JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been following @RangerEric 's thread and have a couple questions of my own but didn't want to muddy the other thread.
I'm wanting to do a simple budget project using a Palmetto PA10 rifle kit on a JMT 80% lower.
Palmetto is pretty tight lipped about compatability but it appears that the Gen2 is a low profile DPMS pattern (old Gen1 is high profile). Palmetto also advises against mixing their components with other manufacturers. JMT just states that their lower is "DPMS compliant", whatever that means. The interweb hasn't been a ton of help yet.

Can anyone confirm or deny compatability?

I've been following @RangerEric 's thread and have a couple questions of my own but didn't want to muddy the other thread.
I'm wanting to do a simple budget project using a Palmetto PA10 rifle kit on a JMT 80% lower.
Palmetto is pretty tight lipped about compatability but it appears that the Gen2 is a low profile DPMS pattern (old Gen1 is high profile). Palmetto also advises against mixing their components with other manufacturers. JMT just states that their lower is "DPMS compliant", whatever that means. The interweb hasn't been a ton of help yet.

Can anyone confirm or deny compatability?
Unless the 80% manufacturer can guarantee fitment with specific uppers....
There is enough incompatibility waiting for you even with a matched set, therefore I wouldn't volunteer for the 80% lower.

I would go with an Aero Precision receiver set.

I'm willing to look into just about any possible combination of options with the exception of being on the books. It's 80% or nothing for me...theoretically...if I were to ever own any guns.;)

Edit: I really wish PSA would start selling 80% lowers. Seems like a logical offering, given all the rifle kits they sell.

Last Edited:
I'm willing to look into just about any possible combination of options with the exception of being on the books. It's 80% or nothing for me...theoretically...if I were to ever own any guns.;)

Edit: I really wish PSA would start selling 80% lowers. Seems like a logical offering, given all the rifle kits they sell.
Well, I would find an 80% company that also produces an upper or can guarantee fitment with a specific upper from another manufacturer.

I recently finished my AR10 project. Used new parts; AP upper, lower and bolt, Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrel, Oden works grip, etc. Good, name brand stuff. Even still, there was some minor fitting involved to get everything together. I'd expect some of the same for your project.

If you're needing to fit things something is wrong
With an AR15 platform, I'd agree. With an AR10, respectfully there's just enough ambiguity in the different platforms that very minor fitting sometimes has to be done. Took the parts out to my gunsmith and they told me they'd seen small issues like mine before.

I've spent the last few days reading AR10 (yes, blanket term) build threads. It would seem that minor tweaking is the norm rather than the exception. I guess I could just buy a completed rifle, but what's the fun in that?

You can minimize the minor fitting by buying solid parts from solid folks. I bought what I wanted over a period of months as I could afford it. I ended up with exactly what I wanted, but it took a little to get everything exactly right. And, heck yes, it was worth it. I'd do it pretty much exactly the same again......:cool:

That was partially why I mentioned a PSA rifle kit in the 1st post. A barrelled assy would be pretty much the same thing. My main question was regarding the JMT lower and compatibility with uppers, specifically PSA to begin with. I think I've found most of the answers I was looking for.
I'd love to do a nice high-end scratch build but this project is more budget oriented. I'm no stranger to 80s and AR15s but the larger platform is new to me and certainly seems to have it's quirks.

Might as well show off the fruits of my labor....:D This is right after we finished putting it all together, before I got the scope mounted on it. Suppressor is a Silencerco Omega. The great guys out at Brimstone Gunsmithing took care of the cerakote and minor fitting. Very happy with how it turned out..!!

20180830_191250 (1).jpg

Fitting isn't acceptable . There is a right way and parts that fit perfect no fitting required . I've built a few (6)from stripped everything , never fitted anything
I could be wrong I guess , good luck fitting stuff together but if you are it's a sign .

Out of curiosity what are you guys running into that needs fitting ?

Right off the top of my head, KNS lower takedown pins wouldn't fit into the AP lower. Took a bit of gentle sanding with some 600 grit to get them to slip in and out, even snugly. And, no, the holes were not just full of cerakote. I suppose you're going to tell me that KNS or AP are out of spec parts.....

Fitting isn't acceptable . There is a right way and parts that fit perfect no fitting required . I've built a few (6)from stripped everything , never fitted anything
I could be wrong I guess , good luck fitting stuff together but if you are it's a sign .

Out of curiosity what are you guys running into that needs fitting ?
6 AR10 or 6 AR15 ?

Right off the top of my head, KNS lower takedown pins wouldn't fit into the AP lower. Took a bit of gentle sanding with some 600 grit to get them to slip in and out, even snugly. And, no, the holes were not just full of cerakote. I suppose you're going to tell me that KNS or AP are out of spec parts.....
No, AP lower parts kit contains the proper pins for the lower . It's only one pin actually that is specific to AP ..... kns is a gymic imo since your looking for something about me . So like I said proper parts . Don't get defensive , trying to help but since yall know what's up have fun "fitting" your custom 308's

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top