Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Another Effective Background Check

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by CEF1959, Jul 29, 2009.

1. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

2. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Unfortunately the logic going forward is that the background check "obviously isn't enough" so "we have to do more!"

3. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

I hear this is a common question at indoor ranges....

Or at least at the Clackamas County PSTC. (or so I hear)

4. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

I'v never been to an indoor range, is it common/standard that they do background checks on there customers

5. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

At the Clackamas County PSTC there isn't a background check. You fill out a few bits of paperwork regarding liability, etc. You watch a video about safety, you take a test, pass it and you are good to go.

You can shoot your own guns, their ammo only. If you want to rent a gun you need to bring your own. That way you can't just walk in off the street, pay a little and commit suicide with their guns. They figure that if you have your own gun already, you would commit suicide at home and not at the range....

6. uscsoldier

uscsoldier Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

:thumbup:

7. gallogiro

gallogiro Willamette Valley Active Member

Ann Fukuyama... Hmm... that's an interesting last name. Sounds a lot like F*** ya mama. It would be torture to grow up with that name.

8. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Didnt something like this happen in florida, where the mom shot her son then herself. Terrible. Noticing her name is japanese at least she didn't knife herself and whack her guts everywhere. And for the ignorant people out there my dads name was Phuc Tran, imagine being in the army with that name like he was lol.

9. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

We had a lady years ago purchase a firearm from us. The background check was delayed and she left until we were to call her. About 30 minutes after she left, we got a call from a friend of hers asking me if she had been in trying to purchase a gun. She told me that she was going to commit suicide. We got the police involved and she canceled her purchase.

10. gallogiro

Sorry to hear that, I hope you didn't inheret the family name, lol. No worries, I had a lot of vietnamese friends growing up in California and Phuc was actually more common than one might think.

11. charliedavidson

charliedavidson United States New Member

There's a similar article i read about four separate gun range shooting suicides in florida..

it's really just sick that they do this in this places.. i'm not saying they do it somewhere else.. but man, it just makes it difficult for the rest of us after the whole media and political frenzy..

12. gallogiro

what I wonder is what good would a background check do in these situations? A crime was not committed with the firearm after it was rented. Background checks will not give mental evaluations.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  13. gallogiro

Sorry I was not done, I'm using my cell to reply. Anyways, a background check will provide criminal history. I'm sure there are a lot of suicidal folks out there with clean records. Am I making any sense?

14. charliedavidson

charliedavidson United States New Member

yeah, you make perfect sense, perhaps the use is to prevent people with previous violence records or psychotic treatments from renting guns.. but i guess no matter how we look at it, there's really isn't a fool proof thing we could do to prevent these things from happening, but a background check might help a little bit, but it definitely wouldn't prevent it all together..

on top of my head, the only thing i could think about is a psychological evaluation for anyone who wants to rent guns, but that would be impractical and silly, and i wouldn't want to go through one everytime i want to fire a few rounds..