JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Came across this forum searching. Seems like one of the good NW resources for gun enthusiasts.

I don't live far from the Johnson Creek Gun Club. Let my membership lapse last year. Got myself a new 1911 and need to shoot it. Guess it's time to sign up again or hook up with someone that knows the free outdoor areas.

I want to get into IDPA (out of luck on this one I guess) or IPSC but dang the Tri-County fees are pretty steep. BTW, whats with the IPSC guys not liking IDPA guys (or vise versa)? Nothing like opening a can of worms in my first post eh?

On another note, the mags that came with my Fusion (ACT) dont like to feed Fedral JHP's. Is there anyone local to the clackamas/milwaukie area with some different 1911 mags that would let me come by and hand cycle some JPH rounds with their mags? I don't want to spend $$ on mags that wont work. I am a pretty active fisherman with a 20ft ThunderJet and would take someone fishing for their trouble. :s0155:

Anyhow, glad I stumbled onto this site.

Stay warm

Mark

Welcome aboard!

Is there anyone local to the clackamas/milwaukie area with some different 1911 mags that would let me come by and hand cycle some JPH rounds with their mags?

Hand cycling isn't always an indicator of reliability of a magazine feeding or not. The recoil cycling action of a 1911 is a pretty violent action, and the magazine is designed to feed/work under those conditions. So in other words, the round can and often acts different in firing to hand cycling.

One can rack the slide back hard and let go of it when it reaches full travel. Just don't ride it forward. Then see what happens.

Hand cycling isn't always an indicator of reliability of a magazine feeding or not. The recoil cycling action of a 1911 is a pretty violent action, and the magazine is designed to feed/work under those conditions. So in other words, the round can and often acts different in firing to hand cycling.

One can rack the slide back hard and let go of it when it reaches full travel. Just don't ride it forward. Then see what happens.

Yea, I have done it by pulling back hard enough so that my hand slips off the slide when the rear motion stops. I also have tried it by letting the slide stop fall (by releasing it with the thumb). The bullet actually gets pushed back into the case a noticeable amount (and I have a light recoil spring installed).

If it cant be fixed with different mags (which I am sure it will be) I'll send it back to the manufacturer and he will throat the chamber to the ammo I want to use. But to me it looks as if the first round or 2 out of the mag is getting pushed into a nose down (or parallel to the barrel) position and causing the jams.

If the top round is nose diving, throating won't help. You have a magazine problem.

Are you using a fully loaded magazine?

If so, download by one, and see if the same thing happens.

Keep racking the slide hard until you go thru the entire magazine, and note which rounds are giving you problems.

Standing by...

The mags are 8rnd ACT's. In a loaded mag the first 2 rounds nose dive. Ball ammo is fine (longer rounds overall than the JHP's).

Bob (its a Fusion 1911) is sending me a few different mags to see if another manufacturer will work better than the ACT/Novak's. For now I am leaving both mags fully loaded for a while to see if I can break in the spring a little.

IPSC rules over IDPA!!!:s0131:

I have done both and in my opinion...Ipsc is the absolute most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Welcome aboard....

BTW....IPSC shooters are much better the those IDPA guys....:)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top