JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just an old collector, with a C&R, lured out from the east coast a decade ago. I'm mostly interested in older military arms, but I have few semi-auto toys that are more modern.
Really kind of confused by the gun laws here in Washington. I can have huge magazines and mufflers but no short barrelled rifles or full autos. I thought Maryland was messed up because no mag with more than 10 rounds but anything else was fine. Seriously Full-auto, Short barrelled, Mufflers, all good with a tax stamp. That may have changed through since I left.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

[Edit- We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests] - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Yes and do you know of an SOT who offers services to the military or police willing to make a receiver and serial number it then sell it? ATF will not approve a tax stamp to build a short barreled rifle to any non-SOT person in Washington state. Without the tax stamp it is not legal to own/make a short barreled rifle.

Yes and do you know of an SOT who offers services to the military or police willing to make a receiver and serial number it then sell it? ATF will not approve a tax stamp to build a short barreled rifle to any non-SOT person in Washington state. Without the tax stamp it is not legal to own/make a short barreled rifle.
Where did you get that perception?

Where did you get that perception?
Talked to a friend at the ATF. As of June 1 2020 the ATF will not issue a tax stamp for making a short barreled rifle to any non-SOT Washington person. You have to have an SOT and be engaged in business with the military or police to get the "Making" tax stamp. He wasn't sure if the SOT could transfer a short barreled rifle to a non-SOT or the process of how to complete the transaction. He could only answer my question about making one myself. It was a Saturday and he didn't want to talk shop for too long.

That's not true. The ATF can, and does approve Form 1's to make SBRs for non-SOT Washington residents. Unless the "maker" has a criminal record or prohibited person history there isn't any reason not to approve the Form 1.

If I had to guess, I'd think that person was describing the situation for machine guns, not semi auto SBRs. That would match up.

Last Edited:
OK, looks like you might be wrong. Remember I want to make it. Not transfer or acquire new one.

-----------clipped from West Coast Armory website-------

While a WA gun owner may possess/transport/acquire or transfer a short barreled rifle in accordance with Federal law under the provisions of SB5956 they may not lawfully manufacture or assemble such a device, nor may they loan or furnish it to others.

Only a Class 07 Federal Firearms Licensee (Manufacturer) may legally assemble or manufacture a short barreled rifle in WA and only if they do legitimate business with the military or law enforcement. Thus, WA residents wanting a short barreled rifle can have them registered by 07 FFL holding a 02 SOT. (RCW 9.41.220 clearly states that 07/02 FFLs are exempt as long as they also providing a service to law enforcement or military. This was written to prevent table top dealers from also only manufacturing machine guns etc. for personal use.)

----------------------------------------------
My problem:
I have a semi-auto only 16 inch barreled copy of a submachine gun. Purchased it years ago. I want to cut 8 inches off of the barrel and keep the folding stock. That means I want to manufacture a short barreled rifle and I can't because of SB5956.

My only legal options are to cut the barrel down and weld the folding stock in the folded position or leave it as is. I haven't found a 02 SOT who is willing to make modifications for me. Maybe you know an 02 SOT who would be willing to quote me a price on that?

Wait just thought of something. My only legal option is to leave it as is. I can't convert a rifle receiver to pistol receiver. I'd have to get a frame parts kit (no full auto parts) and reassemble the kit as a pistol for that to work. Could be done but I really love the folding stock.

A 2014 article written by a non-attorney at a local gun shop without providing any citations for its propositions is not of much value to this question. For example, where does that author get the idea that it is illegal to assemble an SBR? Once the Form is approved the federal NFA is complied with. Washington's ban on the assembly of SBRs only applies if the maker does not have an approved stamp. If a person did not have an approved Form 1 and was not an SOT then yes it would be illegal for them to build an SBR no matter which state they were in.

Apparently the "manufacture" and "assemble" language was added two years after SB5956:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/Senate/6165-S.SL.pdf?cite=2016%20c%20214%20§%201

Ok, I still only see may possess/transport/acquire or transfer a short barreled rifle and not assemble, make, modify.

I'll call and ask the ATF on Monday. I used to contact them on a regular basis in a previous job. They are usually very helpful. I think the direct numbers still work. If not I'll use the customer service numbers or my license.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top