JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And that creates a contradictory identification problem in itself. Pre-1908 is sometimes considered the cutoff date for not using smokeless cartridges in Iver Johnson revolvers. But, the J-serial number prefix is in the smokeless range. Researching the J-prefix shows it was made in 1904.

But mine, a Gen 3, has a D-prefix.

Mine does not free wheel.

Last Edited:
From Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Handguns 1871 - 1978
Chapter 6
Large Frame Safety Automatic Revolver
Second Model, Hammerless 1895 - 1908
1904 7th Variation, Serial numbers J33001 - J66500
Standard finish was Nickel, Blued was optional (+.50 to 1.00) above base price (1905 hammerless $7.00)

The definitive Iver Johnson bible by the late W E Goforth. You are lucky to have a copy as today they are relatively expensive(at least to me). Often wished I had a copy, suppose I should just save up for one. For years he posted on I think The Firing Line forum. Now here is someone's collection of Top Breaks.jpg top break eye candy:

This is my S&W Safety Hammerless, from the same era. I'm planning on Velsey looking into it someday. Never enough cash and too many things things I'd like him to fix first! :) Sorry about krappy iPad photos!

View attachment 358605 View attachment 358606 View attachment 358607

That's quite the trigger arrangement there. I was just at, @Velzey looks like you should get in line, he's starting to perk real well now so has more than a few lined up with more knocking at his shop door.

A Brother asked a question about his gun. Without sharing his SN...

First Model, (Old Model), Hammerless Version 1894 - 1895.

Second Model Hammerless 1895 - 1908
Letter code added in 1897
1898 third variation with separate hammer shroud D33001 - D66500 (not your sn)
1899 a new frame design eliminated the removable hammer shroud, the frame fully enclosing the hammer.
1902 5th variation D66501 - D100000
Top of barrel: IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS
Note the above JOHNSON'S without any asteriks *

New (Third) Model Hammerless 1909 -1941
1924 3rd variation D90801 - D95000
Top of barrel: *IVER JOHNSON ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS*
Note asteriks * and JOHNSON without 'S

In 1909 the New Model was manufactured for smokeless powder pressures.
External look remained the same, internal guts changed. Case-hardened or made of vanadium steel.
Any parts left over from earlier guns were assembled under the name "U.S. Revolver Co.

I think I bought the book for $75 amazon.
Have a couple Iver Johnsons as well as a US Revolver Co.
Not full of knowledge. Just read n type.

I inherited both a .32 S&W (short) and .32 S&W long version.

The Long has really jacked up action. I have torn it down a couple times, but cannot get it to lock up properly, so I have not shot it.
The "short" (I know the cartridge is not officially named that) was in better shape. I managed to find about 10 empty brass in .32s&w and hand loaded with about 1 grain of IMR TrailBoss. I have no other experience with this cartridge, so I cannot say if my load was hotter or softer than spec. I've shot a couple dozen rounds and it's reasonably good.

The mechanical design is pitiful by modern standards, but it works.

Hey bburns, I just wanted to say I like your Reddy Kilowatt pic! I've used a similar one on various forums at various times and back in college in the early 90's the EE club I was in made t-shirts featuring Reddy. Sorry for the off topic comment.

I inherited both a .32 S&W (short) and .32 S&W long version.

The Long has really jacked up action. I have torn it down a couple times, but cannot get it to lock up properly, so I have not shot it.
The "short" (I know the cartridge is not officially named that) was in better shape. I managed to find about 10 empty brass in .32s&w and hand loaded with about 1 grain of IMR TrailBoss. I have no other experience with this cartridge, so I cannot say if my load was hotter or softer than spec. I've shot a couple dozen rounds and it's reasonably good.

The mechanical design is pitiful by modern standards, but it works.

Trail Boss is still smokeless with a higher pressure curve that black powder. It is designed to prevent double charging while making powder puff loads, not to be a black powder substitute. Unless I know the gun is one for smokeless, I would shoot black powder loads. Since you already handload black powder cartridges are the easiest thing in world to reload. With black powder there is no way you can overload the cartridge, just don't leave an airspace between the powder and the bullet. But it is your gun and your eyes and hands. Keep safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top