JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again, no evil assault rifle was used. No large capacity magazine. A S&W 45 semi auto handgun. Seems most of the recent shootings did not involve the evil AR.

If I was going to hold anyone accountable besides the shooter it would be the secnior command at Fort Hood for not beefing up security.

Security at most bases is a joke. It may make people who don't know any better, or don't pay attention feel better about things, but there are plenty of ways to get in with weapons, and once you are in, there are plenty of places unprotected by base police. Not allowing our military to defend themselves at home is a major national security concern.

Sounds like this guy might have just been a personal conflict though and not intending to become a "mass shooter". Or else he went about it very poorly.

When at TriTraFac we use to play with the red cell team trying to get on base during the late 1980's and onto submarines - guess what they did not win every time. I would say the odds were in there favor - we won once because they were talking in a little store off base and the clerk over heard what they were talking about, called it in and Red Cell team never got past the gate. Security if worked hard enough will always fail. Threats are always changing - security needs to respond.

As far as everyone being armed on base - guess you never spent any time in a barracks with a bunch of imature individuals under thier own cognzance for the first time away from Mom and Dad. I have not seen it all but I have seen enough which makes me question arming all individuals all the time on a military base. Wearing a uniform does not immedately make one mature, it makes you mature quickly. Based on what I saw I do not want everyone armed all the time. It is my opinion that suicide rates would climb and shootings would climb - it would be one service member shoooting the other over a girlfreind, or such. I think there should be a way for service members to be allowed to carry on base, quals and certs required. Remember this base is not a war zone - there is no war in our country. I do not feel the benefits suppport that on a military base at peace time in our country.

This is my opinion.

Fort Hood: Another gun-free zone shooting
:mad:

Some important facts have emerged in the hours following Wednesday's Fort Hood shooting, including one that is likely to be discussed with greater emphasis in the days ahead, and it got some attention from KVIs John Carlson during the morning drive time: Fort Hood – a military base – is essentially a "gun-free" zone.

<broken link removed>

I was listening to Fox News this morning and a navy official was talking about what happens when there was an easy availability to personal firearms. He talked about the many incidences of violence using a gun when the rules for personal carry were relaxed. At one time, I ran a business on the Navy base in New London Connecticut. Part of the base was a large training command and the rate of suicide in that command was heart rendering. There's no way to explain why so many young sailors decided to take their own lives.

I don't have any answers, but this event, and the associated discussion of mental instability, makes me pause to re-examine my opinions.

When at TriTraFac we use to play with the red cell team trying to get on base during the late 1980's and onto submarines - guess what they did not win every time. I would say the odds were in there favor - we won once because they were talking in a little store off base and the clerk over heard what they were talking about, called it in and Red Cell team never got past the gate. Security if worked hard enough will always fail. Threats are always changing - security needs to respond.

As far as everyone being armed on base - guess you never spent any time in a barracks with a bunch of imature individuals under thier own cognzance for the first time away from Mom and Dad. I have not seen it all but I have seen enough which makes me question arming all individuals all the time on a military base. Wearing a uniform does not immedately make one mature, it makes you mature quickly. Based on what I saw I do not want everyone armed all the time. It is my opinion that suicide rates would climb and shootings would climb - it would be one service member shoooting the other over a girlfreind, or such. I think there should be a way for service members to be allowed to carry on base, quals and certs required. Remember this base is not a war zone - there is no war in our country. I do not feel the benefits suppport that on a military base at peace time in our country.

This is my opinion.

I, wholeheartedly disagree.. If a person is over 21 and has a COncealed Handgun license they should have the right to conceal carry on base just like any other American.. If they have the right to own a gun and the base is their residence, they have the right to possess a gun in their quarter. Being immature, young, etc is not grounds to deny somebody their RKBA. And, being that these are soldiers, who will defend our country and put their lives on the line, not to mention that it has been proven time and time again, that they are targets for terrorists, both international and domestic, I think every soldier should be armed all the time.

This is my opinion.. Everyone is entitled to one. I am against gun control.. I never buy into the propaganda about their being less suicides, accidents, etc. And, as we saw in this incidence, if a soldier wants to get access to a gun, banning guns on base has very little effect, but instead, makes our soldiers helpless.

Yesterday, could have been even worse had the man not been stopped. There could have been even 20 -30 people killed. Not to mention how many people are wounded and now may be paraplegics, missing limbs or suffering permanent injuries. We always overlook the wounded in these incidents as well. When an armed madman runs into a concentrated area of unarmed, helpless people, it is just luck and fate at that point..

I never want to rely on a security guard to save my life.. Some low-wage earner, who may or may not be well-trained to come and save me, because I am unarmed, helpless and trapped, thanks to stupid bureaucratic regulations.. No, our soldiers deserve too much respect to be slaughtered like helpless sheep.

We disagree then based on my earlier reasoning.
I think we need to ban all cars, you too my friend, have you ever been out on the street and seen how irresponsible all of the drivers are on the road. Doesn't matter what age they are either. Oh, while we are at it I think all free speech should be banned as well because people just say so many irresponsible things. Shaking my head here. Point is that we don't get to strip people of their rights based on what they might do. Tell me something, over in the sandbox where do those soldiers keep the firearms issued to them when they sleep? Do they turn them in to the armory each evening?

