooter. It's not NIB anyway.

2. curtismann

curtismann Silverton Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I think you done good. Awfully hard to put a price tag on sentimental things. Besides, with all the documentation, it's like you bought the thing yourself, and are a master of record keeping.
    (P.s. Glad to hear you're going to shoot it. That's what guns are for. If it weren't for that I'd probably collect baseball cards instead.)

3. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Wow, $96.05 out the door in 1976, incredible.........

4. Gunner3456

Yep. That's about what I paid for the one I bought in 76, but Oregon doesn't have the sales tax. I don't recall a BG check then either, but then I'm getting senile. :)

5. Gunner3456

Yeah, I'm also aware the gun is not a "target" as the ad said, but I bid accordingly. I think the dual purpose pamphlet threw the guy off.

The "Made in the 200th Year..." stamp is also in the top of the receiver, not the barrel as the seller stated. I hope he has the right gun!! :)

rugermk1-1.jpg

6. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

If I read the receipt right, the pistol itself was $82.50 before all the other stuff was added. Nice piece, by the way, you are an alright kind of dad!

SF-

7. fred c. dobbs

fred c. dobbs salem Active Member

8. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

I love the little Ruger mark I. They are accurate, reliable, and just fun to shoot.

9. Gunner3456

Exactly. He bought 2 extra mags for $9 which are still in the boxes (in the day before bubble packaging) and and paid sales tax.

10. Partsproduction

Partsproduction Tillamook Oregon Active Member

Good thing the last guy didn't think that way or the new owner would have bought a shot out piece of garbage. The way to tell though is when prices get up into the ten thousand of bucks for a NIB gun, then only pure fools shoot them, or people with so much money they don't mind that first shot costing $9600. :D

11. Gunner3456

The gun isn't NIB or even LNIB. It's been shot and has a few marks. If all I could do was collect it, I wouldn't have bought it. I have no safe queens and no interest in acquiring any. I will do my best to keep the gun and the box and docs as nice a possible though.

My $.02 is that "commemorative" guns don't usually add that much value anyway. I forget how many guns Ruger made which were stamped with the "Made in 200th year..." deal, but it was all of their guns for the whole year, AFAIK.

12. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

Welcome to the world of NFA. NIB Colt m16 - $20,000, shot colt m16 - $15,000. that is an expensive first shot.