JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know what SSRIs they were on, the one prescribed for me was an older formulation called Citalopram after I was diagnosed with Major Depression by a VA psychiatrist. I didn't become zombified, it just smoothed me out a bit. I noticed much less anger and anxiety too. But when O'Bummer started threatening to take firearms away from Veterans who were having even the slightest mental issues, I quit both the SSRI meds and the VA counseling.... it wasn't easy.

Are you sure you are not thinking of other heavier psych meds that have dullness as a side effect? I know drowsiness is listed as a side effect, but the only side effect I personally experienced was a form of sexual dysfunction. (And please folks, lets not get into the discussion of SSRI caused suicidal ideation)
Not to make light of your friend's situation, but the car chase you described sounds like just an average Wednesday in Portland. :)

How many Leica M's and Nikon SLR's etc. were sold at bargain basement prices because they were too complicated to use by the surviving widow?
Or the hassle of having a yard sale or even a full service estate sale.... my best shooting buddy's widow has given me all his reloading equip and a bunch of components... everything except his firearms, which are going to the kids.

Wow. In LaGrande? What kind of changes? Like Bend kind of changes?

Nothing at that dramatic level, but yes, those kind of changes in demographics and attitudes.

La Grande has long been a retirement or bedroom community. We see a few Califs move in, but primarily people from Bend escaping the Califs that moved there. Yet, most of the good ol Bend folks already moved long ago, and we are seeing a bunch of the new Bend folks. As well as some from other places. It's not helpful to us that people can live anywhere and work on the internet.

We have also seen an increase in low lifes... tweakers, heroin addicts and dealers, and homeless (they built a winter warming station for them, so now they don't leave during winter), as well as the low income types that survive by having more kids so they can up the welfare payment.

The last (change I will mention) is an increase in the influence of EOU... we have more libs that want to change things.

It's been a long time since the timber industry was destroyed here... no timber jobs except govt, which have obvious leanings. Agriculture is less than it was because of consolidation, but we still grow wheat/barley/grass/canola/peas/mint.

I miss the old Timber/AG community. Good peeps. Bend used to be the same (good ol folks), long ago.

The article is right on one thing: the overwhelming majority of people who fail in their attempt to commit suicide do not go on to try again and the majority of attempts by way of gun are lethal.

Getting a gun out of a suicidal person's hands is a worthwhile problem to solve.

But, I'm failing to see why they think the Gov offering a penny for a quarter will entice those suicidal folks. At best, it's wishful thinking. At worst, it's a goddamn delusion that robs us of manpower, time, and resources that could be better spent actually saving a life or three.
There is that.

Also I have an unsupported but probably correct opinion about why gun suicides are so successful and pills/whatever are not. It's not IMO mostly the tool, it's the operator. People who decide to suck-start a 12ga are pretty serious about their work and dedicated to the cause. Some dolt who washes down a half bottle of pills with a half bottle of whiskey is trying it out on a whim. Test driving it. Trying it on for size as it were.

No wonder 97% of these are 'unsuccessful'. A person who really wants to die can make it happen gun or no gun. Ask relatives of terminal cancer patients if you doubt this.

That's my opinion.

There is that.

Also I have an unsupported but probably correct opinion about why gun suicides are so successful and pills/whatever are not. It's not IMO mostly the tool, it's the operator. People who decide to suck-start a 12ga are pretty serious about their work and dedicated to the cause. Some dolt who washes down a half bottle of pills with a half bottle of whiskey is trying it out on a whim. Test driving it. Trying it on for size as it were.

No wonder 97% of these are 'unsuccessful'. A person who really wants to die can make it happen gun or no gun. Ask relatives of terminal cancer patients if you doubt this.

That's my opinion.
Good point. A 12ga to the mouth is hardly a "cry for help".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top