JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
W didn't know what a door lock was up until the 60's. No one ever had to worry about anyone breaking in. we knew our neighbors and people respected each other.
I would take those days and years a thousand times over what we have now.
Women were respected and acted like women, and men were men. Not a bunch of frilly dillys.......
Fights were just fights and more a hobby where most of the time the combatants became friends after.
They were not felonies. Just good hard nosed fun. We opened doors for and seated a lady.
Most contracts were on a handshake except things like cars homes and insurance dealings.
What exists today is just plain bullcrap.
Kids could actually go out and work in the berry, bean and hay fields in the summer and earn some money. I worked in the berry fields when 8 and on a dairy from about 10 yrs to 15 yrs hauling hay.
Then I fished for money til I was 17.
Look at the age today before they will let kids wipe themselves... :-/

The only reason anyone locks their doors these days is because they watch the news. Crime is almost identical today as it was in the 50s.

Cant see who said crime today is same as the 50's, but will respond with.
must be on the block list. Who the hell even said that ????

YOU MUST BE A RESIDENT OF THE STATE MENTAL HOSPITAL.
THAT is the most ridiculous one I have heard in this decade.
For the most part we didnt have crime nor did we have the drug use until the mid60's hit.
We lived it. There is not even a small comparison to the extreme crap of today.

The only reason anyone locks their doors these days is because they watch the news. Crime is almost identical today as it was in the 50s.

Hmm. Although I will agree that the news is 95% fear mongering for the state, to believe crime was the same in the 50s is off base.

In the 50s, 99.99999999999% of the time I am sure an eight year old boy could have walked home a mile or two from baseball practice without worry of being abducted or raped; priest lurking in the bushes, etc.

Heck, in the 70s a kid could still walk around, have a paper route, etc without an armed guard. Not much like that anymore.

Hmm. Although I will agree that the news is 95% fear mongering for the state, to believe crime was the same in the 50s is off base.

In the 50s, 99.99999999999% of the time I am sure an eight year old boy could have walked home a mile or two from baseball practice without worry of being abducted or raped; priest lurking in the bushes, etc.

Heck, in the 70s a kid could still walk around, have a paper route, etc without an armed guard. Not much like that anymore.

Yep its 180 from today. And the local LE generally stopped to find out how the hunting or fishing was so they could find a spot for after work, not to shove a gun up your azz. Times are far far different and 99.9999% is due to liberals.

This is a perfect example of how far off-base perception is from reality nowadays. It's very hard to tell with the child-abduction thing, but all evidence points to there being about a 50% reduction in strange abductions from the middle of the last century. Even those agencies tasked with keeping you terrified for your child's life have to admit that, though there were no national statistics kept before about the 90s, it would seem there's a significant decline.

According to the FBI, there are about 50 unrecovered abductions in the US every year. 50. "unrecovered abductions" is that scenario we all fear so much- a stranger snagging your child to rape and murder him/her. The rest of abductions are almost entirely noncustodial family-member abductions. THOSE are higher than they have been in the past, but the child is basically always recovered, and recovered unharmed. Horrible for those poor 50 families every year... but 50? Do you have any idea how many children there are in the US? That's absolutely nothing, compared to the daily hazards we expose them to without even thinking about.

Your child is perfectly fine walking home from baseball practice. Mine run amok all over the place. I teach them warning signs, but not to fear the world- unlike how MY generation was taught to think that we were constantly being stalked and had to be on guard at all times to prevent being snatched out of our shoes. bubbleguming ridiculous.

Here's the Fed's opinion on child abductions.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/html/ojjdp/nismart/qa/

Although the number of stereotypical kidnappings by strangers reported by NISMART–1 (200–300) and NISMART–2 (115) appears to reflect a decline in such abductions, these figures are derived from studies that used very different methodologies. For example, NISMART–1 researchers studied police records from a sample of 83 law enforcement agencies.

For NISMART–2, the sample was expanded to more than 4,000 agencies, and data were collected from police personnel who investigated the cases. Because of the different methods used and the rarity of such cases, no scientific basis exists to conclude that there has been a true decline—although it is possible. On the other hand, NISMART–2 results do not indicate an increase in abductions by strangers.

Here's a quick chart on violent crime in the US. I don't really have time to dig for statistics, guys... if you want to go on believing the US is soooo dangerous, be my guest. But if you spend a little time on this, you'll find that you can probably tone it down a bit. I work full time and am working on a graduate degree MORE than full time... plus trying to squeeze in time for my wife and 5 kids... I love to debate you guys, but I can't be writing research papers for you.

US-NY+Crime+Comparison.JPG

Gov lies, constantly. So I'll trust my own eyes. 1955 good, 2013 bad. Mankind is in a state of de-evolution in every way. Idiocracy is now. Gov and it's media could never put the BS past the people in the 50s, 60s, or 70s like it does today .

Too many people back then could still THINK. Now we are a nation of drones, pedophiles and misfits. Go back further and people in the 1800s were mostly Einsteins compared to the idiots today. <broken link removed>

A stupid, violent ape race sliding down a mud embankment toward a sewer (aka a very much lower adj standard of living).

Gov lies, constantly. So I'll trust my own eyes. 1955 good, 2013 bad. Mankind is in a state of de-evolution in every way. Idiocracy is now. Gov and it's media could never put the BS past the people in the 50s, 60s, or 70s like it does today .

Too many people back then could still THINK. Now we are a nation of drones, pedophiles and misfits. Go back further and people in the 1800s were mostly Einsteins compared to the idiots today. <broken link removed>

A stupid, violent ape race sliding down a mud embankment toward a sewer (aka a very much lower adj standard of living).

The government WANTS you to think the country is more dangerous. For someone claiming to be the only human being on earth who can see their ploys and smell their BS, I can't believe this is news to you. The absolutely overwhelming perception in this country is that crime is at all time highs, and has been steadily getting worse ever since the "good old days," and will continue to get even worse still. The truth is, crime got really bad in the 80s, but has been plummeting ever since. Likely due to the fact that we have more people in prison than any other nation on Earth, I'm afraid. But I also think the fact that the citizenry have been arming themselves at record rates, and ever moreso, plays into it heavily. Criminals are picking up on the fact that people carry guns, now.. when during the 80s you would have been hard pressed to find a state that even allowed it.

The country is about as safe as it's ever been. The government does not openly offer this, but instead grudging admits it only when you press them.

Unless you live in Chicago, then you're fucced. Unfortunately, all the news comes from Chicago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top