JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife saw a post on FB yesterday that a guy apparently snapped in his home and started shooting the place up, sending shots through the windows and into several other homes. Thankfully no one was hurt. But this happened just 2 blocks from where I live.

The report says the police took him in for psychiatric evaluation and they seized a number of "legally owned" guns.

According to the FB post, made by a neighbor who said 9 bullets entered her home, the man was likely to be released to go back home soon. They are trying to gather neighbors to petition that he not be allowed to return. The homes affected are 1/2 block from an elementary school. According to the FB post, apparently he already had issues with the law and a local DA was reviewing potential charges against him.

So, first we have a guy that's going to give the rest of us bad press - again. It will probably be made worse because of the very close proximity to the school and the high number of kids in the neighborhood.

I have to wonder though, if this guy had problems, should he have been home in the first place? Will this be another example of someone with problems, but nothing was done about it - until he snapped??

http://www.kptv.com/story/31456027/oregon-city-police-take-man-into-custody-after-shots-fired-call

What I don't understand is:

Isn't shooting up the house (along with other charges most likely) enough to keep him locked up?

I would think so, but not necessarily so. When I was a kid, one of our neighbors, just two houses down from us, came home drunk and tried to shoot his wife. He grazed her head, but she got away. The police flooded the area and took him into custody. He was back home, with his wife within about a month.

I'm glad it wasn't your place that got shot up! Shooting up your house and the neighborhood is a felony!
I guess I'm way too old school, my first thought was return fire with my M1-A. That would be good for the neighborhood!:confused:

I did a little digging on the guy, found the actual house where it happened and drove by - no signs of anything having happened, so I'm guessing the shot out windows must be on the side or back of the house. As for him, it looks like he's an employee at the Cabela's in Tualatin. I haven't 100% confirmed that yet, but it appears to be the case based on a little Googling.

It's still odd to me that both the police (Oregon City and Clackamas County) and SWAT team responded, and I never heard a thing. In a straight line this was 2 block from home and nothing. Even if they came in silent, I would expect all that commotion would have made for some noise in the neighborhood.

Just to update this incident. KPTV ran a story on this yesterday, including an interview with the shooter himself - Stephen Scholz. The most disturbing part of the interview is this comment from Mr. Scholz:

"I figured I'd just shoot at random because I had all these guns," Scholz said.

He then went on to say: "Hurting my neighbors is the last thing I want to do," Scholz adds. "I love them guys, I would lay down my life for them. They have families; I have nothing."

Listening to him in the interview, I was actually a bit surprised that they even allowed him to be interviewed. Seems to me this guy has got some serious mental health issues and he likely needs to be locked away for a time until he can get some in depth treatment.

I can't post the video of the interview here because this site won't allow embedding video from this source. But if you'd like to see it, here is the link to the story - you can find the video there: http://www.kptv.com/story/31469691/...-oregon-city-man-accused-of-shooting-his-home

Seeing this, I have to say I'm in agreement that I hope they hold on to this guy and not let him return home - he seems to be a potential threat to himself and to others.

I believe this is the situation that calls for the old quote "be kind to everyone but have a plan to kill them"
Never know who that guy that just moved in is.
(hope my neighbors don't read this thread,lol)

My back neighbor kept a loaded .308 in his bedroom - always worried me because of the density of our neighborhood. Great neighbor but I'm less nervous about rounds going thru my house in the middle of the night now that he has moved.

The link keeps locking my phone up but I did see and have a question, a mom said a bullet missed her son by about a "minute", is that a distance or time reference.

Sounds like that guy needed to go out to the range that day and would be in a lot less trouble...

im glad no one was hurt... and hope this doesnt hit the bigger news publications. The concerning thing to this story is his guns were legally purchased.

So is this now the normal thing for law enforcement to do, let the accused criminal be interviewed on tv so the accused criminal can completely bury themselves, or is this done only with white firearms owning individuals who are apparently completely out of touch with reality ? I mean really, what the he!! was that ? Where was this guys attorney, public defender, someone !!!

The link keeps locking my phone up but I did see and have a question, a mom said a bullet missed her son by about a "minute", is that a distance or time reference.

Sounds like that guy needed to go out to the range that day and would be in a lot less trouble...

I understood her meaning to be that he had just been where a bullet passed through a minute before. My guess is she probably doesn't know MOA...or does she ;)

im glad no one was hurt... and hope this doesnt hit the bigger news publications. The concerning thing to this story is his guns were legally purchased.

It sounds like he had some mental health crisis that only recently crept up. As more info comes out, it sounds like he recently lost someone very close to him. It would put in perspective his statement regarding his neighbors "They have families. I have nothing"

So is this now the normal thing for law enforcement to do, let the accused criminal be interviewed on tv so the accused criminal can completely bury themselves, or is this done only with white firearms owning individuals who are apparently completely out of touch with reality ? I mean really, what the he!! was that ? Where was this guys attorney, public defender, someone !!!

I don't get that at all. If this guy had a mental health crisis, why is he being interviewed? To prove he's lost it? I'm really surprised he was allowed to be interviewed by the media - it makes me wonder if someone's going to catch hell for allowing it.

If our mental health system wasn't such a pile of dung then maybe they would be able to help this guy.

As it is mental health professionals barely make more then teachers if any.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top