Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Another Disaster Book

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by speeddemon94, Jan 6, 2013.

1. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

It is fiction, but it runs along the lines of alternate history, and how groups of people cope and survive...and dont.

I talked to the author back and forth while I was in Afghanistan, fantastic author. Books are largely based in Oregon.

Dies the Fire is the first in the series. They really are good reads. Looks at lots of angles to survival you would not likely think about, due to some very unique circumstances.

S.M. Stirling

2. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I read it about six months ago. Pretty good. The wiccan stuff got a little tiresome, but overall it was a good read. Also, I liked the Oregon setting.

3. packman

packman coast Active Member

keep reading the series I have read them all and almost finished with the latest one in the series

4. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

I'm 2 books behind, and yeah the wiccan stuff goes a bit extreme, but I guess things in that type of world would be that way. I guess I need to get to the bookstore.

5. Cortes

Cortes Tualatin Active Member

I think SM Stirling is a great author and I have read a lot of his books. I've read all of this series except the last one, was thinking to wait and get it from the library, due to...

My main objection besides the silly Wicca stuff is the endless descriptions of what people are eating, what they are wearing, etc. Overall a great series, and I especially loved the first two or three books, but really it would have been better done with about 50% less words.

This whole story line should have been wrapped up a book or two ago.

6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Big S M Stirling fan for years.