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel. Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

Well, Ivan killed himself when confronted by an armed guard. Good guy with a gun stops a bad guy again.

Also, gun was sold by same shop that sold Nidal his gun. Of course the media is trying to connect the shootings to the shop.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

If you were ever in the service you would understand that during that time you no longer have all the rights you do as a civilian - During your time of service your rights have been restircted. Just try speaking out against the military while in uniform. I have no idea as to what occurs in the sand box - ever been there? As far as driving as long as you have passed your test and met the requirements go for it - but even then you cant drive every where you want - there are places that are still restricted. Federal property has strong and stringent requirements - guess what, they say no carrying of firearms unless you are performing your duties. Don't like it too bad.

Reid's Fort Hood reaction: 'Let's revisit expanded background checks'

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid today fell back on the gun control lobby's current Holy Grail solution to mass shootings in reaction to yesterday's Fort Hood attack, telling the Washington Post that Congress should once again discuss expanding the federal background check.

<broken link removed>

That is insane - repeating the same thing and expecting a different result.
Rediscussion of back ground checks once again.

If you were ever in the service you would understand that during that time you no longer have all the rights you do as a civilian - During your time of service your rights have been restircted. ........
Incorrect assumption. Having served I know all too well that the rights are restricted. Hence my comment above in that military personnel don't have the luxury to avoid a gun free zone and therefore at least some of the responsibility for this lands squarely on the shoulders of those responsible for setting this policy.

.........I have no idea as to what occurs in the sand box - ever been there?.......
Not personally, my Son has though and therefore I have inside information. I'm just thankful that he is not at Ft. Hood anymore although it doesn't make me much more comfortable as he is still being placed at risk because of this policy.

......As far as driving as long as you have passed your test and met the requirements go for it - .......
And with all of those restrictions we still have stupid people in cars killing people. Therefore the only answer I see is to take away the right entirely. It's an absurd notion but no different than the one we are discussing here.

......Federal property has strong and stringent requirements - guess what, they say no carrying of firearms unless you are performing your duties. Don't like it too bad....
Sorry, I must have missed the spot in the constitution that it describes the boundaries that apply to our second amendment. Please let me know where it is. After all if it is Federal Land then it belongs to the US Government and therefore belongs to "We the People". Seems too many forget that. We the People have the power to change it if we choose to do so.

Now I will concede that in some cases it is okay to restrict the right to keep and bear arms on a military installation. In those cases though it is their responsibility to insure that there are no firearms in those locations. That means they are controlled areas where each and every person is searched to be sure that no one can get a firearm into that location. I.E. The same type or perhaps even stricter than what we have at courthouses and airports. Anything short of that places those personnel at risk because someone bent on ill will is not going to pay attention to the laws and regulations.

You just go ahead and carry on Federal property and prove us all wrong - what I suspect is that you will be arrested unless you have been given permission to do so first which I suspect you will never get - could be wrong. By the way show that constitution to the judge and see if they let you go because of it.
In theory I agree with what you state however there is a big difference between what is and what should be. By the way the same people that will arrest you are the ones saying that it is illegal.
I worked at Mare Island Naval Shipyard in the early 1980's - it is pretty difficult to search everything going in or coming out. I have to assume that other places have the same problems.

p.S I am happy your son is out of the sand box.

Last Edited:
You just go ahead and carry on Federal property and prove us all wrong - what I suspect is that you will be arrested unless you have been given permission to do so first which I suspect you will never get - could be wrong...........
If I have my way (which remains to be seen) then it will get changed so that I could do so without being arrested. Or at the very least so that my Son and the other soldiers are not walking targets for those that ignore the laws and regulations. What remains to be seen is whether "We the People" are able to get on the same page collectively to enact the change.

..........By the way show that constitution to the judge and see if they let you go because of it.........
While it is rare there are cases where Judges have thrown charges out simply based on constitutional arguments. I personally don't think I would try to exercise such fortitude myself at this time because I am still a scholar regarding the constitution.

In theory I agree with what you state however there is a big difference between what is and what should be........
True, therefore the only option I see is to try to make it right. I avoid going on base whenever possible as I avoid gun free zones at all opportunity.

........I worked at Mare Island Naval Shipyard in the early 1980's - it is pretty difficult to search everything going in or coming out.......
Correct, therefore the policy endangers people because you can't guarantee that the area that is supposed to be Gun Free actually is free of guns.

p.S I am happy your son is out of the sand box.
Thanks, you and me both. I hope he doesn't have to go back again however I am proud that he decided to follow in the footsteps of the 3 generations that proceeded him to serve this great country.

I do believe that for the perpetrator justice is served. There are others that shoulder some responsibility (all of congress for instance) and therefore perhaps they can get some justice there. Obviously what he really means though is that he will find an outlet to provide an appearance of justice though and will use this to attack law abiding people instead.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top