JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A good friend brought me a lot of reloading supplies that belonged to a man that has passed away.
As I sorted through it and put some away today, I often thought that someday someone will be digging through all my stuff. The guy that gave this to my friend wanted it to go to someone that would make good use of it and I'll do my best. It may seem odd, but I thought about the man that used to own all this quite a few times today.
I gave a pile of military 06 brass and a couple enbloc clips away already. Here's some pictures. There are around 2500 bullets and most I can use, but I'll have to start shooting the 357 a lot. I have enough stuff here to get someone started reloading, if could find a youngster that has the desire and not the means. If anyone knows that person and is willing to help them give me a shout. I've not seen powder with these label's before. They are full and unopened and cost $2.49.
reload1.JPG reload.JPG reload2.JPG

Wow, very generous of you! I had someone give me his old reloading gear after he upgraded. I spent a lot of time over at his house with a ton of questions. Now, after sixteen years, I've saved probably close to ten grand!

Good on you, man. I gave my daughter a complete setup, makes me proud to know she rolls her own 308 and 7-08 cartridges.
Whomever you give it to, I would caution them to contact Hodgdon to see about load data for that old powder. I presume the formulations changed - and all of the older powders I have are not well behaved if partially loaded.

Wonderful sentiment right there, but I would be exceptionally greedy to take you up on this. I happen to have the means in which to reproduce a lot of different calibers. I hope this can benefit somebody deserving, and will make good use of these supplies.
I had the same happen for me with fly tying. My father bought some materials from a man in Canada just before he died. I ended up being able to tie classic streamers and salmon flies.

I don't think I'd trust the old powder with a newbie reloader.... And a little iffy on the primers too. But that's just my :s0159:I'm especially sceptical of other people's powder etc. since @AndyinEverson had his 03-A3 granade the other day.

Those old powder cans are neat though. They would make great man cave fodder.

Good on you, man. I gave my daughter a complete setup, makes me proud to know she rolls her own 308 and 7-08 cartridges.
Whomever you give it to, I would caution them to contact Hodgdon to see about load data for that old powder. I presume the formulations changed - and all of the older powders I have are not well behaved if partially loaded.
No worry's, I'm not giving the powder away.

No worry's, I'm not giving the powder away.

I haven't been in the game long, but I would be very leery of using powder that old. I've never smelled powder that's gone bad, so have nothing to go on. I'm curious how the powder that old smells? If the cans that had been opened for many years smell good? Compared to un-opened old? Did powder always smell like it does now? Did they date powder cans back then?

Crap, that's a lot of questions, sorry.

Last question, promise....Are there any old "Hercules" cans of powder? I have fond memories of the Hercules Powder plant growing up in the Salt Lake Valley. The history is quite fascinating how Hercules came about in 1912. I would be interested in buying a can if you do. With powder, just out of curiosity.

Wow! Any old tins of 3031?
Wanting to find one to put in the shadow box for Grandads rifle.

(Empty preferred or with nasty unusable powder)

Last question, promise....Are there any old "Hercules" cans of powder? I have fond memories of the Hercules Powder plant growing up in the Salt Lake Valley. The history is quite fascinating how Hercules came about in 1912. I would be interested in buying a can if you do. With powder, just out of curiosity.
I have had this for some time.
2400.JPG

From: DANGER: Old Gunpowder Can Kill You - Ron Spomer Outdoors

There have been reports of large quantities of smokeless military powder confined in relatively small spaces (small rooms, perhaps cellars) degenerating to acidic gases and those gases exploding, but I have never heard of small quantities of common handloading powders exploding. But what do you do with a canister of old gunpowder? According to Chris Hodgdon of the Hodgdon Powder Company in Shawnee Mission, Kansas, the powder in the canister shown here is WWII surplus likely manufactured way back in the 1930s or 1940s, then packaged and sold by his company in the 1950s or early 1060s. Mr. Hodgdon went on to write that the stuff in the can is "probably good if [it was] properly stored.

Check for deterioration by three factors: strong smell, rust colored kernels (or rusty dust) and warm to the touch. [If] Any of these are present GET RID IF IT. Old powder makes great fertilizer for the lawn." So sprinkle it in your garden or lawn and water it down. But if it appears to still be good, feel free to follow directions in a handloading manual for H4831 powder and build a test load using the recommended starting dose (low powder quantity, low pressure.) Shoot this over a chronograph such as the Oehler Research 35P and note the velocity. If it falls near the numbers listed in the recipe book, the powder is still potent. Knowing this, handloaders can sometimes find and buy "old" powder for pennies. Look at the $2.50 price on the can in this picture. Today's H4831 is selling for about ten times more. # # #

From: DANGER: Old Gunpowder Can Kill You - Ron Spomer Outdoors

There have been reports of large quantities of smokeless military powder confined in relatively small spaces (small rooms, perhaps cellars) degenerating to acidic gases and those gases exploding, but I have never heard of small quantities of common handloading powders exploding. But what do you do with a canister of old gunpowder? According to Chris Hodgdon of the Hodgdon Powder Company in Shawnee Mission, Kansas, the powder in the canister shown here is WWII surplus likely manufactured way back in the 1930s or 1940s, then packaged and sold by his company in the 1950s or early 1060s. Mr. Hodgdon went on to write that the stuff in the can is "probably good if [it was] properly stored.

Check for deterioration by three factors: strong smell, rust colored kernels (or rusty dust) and warm to the touch. [If] Any of these are present GET RID IF IT. Old powder makes great fertilizer for the lawn." So sprinkle it in your garden or lawn and water it down. But if it appears to still be good, feel free to follow directions in a handloading manual for H4831 powder and build a test load using the recommended starting dose (low powder quantity, low pressure.) Shoot this over a chronograph such as the Oehler Research 35P and note the velocity. If it falls near the numbers listed in the recipe book, the powder is still potent. Knowing this, handloaders can sometimes find and buy "old" powder for pennies. Look at the $2.50 price on the can in this picture. Today's H4831 is selling for about ten times more. # # #

Thanks, The powder is in a cool place in my shop. I'm not sure what it's future is. I got a couple pounds in a unmarked coffee can too. I suspect it's also 4831. He was shooting a Remington 721 in 244 (6mm) and using 4831.

I am now shooting with my friend's 9 year old. He will be reloading with me soon . I have some primers over 25 years old. Some powder is up to 14 years old. I also have old reloading books. I sure could use any 357/38 bullets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top